-   -   udevd boot messages (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/669105-udevd-boot-messages.html)

Jacques Montier 05-21-2012 09:15 AM

udevd boot messages

Hi everybody,

I updated udev from 171-r5 to 171-r6 and now i get several udevd boot
message as :
udevd[1389]: can not find '/lib/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules': No such
file or directory
udevd[1389]: can not find '/lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules': No such
file or directory
and so on.

/lib is a symlink pointing to /lib64.
/lib64/udev/rules.d is ok with all the rules that udevd does not find at
boot.
Is it because /boot, / and /usr are on separate partitions ?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

--
Jacques

Michael Hampicke 05-21-2012 02:27 PM

udevd boot messages

> I updated udev from 171-r5 to 171-r6 and now i get several udevd boot
> message as :
> udevd[1389]: can not find '/lib/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules': No such
> file or directory
> udevd[1389]: can not find '/lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules': No such
> file or directory
> and so on.
>
> /lib is a symlink pointing to /lib64.
> /lib64/udev/rules.d is ok with all the rules that udevd does not find at
> boot.

No I would guess it was because of the upgrade of sys-apps/baselayout to
2.1-r1. Things got crazy here with that upgrade. I had to re-merge every
package with files under /lib/
In your case re-merging udev should to the trick.

Jacques Montier 05-21-2012 03:41 PM

udevd boot messages

Le 21/05/2012 16:27, Michael Hampicke a écrit :
>> I updated udev from 171-r5 to 171-r6 and now i get several udevd boot
>> message as :
>> udevd[1389]: can not find '/lib/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules': No such
>> file or directory
>> udevd[1389]: can not find '/lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules': No such
>> file or directory
>> and so on.
>>
>> /lib is a symlink pointing to /lib64.
>> /lib64/udev/rules.d is ok with all the rules that udevd does not find at
>> boot.
> No I would guess it was because of the upgrade of sys-apps/baselayout to
> 2.1-r1. Things got crazy here with that upgrade. I had to re-merge every
> package with files under /lib/
> In your case re-merging udev should to the trick.

I re-emerged udev, but i still got error messages.
So i deleted (backup) my old /lib64/udev/rules.d directory and
re-emerged udev.
Then no more messages with the new rules.d directory.
Thank you for your reply.

Best regards,

--
Jacques

Markos Chandras 05-21-2012 09:00 PM

udevd boot messages

On 05/21/2012 03:27 PM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>> I updated udev from 171-r5 to 171-r6 and now i get several udevd
>> boot message as : udevd[1389]: can not find
>> '/lib/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules': No such file or directory
>> udevd[1389]: can not find '/lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules': No
>> such file or directory ...................... and so on.
>>
>> /lib is a symlink pointing to /lib64. /lib64/udev/rules.d is ok
>> with all the rules that udevd does not find at boot.
>
> No I would guess it was because of the upgrade of
> sys-apps/baselayout to 2.1-r1. Things got crazy here with that
> upgrade. I had to re-merge every package with files under /lib/ In
> your case re-merging udev should to the trick.

The package clearly informed you that you need to reboot for things to
work properly

"You should reboot the system now to get /run mounted with tmpfs!"

Have a look on pkg_postinst() function in that ebuild. You chose to
ignore it and this is why you had these problems after the update.

Tanstaafl 05-23-2012 04:24 PM

udevd boot messages

On 2012-05-21 5:00 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

[...]

<pet-peeve>
I asked about this a while back but never got a decent answer...

*Especially* for servers, there really, REALLY needs to be a way to see
this kind of warning BEFORE updating... ie, the warning should be
printed to the screen during an 'emerge -pvuDN world' or something, so I
know that a reboot will be required for this update.

</pet-peeve>

Alex Schuster 05-23-2012 04:49 PM

udevd boot messages

Tanstaafl writes:

> *Especially* for servers, there really, REALLY needs to be a way to see
> this kind of warning BEFORE updating... ie, the warning should be
> printed to the screen during an 'emerge -pvuDN world' or something, so
> I know that a reboot will be required for this update.
> </pet-peeve>

Indeed! I think eselect news read should show this, at least.

Wonko

Tanstaafl 05-23-2012 05:18 PM

udevd boot messages

On 2012-05-23 12:49 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

Tanstaafl writes:

*Especially* for servers, there really, REALLY needs to be a way to see
this kind of warning BEFORE updating... ie, the warning should be
printed to the screen during an 'emerge -pvuDN world' or something, so
I know that a reboot will be required for this update.
</pet-peeve>

Indeed! I think eselect news read should show this, at least.

That would work for me... anytime I saw an update for system critical
stuff (like baselayout or udev or openrc) I'd be sure to check things...

As it stands, I'm now very glad for my self imposed policy of waiting a
few days for critical things like this...

Markos Chandras 05-23-2012 09:25 PM

udevd boot messages

On 05/23/2012 05:24 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

>>> No I would guess it was because of the upgrade of
>>> sys-apps/baselayout to 2.1-r1. Things got crazy here with that
>>> upgrade. I had to re-merge every package with files under /lib/ In
>>> your case re-merging udev should to the trick.
>
>> The package clearly informed you that you need to reboot for things to
>> work properly
>>
>> "You should reboot the system now to get /run mounted with tmpfs!"
>>
>> Have a look on pkg_postinst() function in that ebuild. You chose to
>> ignore it and this is why you had these problems after the update.
>
> <pet-peeve>
> I asked about this a while back but never got a decent answer...
>
> *Especially* for servers, there really, REALLY needs to be a way to see
> this kind of warning BEFORE updating... ie, the warning should be
> printed to the screen during an 'emerge -pvuDN world' or something, so I
> know that a reboot will be required for this update.
> </pet-peeve>

This kind of messages are also printed at the end of -uDNav world so if
you scroll your screen up you can see all the warning/log messages from
every package that you have updated. Also, these kind of messages are
logged in /var/log/portage/

Alan McKinnon 05-23-2012 09:47 PM

udevd boot messages

On Wed, 23 May 2012 22:25:37 +0100
Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 05/23/2012 05:24 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> >> The package clearly informed you that you need to reboot for
> >> things to work properly
> >>
> >> "You should reboot the system now to get /run mounted with tmpfs!"
> >>
> >> Have a look on pkg_postinst() function in that ebuild. You chose to
> >> ignore it and this is why you had these problems after the update.
> >
> > <pet-peeve>
> > I asked about this a while back but never got a decent answer...
> >
> > *Especially* for servers, there really, REALLY needs to be a way to
> > see this kind of warning BEFORE updating... ie, the warning should
> > be printed to the screen during an 'emerge -pvuDN world' or
> > something, so I know that a reboot will be required for this update.
> > </pet-peeve>
> >
> This kind of messages are also printed at the end of -uDNav world so
> if you scroll your screen up you can see all the warning/log messages
> from every package that you have updated. Also, these kind of
> messages are logged in /var/log/portage/

You are missing the point.

Tanstaafl wants to know if a reboot *will* be required *before* he does
the update. What you are describing tells him that after the update
completes when it is already too late.

I face the same issue at work. We have a change policy requiring 14
days advance notice of any change affecting service. If I do a routine
world update then have to log an emergency change for an unexpected
reboot, the change manager will have my nuts for breakfast.

If it happens more than once, I'd be having a really unusual
conversation with the CTO which probably ends with him standing behind
me watching while I migrate every single box that isn't RHEL6 (all 200
of them) over to RHEL6 where I *do* have exact knowledge in advance of
the impact of a change.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Markos Chandras 05-23-2012 09:54 PM

udevd boot messages

On 05/23/2012 10:47 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 22:25:37 +0100
> Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> <pet-peeve>
>>> I asked about this a while back but never got a decent answer...
>>>
>>> *Especially* for servers, there really, REALLY needs to be a way to
>>> see this kind of warning BEFORE updating... ie, the warning should
>>> be printed to the screen during an 'emerge -pvuDN world' or
>>> something, so I know that a reboot will be required for this update.
>>> </pet-peeve>
>>>
>> This kind of messages are also printed at the end of -uDNav world so
>> if you scroll your screen up you can see all the warning/log messages
>> from every package that you have updated. Also, these kind of
>> messages are logged in /var/log/portage/
>
> You are missing the point.
>
> Tanstaafl wants to know if a reboot *will* be required *before* he does
> the update. What you are describing tells him that after the update
> completes when it is already too late.
>
> I face the same issue at work. We have a change policy requiring 14
> days advance notice of any change affecting service. If I do a routine
> world update then have to log an emergency change for an unexpected
> reboot, the change manager will have my nuts for breakfast.
>
> If it happens more than once, I'd be having a really unusual
> conversation with the CTO which probably ends with him standing behind
> me watching while I migrate every single box that isn't RHEL6 (all 200
> of them) over to RHEL6 where I *do* have exact knowledge in advance of
> the impact of a change.

Did either of you ever open a bug about this or even discuss it in the
gentoo-dev mailing list? What you say sounds like a valid concern to me
but unless you express your needs to maintainers, nothing is ever going
to happen. However, in this particular case, yes a news item would be
the ideal solution.