Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Urs Schutz

Default Running programs compiled with a different gcc version

Yesterday I manually compiled photivo, a camera raw file
converter and image editor. One of the requirements for
installing is gcc 4.6. So I manually unmasked gcc 4.6.3
and installed it with portage.
After switching gcc with gcc-config and . /etc/profile,
photivo compiled fine.
A test run showed that photivo is running fine.

I simply do not know enough about gcc and gentoo to leave
gcc at 4.6.3, and switched back to the stable 4.5 branch
(gcc-config and . /etc/profile again).

When I try to run photivo again I get an error:
photivo: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/libstdc++.so.6:
version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by photivo)

locate -i glibcxx shows no results.

My question is: Can I set some variables (e.g. in a bash
start script) that photivo thinks it is running on a system
with gcc 4.6? All the components are installed, as I can
switch gcc to 4.6.3 and run photivo as user.

I do not see any changes in environment variables before
and after switching gcc versions. What magic does
gcc-config do?

Urs

Old 05-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

Try starting photivo with:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3 photivo

(I assume the executable is named "photivo".)

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Norman Invasion

On 19 May 2012 16:23, Urs Schutz <u.schutz@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Yesterday I manually compiled photivo, a camera raw file
> converter and image editor. One of the requirements for
> installing is gcc 4.6. So I manually unmasked gcc 4.6.3
> and installed it with portage.
> After switching gcc with gcc-config and . /etc/profile,
> photivo compiled fine.
> A test run showed that photivo is running fine.
>
> I simply do not know enough about gcc and gentoo to leave
> gcc at 4.6.3, and switched back to the stable 4.5 branch
> (gcc-config and . /etc/profile again).
>
> When I try to run photivo again I get an error:
> photivo: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/libstdc++.so.6:
> version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by photivo)
>
> locate -i glibcxx shows no results.
>
> My question is: Can I set some variables (e.g. in a bash
> start script) that photivo thinks it is running on a system
> with gcc 4.6? All the components are installed, as I can
> switch gcc to 4.6.3 and run photivo as user.
>
> I do not see any changes in environment variables before
> and after switching gcc versions. What magic does
> gcc-config do?

Compile it statically linked?