Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 PM
walt

Default CPU temperature monitoring?

I bought this desktop 4-core machine during the coolest part
of the year and until very recently I could barely hear the
CPU fan except for about one second during power-up when
the fan spins way up and then quickly slows down.

Now it's hotter than Hades here and I'm very much aware of
the fan noise, but I can't tell if the fan is beginning
to fail (the noise sounds a bit harsh to me) or something
is merely controlling the speed appropriately.

The machines BIOS has no settings whatever concerning the
fan or temperature warnings, etc. so I have no idea how
to find out the CPU temp.

The k10temp kernel module loads automatically at boot with
no errors, so I just hope something (somewhere) is taking
care of this stuff automatically. But I'm only hoping,
not knowing.

Any ideas how to find out for sure?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2012, 16:37:01 schrieb walt:
> I bought this desktop 4-core machine during the coolest part
> of the year and until very recently I could barely hear the
> CPU fan except for about one second during power-up when
> the fan spins way up and then quickly slows down.
>
> Now it's hotter than Hades here and I'm very much aware of
> the fan noise, but I can't tell if the fan is beginning
> to fail (the noise sounds a bit harsh to me) or something
> is merely controlling the speed appropriately.
>
> The machines BIOS has no settings whatever concerning the
> fan or temperature warnings, etc. so I have no idea how
> to find out the CPU temp.
>
> The k10temp kernel module loads automatically at boot with
> no errors, so I just hope something (somewhere) is taking
> care of this stuff automatically. But I'm only hoping,
> not knowing.
>
> Any ideas how to find out for sure?

sensors

--
#163933

Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Alex Schuster

walt writes:

> Now it's hotter than Hades here and I'm very much aware of
> the fan noise, but I can't tell if the fan is beginning
> to fail (the noise sounds a bit harsh to me) or something
> is merely controlling the speed appropriately.
>
> The machines BIOS has no settings whatever concerning the
> fan or temperature warnings, etc. so I have no idea how
> to find out the CPU temp.

Strange.

> The k10temp kernel module loads automatically at boot with
> no errors, so I just hope something (somewhere) is taking
> care of this stuff automatically. But I'm only hoping,
> not knowing.
>
> Any ideas how to find out for sure?

emerge sys-apps/lm_sensors, run 'sensors-detect', and hopefully the
'sensors' command will show you the fan speeds and temperatures then. And
maybe the output makes sense. Here it does that only partially, this is
what it looks like:

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +9.9C (high = +70.0C)
(crit = +70.0C, hyst = +67.0C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
Adapter: PCI adapter
power1: 86.04 W (crit = 95.04 W)

nct6775-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
Vcore: +0.93 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
in1: +1.66 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
AVCC: +3.30 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
+3.3V: +3.30 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
in4: +0.06 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
in5: +1.86 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
in6: +0.06 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
3VSB: +3.42 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
Vbat: +3.50 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
fan1: 1155 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8) ALARM
fan2: 1054 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
fan3: 540 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 64) ALARM
fan4: 0 RPM (div = 128)
SYSTIN: +37.0C (high = +0.0C, hyst = +0.0C) ALARM sensor =
thermistor
CPUTIN: +37.0C (high = +80.0C, hyst = +75.0C) sensor =
thermistor
AUXTIN: +127.5C (high = +80.0C, hyst = +75.0C) ALARM sensor =
thermistor
cpu0_vid: +0.000 V
intrusion0: ALARM

Wonko

Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 24 May 2012 01:59:40 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> > The k10temp kernel module loads automatically at boot with
> > no errors, so I just hope something (somewhere) is taking
> > care of this stuff automatically. But I'm only hoping,
> > not knowing.
> >
> > Any ideas how to find out for sure?
>
> emerge sys-apps/lm_sensors, run 'sensors-detect', and hopefully the
> 'sensors' command will show you the fan speeds and temperatures then.

You can also read the temperatures directly from /sys. On this Intel core
powered box they are in /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.*

--
Neil Bothwick

I don't know what makes you tick but I wish it was a time bomb.