FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Uwe Thiem
 
Default blocking package can't be found

Hi folks,

emerge --update world tells me:
[blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)

emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am tells me:
--- Couldn't find 'gtk-doc-am' to unmerge.

So let's be more specific:
emerge --unmerge =dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10 tells me:
--- Couldn't find '=dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10' to unmerge.

Now what?

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Dale
 
Default blocking package can't be found

Uwe Thiem wrote:

Hi folks,

emerge --update world tells me:
[blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)


emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am tells me:
--- Couldn't find 'gtk-doc-am' to unmerge.

So let's be more specific:
emerge --unmerge =dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10 tells me:
--- Couldn't find '=dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10' to unmerge.

Now what?

Uwe





Equery list gtk-doc and see what it says is installed. It may not be
that exact version. Ran into something similar a while back.


Dale

:-) :-)



--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Uwe Thiem
 
Default blocking package can't be found

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Dale wrote:
> Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > emerge --update world tells me:
> > [blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
> > dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)
> >
> > emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am tells me:
> > --- Couldn't find 'gtk-doc-am' to unmerge.
> >
> > So let's be more specific:
> > emerge --unmerge =dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10 tells me:
> > --- Couldn't find '=dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10' to unmerge.
> >
> > Now what?
> >
> > Uwe
>
> Equery list gtk-doc and see what it says is installed. It may not
> be that exact version. Ran into something similar a while back.

uwix uwe # equery list gtk-doc-am
[ Searching for package 'gtk-doc-am' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
uwix uwe # equery list gtk-doc
[ Searching for package 'gtk-doc' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2 (0)

gtk-doc-1.8-r2 is the package that gets blocked, it isn't installed
yet..

More interesting is that the first equery didn't list anything, but
the gtk-doc-am ebuild exists:
uwix uwe # ls /usr/portage/dev-util/gtk-doc-am
ChangeLog Manifest gtk-doc-am-1.10.ebuild metadata.xml

Grrrr. Wanted to let a long compile sesses run overnight - and now
this! Conspiracies. All around me. Against my innocent self.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Iain Buchanan
 
Default blocking package can't be found

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 19:51 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Dale wrote:
> > Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > emerge --update world tells me:
> > > [blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
> > > dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)
> > >
> > > emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am tells me:
> > > --- Couldn't find 'gtk-doc-am' to unmerge.
> > >
> > > So let's be more specific:
> > > emerge --unmerge =dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10 tells me:
> > > --- Couldn't find '=dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10' to unmerge.
> > >
> > > Now what?

heh heh!

> > Equery list gtk-doc and see what it says is installed. It may not
> > be that exact version. Ran into something similar a while back.
>
> uwix uwe # equery list gtk-doc-am
> [ Searching for package 'gtk-doc-am' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> uwix uwe # equery list gtk-doc
> [ Searching for package 'gtk-doc' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> [I--] [ ] dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2 (0)
>
> gtk-doc-1.8-r2 is the package that gets blocked, it isn't installed
> yet..

yes it is! equery just told you so!

> More interesting is that the first equery didn't list anything, but
> the gtk-doc-am ebuild exists:
> uwix uwe # ls /usr/portage/dev-util/gtk-doc-am
> ChangeLog Manifest gtk-doc-am-1.10.ebuild metadata.xml

yes, the ebuild exists, but it's not installed! Therefore equery didn't
show it to you.

> Grrrr. Wanted to let a long compile sesses run overnight - and now
> this! Conspiracies. All around me. Against my innocent self.



I think it just means gtk-doc-am wants a newer gtk-doc, so it's blocking
the one you have installed. You need to uninstall gtk-doc, and then you
can install a newer gtk-doc and gtk-doc-am.
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

Quid me anxius sum?

[ What? Me, worry? ]

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 AM
 
Default blocking package can't be found

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 19:51 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Dale wrote:
> > Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > emerge --update world tells me:
> > > [blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
> > > dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)
> > >
> > > emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am tells me:
> > > --- Couldn't find 'gtk-doc-am' to unmerge.
> > >
> > > So let's be more specific:
> > > emerge --unmerge =dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10 tells me:
> > > --- Couldn't find '=dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10' to unmerge.
> > >
> > > Now what?

heh heh!

> > Equery list gtk-doc and see what it says is installed. It may not
> > be that exact version. Ran into something similar a while back.
>
> uwix uwe # equery list gtk-doc-am
> [ Searching for package 'gtk-doc-am' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> uwix uwe # equery list gtk-doc
> [ Searching for package 'gtk-doc' in all categories among: ]
> * installed packages
> [I--] [ ] dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2 (0)
>
> gtk-doc-1.8-r2 is the package that gets blocked, it isn't installed
> yet..

yes it is! equery just told you so!

> More interesting is that the first equery didn't list anything, but
> the gtk-doc-am ebuild exists:
> uwix uwe # ls /usr/portage/dev-util/gtk-doc-am
> ChangeLog Manifest gtk-doc-am-1.10.ebuild metadata.xml

yes, the ebuild exists, but it's not installed! Therefore equery didn't
show it to you.

> Grrrr. Wanted to let a long compile sesses run overnight - and now
> this! Conspiracies. All around me. Against my innocent self.



I think it just means gtk-doc-am wants a newer gtk-doc, so it's blocking
the one you have installed. You need to uninstall gtk-doc, and then you
can install a newer gtk-doc and gtk-doc-am.
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

Quid me anxius sum?

[ What? Me, worry? ]

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list


**********************

Exactly, from gtk-doc-am's ebuild we get:

DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
!<=dev-utils/gtk-doc-1.10"

That seems gtk-doc-am can't be installed if gtk-doc is older than version
gtk-doc-1.0 and you seem to be working with gtk-doc-1.8-r2. As Iain
Buchanan said, uninstall gtk-doc and run everything, that should work.

Abraham

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Uwe Thiem
 
Default blocking package can't be found

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> I think it just means gtk-doc-am wants a newer gtk-doc, so it's
> blocking the one you have installed. You need to uninstall
> gtk-doc, and then you can install a newer gtk-doc and gtk-doc-am.

It works. Thanks! But I don't understand why. Emerge clearly said that
gtk-doc-am blocked gtk-doc, not the other way round. Uh, well...

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default blocking package can't be found

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> emerge --update world tells me:
> [blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
> dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)
>
> emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am tells me:
> --- Couldn't find 'gtk-doc-am' to unmerge.
>
> So let's be more specific:
> emerge --unmerge =dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10 tells me:
> --- Couldn't find '=dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10' to unmerge.

emerge -C gtk-doc

Look closely at the error message, it's like one of those optical
illusions where you don't quite get it first time :-)


--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Iain Buchanan
 
Default blocking package can't be found

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 09:11 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2008, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > I think it just means gtk-doc-am wants a newer gtk-doc, so it's
> > blocking the one you have installed. You need to uninstall
> > gtk-doc, and then you can install a newer gtk-doc and gtk-doc-am.
>
> It works. Thanks! But I don't understand why. Emerge clearly said that
> gtk-doc-am blocked gtk-doc, not the other way round. Uh, well...

gtk-doc-am _does_ block gtk-doc. Since you already have gtk-doc
installed, gtk-doc-am couldn't go ahead.

Often with a blocker, you don't have the blockee already installed. ie.
blocker-pkg blocks blockee-pkg, and both are required by other
ebuilds...
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

The magic of our first love is our ignorance that it can ever end.
-- Benjamin Disraeli

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Dale
 
Default blocking package can't be found

Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:


Hi folks,

emerge --update world tells me:
[blocks B ] dev-util/gtk-doc-am (is blocking
dev-util/gtk-doc-1.8-r2)

emerge --unmerge gtk-doc-am tells me:
--- Couldn't find 'gtk-doc-am' to unmerge.

So let's be more specific:
emerge --unmerge =dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10 tells me:
--- Couldn't find '=dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1.10' to unmerge.



emerge -C gtk-doc

Look closely at the error message, it's like one of those optical
illusions where you don't quite get it first time :-)






Well said. I'm still not sure I get it. I would have went to console
and unmerged the whole lot and started over. LOL


Dale

:-) :-)
--

gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Uwe Thiem
 
Default blocking package can't be found

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> gtk-doc-am _does_ block gtk-doc. Since you already have gtk-doc
> installed, gtk-doc-am couldn't go ahead.
>
> Often with a blocker, you don't have the blockee already installed.
> ie. blocker-pkg blocks blockee-pkg, and both are required by other
> ebuilds...

I must be extraordinarily dense these days. I don't get it. How can a
non-installed package block an installed one? Somehow this doesn't
want to penetrate my skull. :-(

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org