Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Jesús J. Guerrero Botella

Default wpa_supplicant annoyances (mask_service_inactive)

So, wpa_supplicant never worked fine. It's been giving me headache
since day zero, but I've been -mostly- able to handle it in one or
another way.

Yesterday I rebooted (I rarely do), and another horror story begun.
Now I am getting this messages at init:

Código:
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
* Restoring Mixer Levels ... [ ok ]
* Starting D-BUS system messagebus ... [ ok ]
* Starting metalog ... [ ok ]
* Starting ConsoleKit daemon ... [ ok ]
* Bringing up interface wlan0
* Starting wpa_supplicant on wlan0 ... [ ok ]
* mark_service_inactive: unknown applet
* Starting wpa_cli on wlan0 ... [ ok ]
* Backgrounding ... ...
* ERROR: net.wlan0 failed to start
* Starting cupsd ... [ ok ]
* ERROR: cannot start fail2ban as net.wlan0 would not start
* ERROR: cannot start netmount as net.wlan0 would not start
* ERROR: cannot start samba as net.wlan0 would not start
* Starting S.M.A.R.T. monitoring daemon ... [ ok ]
* Starting sshd ... [ ok ]
* Doing udev cleanups
* Starting vixie-cron ... [ ok ]
* Starting local [ ok ]

This is Jesus-PC.O (Linux x86_64 3.4.0) 00:34:56

Jesus-PC login:

For the most part, wpa_supplicant seems to start fine though. I can
reach the net and everything works... well... maybe 7 times out of 10.
Sometimes I have to kill everything related to wpa_supplicant and
restart the net.wlan0 service, while I cross my fingers in the hope to
reach the internet.

But what annoys me the most is the fact that many important services
do not start because they depend on net.wlan0, which spits out these
errors disrupting the init process.

I've been using this for some time now, and I changed the config a lot
of times. Always had problems. The last time I set this up I removed
everything from /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/conf.d/wpa_supplicant, and
let it did it's automatic job instead. So far, it's working... some
random times. The errors always show though. And they screw up the
init. The worst is that it bits sshd, which leaves me without remote
access any random day. Ugh.

So, any idea where to start looking?
--
Jesús Guerrero Botella

Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Mick

On 24 May 2012 11:50, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella
<jesus.guerrero.botella@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, wpa_supplicant never worked fine. It's been giving me headache
> since day zero, but I've been -mostly- able to handle it in one or
> another way.
>
> Yesterday I rebooted (I rarely do), and another horror story begun.
> Now I am getting this messages at init:

> ** Bringing up interface wlan0
> ** * Starting wpa_supplicant on wlan0 ... * * * * * * * * * * * * *[ ok ]
> ** * mark_service_inactive: unknown applet
> ** * Starting wpa_cli on wlan0 ... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [ ok ]
> ** * Backgrounding ... ...
> ** ERROR: net.wlan0 failed to start

> So, any idea where to start looking?

Add -dd in your /etc/conf.d/net to increase the log verbosity and then
look in your syslog messages.

You can also try invoking wpa_supplicant in a terminal and see what it
spews out.

BTW, just pointing the obvious ... if this is a laptop have you
checked with rfkill that the hardware is switched on?
Mick