FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Alan Mackenzie
 
Default In X: wants to "save screenshot". How do I stop this?

Hi, Gentoo!

Just this past hour, I've noticed that in Gnome 2, any depression of
<up> wants to create a .png image of my current desktop. This is
regardless of which application is currently active. This is
particularly irritating in Firefox, where I want <up> to scroll the
screen.

I suspect this might have been caused by a recent update to the ?event
library (I can't remember exactly what this was).

I hate it when people do "clever" things like this. How can I make it
stop?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
 
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default In X: wants to "save screenshot". How do I stop this?

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo!
>
> Just this past hour, I've noticed that in Gnome 2, any depression of
> <up> wants to create a .png image of my current desktop. *This is
> regardless of which application is currently active. *This is
> particularly irritating in Firefox, where I want <up> to scroll the
> screen.
>
> I suspect this might have been caused by a recent update to the ?event
> library (I can't remember exactly what this was).
>
> I hate it when people do "clever" things like this. *How can I make it
> stop?

I would downgrade to previous version of the evdev driver and see if
it helps. Or disable/change the shortcut for print screen as a
temporary workaround.
 
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 PM
walt
 
Default In X: wants to "save screenshot". How do I stop this?

On 05/16/2012 03:00 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo!
>
> Just this past hour, I've noticed that in Gnome 2, any depression of
> <up> wants to create a .png image of my current desktop. This is
> regardless of which application is currently active. This is
> particularly irritating in Firefox, where I want <up> to scroll the
> screen.
>
> I suspect this might have been caused by a recent update to the ?event
> library (I can't remember exactly what this was).
>
> I hate it when people do "clever" things like this. How can I make it
> stop?

You did me a huge favor by asking that question, thanks! While poking
around in the keyboard settings applet I discovered a well-hidden option
to disable the Caps-Lock key. I hit that stupid thing by accident at
least ten times/hour and say very vulgar things when it happens

The keyboard-shortcuts applet does have an option to change the screenshot
hotkey, so maybe something changed it behind your back?
 
Old 05-17-2012, 12:22 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"
 
Default In X: wants to "save screenshot". How do I stop this?

On 05/16/2012 07:08 PM, walt wrote:
You did me a huge favor by asking that question, thanks! While poking
around in the keyboard settings applet I discovered a well-hidden
option to disable the Caps-Lock key. I hit that stupid thing by
accident at least ten times/hour and say very vulgar things when it
happens The keyboard-shortcuts applet does have an option to change
the screenshot hotkey, so maybe something changed it behind your back?
Could you amplify a little bit and reveal exactly what applet you used
and where the little option is located?


Thanks,
--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
aka redwolfe
 
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default In X: wants to "save screenshot". How do I stop this?

On Thu, 17 May 2012 17:24:57 +0000
Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello, Paul.
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 05:30:50PM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> > > Hi, Gentoo!
>
> > > Just this past hour, I've noticed that in Gnome 2, any depression
> > > of <up> wants to create a .png image of my current desktop. *This
> > > is regardless of which application is currently active. *This is
> > > particularly irritating in Firefox, where I want <up> to scroll
> > > the screen.
>
> > > I suspect this might have been caused by a recent update to
> > > the ?event library (I can't remember exactly what this was).
>
> > > I hate it when people do "clever" things like this. *How can I
> > > make it stop?
>
> > I would downgrade to previous version of the evdev driver and see if
> > it helps.
>
> I do
> emerge =dev-libs/libevent-2.0.16
> and restart X windows. Everything now works properly. (The recently
> emerged libevent was 2.0.18.)
>
> > Or disable/change the shortcut for print screen as a
> > temporary workaround.
>
> I tried this (in Gnome 2) with System/Preferences/Keyboard
> Shortcuts/Desktop/Take a screenshot. It was set to <Print> and I left
> it there.
>
> Similarly, "Take a screenshot of a window" was set to <Alt+Print>.
> Typing <Alt+up> triggered this.
>
> I think there's something wrong with libevent-2.0.18. Does anybody
> get problems in KDE or XFCE?
>

No problems with KDE-4.8.3 and libevent-2.0.19 here

libevent-2.0.19 was merged here 5 May and libevent-2.0.18 on 26 Mar. In
all that time I never noticed anything strange with screenshots. So it
must be a gnome-specific bug



--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default In X: wants to "save screenshot". How do I stop this?

On Thursday 17 May 2012 18:44:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> No problems with KDE-4.8.3 and libevent-2.0.19 here

Nor here with KDE 4.8.1 and libevent 2.0.18.

--
Rgds
Peter
 
Old 05-19-2012, 06:09 PM
walt
 
Default In X: wants to "save screenshot". How do I stop this?

On 05/16/2012 05:22 PM, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On 05/16/2012 07:08 PM, walt wrote:
>> You did me a huge favor by asking that question, thanks! While
>> poking around in the keyboard settings applet I discovered a
>> well-hidden option to disable the Caps-Lock key. I hit that stupid
>> thing by accident at least ten times/hour and say very vulgar
>> things when it happens The keyboard-shortcuts applet does have
>> an option to change the screenshot hotkey, so maybe something
>> changed it behind your back?

> Could you amplify a little bit and reveal exactly what applet you
> used and where the little option is located?

Heh. I told you it's well-hidden

This applies only to gnome2. I've been looking for a similar
trick in gnome3 but it's even more hidden there and I'm still
hunting/hoping for it.

The System::Preferences menu has a "Keyboard" applet and also
a "Keyboard Shortcuts" applet. The screenshot setting is in
"Keyboard Shortcuts" and the CapsLock settings are in
Keyboard::Layouts::Options...
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org