Old 05-25-2012, 03:30 AM
wenpin cui

Default How to access newsgroup?

hi, all,

I want to read some newsgroup so emerged net-nntp/slrn.

Then I uncompressed "/usr/share/doc/slrn-0.9.9_p1/slrn.rc.bz2" and modify
username/hostname/realname, then saved as $HOME/.slrnrc.

After that, I run

wenpincui@Gentoo ~ $ slrn --create -h news.newsgroup.com.hk
slrn 0.9.9p1

Reading startup file /home/wenpincui/.slrnrc.***Warning: Unable to find a unique fully-qualified host name.
slrn will not generate any Message-IDs.
Please note that the "hostname" setting does not affect this;
see the "slrn reference manual" for details.

Using newsrc file /home/wenpincui/.jnewsrc for server news.newsgroup.com.hk.
Connecting to host news.newsgroup.com.hk ...
Unable to make connection. Giving up.

Run-Time Error
slrn fatal error:
Failed to initialize server.

My question is:
Am I using slrn correctly?
If so, maybe it's resulted by damn firewall, I have to give up.

--

Best regards
Wenpin Cui (崔文频)

Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 25/05/12 06:30, wenpin cui wrote:
> hi, all,
>
> I want to read some newsgroup so emerged net-nntp/slrn.
>
> Then I uncompressed "/usr/share/doc/slrn-0.9.9_p1/slrn.rc.bz2" and modify
> username/hostname/realname, then saved as $HOME/.slrnrc.
>
> After that, I run
>
> wenpincui@Gentoo ~ $ slrn --create -h news.newsgroup.com.hk
> slrn 0.9.9p1

Shouldn't that be "news.newsgroups.com.hk"? (With an "s".)

Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 AM
wenpin cui

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 06:39:07AM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 25/05/12 06:30, wenpin cui wrote:
> > hi, all,
> >
> > I want to read some newsgroup so emerged net-nntp/slrn.
> >
> > Then I uncompressed "/usr/share/doc/slrn-0.9.9_p1/slrn.rc.bz2" and modify
> > username/hostname/realname, then saved as $HOME/.slrnrc.
> >
> > After that, I run
> >
> > wenpincui@Gentoo ~ $ slrn --create -h news.newsgroup.com.hk
> > slrn 0.9.9p1
>
> Shouldn't that be "news.newsgroups.com.hk"? (With an "s".)

Still no luck

wenpincui@Gentoo ~ $ slrn --create -h news.newsgroups.com.hk
slrn 0.9.9p1

Reading startup file /home/wenpincui/.slrnrc.***Warning: Unable to find a unique fully-qualified host name.
slrn will not generate any Message-IDs.
Please note that the "hostname" setting does not affect this;
see the "slrn reference manual" for details.

Using newsrc file /home/wenpincui/.jnewsrc for server news.newsgroups.com.hk.
Connecting to host news.newsgroups.com.hk ...
Failed to resolve news.newsgroups.com.hk

Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Adam Carter

> * *Using newsrc file /home/wenpincui/.jnewsrc for server news.newsgroups.com.hk.
> * *Connecting to host news.newsgroups.com.hk ...
> * *Failed to resolve news.newsgroups.com.hk

So the host is not called news.newsgroups.com.hk.

$ host news.newsgroups.com.hk
Host news.newsgroups.com.hk not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$ host -t NS newsgroups.com.hk
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns11.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns10.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns13.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns14.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns15.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns12.dnsmadeeasy.com.

So newsgroups.com.hk is a real domain, but the hostname in that domain
is not "news". You'll need to double check what the hostname is.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Using newsrc file /home/wenpincui/.jnewsrc for server news.newsgroups.com.hk.
Connecting to host news.newsgroups.com.hk ...
Failed to resolve news.newsgroups.com.hk

So the host is not called news.newsgroups.com.hk.

$ host news.newsgroups.com.hk
Host news.newsgroups.com.hk not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$ host -t NS newsgroups.com.hk
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns11.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns10.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns13.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns14.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns15.dnsmadeeasy.com.
newsgroups.com.hk name server ns12.dnsmadeeasy.com.

So newsgroups.com.hk is a real domain, but the hostname in that domain
is not "news". You'll need to double check what the hostname is.

Hmm, his original hostname works though:

$ host news.newsgroup.com.hk
news.newsgroup.com.hk has address 59.188.5.218

Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 AM
wenpin cui

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 08:14:45AM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 25/05/12 07:46, Adam Carter wrote:
> >> Using newsrc file /home/wenpincui/.jnewsrc for server news.newsgroups.com.hk.
> >> Connecting to host news.newsgroups.com.hk ...
> >> Failed to resolve news.newsgroups.com.hk
> >
> > So the host is not called news.newsgroups.com.hk.
> >
> > $ host news.newsgroups.com.hk
> > Host news.newsgroups.com.hk not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
> > $ host -t NS newsgroups.com.hk
> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns11.dnsmadeeasy.com.
> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns10.dnsmadeeasy.com.
> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns13.dnsmadeeasy.com.
> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns14.dnsmadeeasy.com.
> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns15.dnsmadeeasy.com.
> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns12.dnsmadeeasy.com.
> >
> > So newsgroups.com.hk is a real domain, but the hostname in that domain
> > is not "news". You'll need to double check what the hostname is.
>
> Hmm, his original hostname works though:
>
> $ host news.newsgroup.com.hk
> news.newsgroup.com.hk has address 59.188.5.218

hey, guys,

actually it's not newsgroup(s).com.hk issue.
other usenet server like "news.cn99.com" can't be accessed, neither.

I've checked with IT administator, port 119 was blocked. So ...

TIA.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:30:44AM +0800, wenpin cui wrote:
> hi, all,
>
> I want to read some newsgroup so emerged net-nntp/slrn.
>
> Then I uncompressed "/usr/share/doc/slrn-0.9.9_p1/slrn.rc.bz2" and modify
> username/hostname/realname, then saved as $HOME/.slrnrc.
>
> After that, I run
>
> wenpincui@Gentoo ~ $ slrn --create -h news.newsgroup.com.hk
> slrn 0.9.9p1

> Reading startup file /home/wenpincui/.slrnrc.***Warning: Unable to find a unique fully-qualified host name.
> slrn will not generate any Message-IDs.
> Please note that the "hostname" setting does not affect this;
> see the "slrn reference manual" for details.
>
> Using newsrc file /home/wenpincui/.jnewsrc for server news.newsgroup.com.hk.
> Connecting to host news.newsgroup.com.hk ...
> Unable to make connection. Giving up.
>
> Run-Time Error
> slrn fatal error:
> Failed to initialize server.
>
> My question is:
> Am I using slrn correctly?
> If so, maybe it's resulted by damn firewall, I have to give up.
>
> --
>
> Best regards
> Wenpin Cui (????????
> Hangzhou, Zhejiang, PRC
> Tel: +86-0571-86726288 ext:8095

Wenpin, make sure you have the nnrpaccess line in there, if your server
requires password:

nnrpaccess "your.news.server.com" "username" "password"

Also, make sure you set the NNTPSERVER environment variable so slrn knows
what server to connect to. Have you set that variable yet?

Terry

Old 05-25-2012, 02:14 PM

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 01:33:28PM +0800, wenpin cui wrote:

> hey, guys,
>
> actually it's not newsgroup(s).com.hk issue.
> other usenet server like "news.cn99.com" can't be accessed, neither.
>
> I've checked with IT administator, port 119 was blocked. So ...

> Best regards
> Wenpin Cui (????????
> Hangzhou, Zhejiang, PRC
> Tel: +86-0571-86726288 ext:8095

Well, what do you expect out of the PRC, anyway? Good luck.

Terry

Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM, wenpin cui <wenpin.cui@samsung.com> wrote:

>> > So the host is not called news.newsgroups.com.hk.
>> >
>> > $ host news.newsgroups.com.hk
>> > Host news.newsgroups.com.hk not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>> > $ host -t NS newsgroups.com.hk
>> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns11.dnsmadeeasy.com.
>> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns10.dnsmadeeasy.com.
>> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns13.dnsmadeeasy.com.
>> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns14.dnsmadeeasy.com.
>> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns15.dnsmadeeasy.com.
>> > newsgroups.com.hk name server ns12.dnsmadeeasy.com.
>> >
>> > So newsgroups.com.hk is a real domain, but the hostname in that domain
>> > is not "news". You'll need to double check what the hostname is.
>>
>> Hmm, his original hostname works though:
>>
>> * *$ host news.newsgroup.com.hk
>> * *news.newsgroup.com.hk has address 59.188.5.218
>>

> hey, guys,
>
> * *actually it's not newsgroup(s).com.hk issue.
> * *other usenet server like "news.cn99.com" can't be accessed, neither.
>
> * *I've checked with IT administator, port 119 was blocked. So ...

Check with your news provider to see if they have alternative ports
open, or run a portscan with nmap. Otherwise consider using a
different news provider. Many commercial providers allows access on
other ports and SSL encrypted connections on port 563.

Also, if you have IPv6 connectivity, try finding a news host on IPv6.
Sometimes a port is blocked on IPv4 but they forget to block it on
IPv6.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:59 AM
wenpin cui

> Well, what do you expect out of the PRC, anyway? Good luck.
>
> Terry

This is resulted by company's security policy. I can login in newsgroup at home.

It's OK, at lease mailist was not blocked.

Thank you.