-   -   firefox crash when playing flash (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/66764-firefox-crash-when-playing-flash.html)

Qi Baobin 04-09-2008 11:33 AM

firefox crash when playing flash

Hi all,
My firefox crashed sometimes when the page contained flash file.
----------------------
emerge -pv mozilla-firefox

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.13 USE="ipv6 -bindist -debug -filepicker -gnome -iceweasel -java
-mozdevelop -moznopango -restrict-javascript -xforms -xinerama -xprint" LINGUAS="zh_CN -af -ar -be -bg -ca -cs -da -de
-el -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -fy -fy_NL -ga -ga_IE -gu -gu_IN -he -hu -it -ja -ka -ko -ku -lt -mk -mn -nb
-nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh -zh_TW" 0 kB

uname -a
Linux bobbin 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 #15 SMP Sun Mar 30 20:16:31 Local time zone must be set--see zic i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2
CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
----------------------

And I googled it, found this:
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
but it doesn't work for me!

Any help?

Regards

Bobbin

Roman Zilka 04-09-2008 01:59 PM

firefox crash when playing flash

Hello,

I don't have any specific idea, but try recompiling Firefox without any
CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS set. Using another Flash implementation (Gnash/Adobe)
might solve the problem too (or introduce new problems:). Also try
cleaning up your Firefox profile (in terms of add-ons, most
importantly).

-rz

Qi Baobin 04-10-2008 10:41 AM

firefox crash when playing flash

Sorry for replying so late.

My computer is 32bit.

I will try what Roman said, thanks for that.

I will paste the result later.

:)

"Gustavo Campos" 04-10-2008 12:12 PM

firefox crash when playing flash

I was having the same problem here, looking over the web found a
solution used for Ubuntu users I could adapt for me.

Exporting the environment variable FIREFOX_DSP="auto" solved the
crashing for me.

At the other hand, my mplayer plugin is not working, but I don't
really know if it was before the change, probably not... anyway more
tests are needed, but Flash is working fine now =)

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Qi Baobin <baobin.qi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for replying so late.
>
> My computer is 32bit.
>
> I will try what Roman said, thanks for that.
>
> I will paste the result later.
>
> :)
>

> On 20:27 Wed 09 Apr , "Mateusz A. Mierzwin'ski" wrote:
> > Roman Zilka pisze:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I don't have any specific idea, but try recompiling Firefox without any
> >> CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS set. Using another Flash implementation (Gnash/Adobe)
> >> might solve the problem too (or introduce new problems:). Also try
> >> cleaning up your Firefox profile (in terms of add-ons, most
> >> importantly).
> >>
> >> -rz

> > Do you have 32 or 64-bits Linux (exec. x86_64). If You use 64 bits (36
> > physical and 48 virtual addressing) You will have problem with flash. Flash
> > by adobe was only release 32-bit. NSWrapper emulates (converts) address
> > spaces but ABI have running issues between 32 and 64bit version. Also Adobe
> > is far enough to release 64-bit version, so You must try to live with it.
> > If you have enough flash problem install 32-bit Gentoo Linux.
> >
> > Greet's
> > Mateusz M.
> > --

Gustavo Campos

Ciência da Computação / Computer Science - UFMG

Qi Baobin 04-11-2008 01:49 PM

firefox crash when playing flash

Thanks, but it still doesn't work for me.

"Gustavo Campos" 04-11-2008 02:27 PM

firefox crash when playing flash

Actually since I sent you the response Firefox has crashed one more
time while playing Flash. Indeed, that used to happen more often
before... now I don't really know if it was just a coincidence or not
=/

Are you using pulseaudio? In my case when Firefox crashes the command
line indicates some problem with pulseaudio (can't reproduce right
now), could you run Firefox from the command line and post the crash
message it shows at exit?

Qi Baobin 04-11-2008 03:01 PM

firefox crash when playing flash

There is no message on the console.Firefox was just no responding.
I need to kill the process and restart it,after that it would run well
util next crash.

Qi Baobin 04-11-2008 03:07 PM

firefox crash when playing flash

I figure out that the mpd didn't work either when the firefox was
suspending there, is it possible they cann't work together.

"Gustavo Campos" 04-11-2008 03:41 PM

firefox crash when playing flash

> There is no message on the console.Firefox was just no responding.
> I need to kill the process and restart it,after that it would run well
> util next crash.

Oh I see, for crash I understood it has closed abnormally, what
happened to you is looks what I would call a freeze =)

So, that makes things a little difficult, as is hard to trace...

> I figure out that the mpd didn't work either when the firefox was
> suspending there, is it possible they cann't work together.

Well that points to the road I was trying to take: sound problem. What
I can't figure out is why it is hanging. Here in my PC, before I
installed pulseaudio, I was unable to hear two sounds from different
sources, because my machine has no hardware mixer, and I user a multi
device to play stereo sounds (upmixing 2.0 to 7.1 stream), but when I
tried to play something in firefox, it just wouldn't play the sound,
but work silently without any problems.

Do you have an /etc/asound.conf (or ~/.asoundrc) file? Can you post
the contents of it?