Old 05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Chris Stankevitz

Default Understanding new ruby dependencies

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Hans de Graaff <graaff@gentoo.org> wrote:
> For now this should be
>
> RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19"

As you all suspected, I updated /etc/make.conf, "emerge --newuse
--deep world && emerge -Du world" and all is well. Here are the lines
I added:

# 2012-MAY-22 ruby19 is required but is not in the profile (yet)
RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19"

Thank you all,

Chris

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Hans de Graaff

On Tue, 22 May 2012 23:35:21 -0700, Chris Stankevitz wrote:

> 1. What on my system is insisting on make.conf RUBY 1.9 USE_EXPAND
> changes? An emerge --tree is not giving me a clear answer (as it
> usually does). The original post in this thread provides a pastebin
> link to back up this claim.

It is implicit. dev-lang/ruby:1.9 requires a new enough version of rdoc
with this particular USE flag enabled.

> 2. If the answer to (1) is "the gentoo system itself", then why doesn't
> "the gentoo system itself" update the USE_EXPAND by adding a reference
> to ruby19? It appears "the gentoo system itself" presently only enables
> the ruby18 USE_EXPAND.
> base $ find /usr/portage/profiles/ | xargs grep RUBY_TARGETS=
> /usr/portage/profiles/base/make.defaults:RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18"

Right. We'll add ruby19 to that shortly. The reason we did not do that
before was that we wanted to ease into ruby19, but there seem to be
plenty of people that have a package depending on dev-lang/ruby on their
system, so that plan didn't work very well.

> 4. I run a "stable" system that is somehow insisting on ruby19. This
> webpage http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/prog_lang/ruby/index.xml says
> ruby19 is not for use on production systems. Why the disconnect?
> Perhaps the ruby page is just out of date.

Correct conclusion, and I've just updated it for the various ruby
implementations.

> Thank you for listening to me list the issues I am ignorant on. Now I'm
> going to add RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19" to my make.conf and hope things "just
> work".

At this point I would recommend RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19".

Kind regards,

Hans