Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Ralf Stephan

Default local caching DNS?

Hello,

I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

Regards,
ralf

Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:13:40PM +0200, Ralf Stephan wrote:
> I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
> browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
> or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

I use dnsmasq, can be used as a LAN cache too (by simply allowing
requests from a given interface). Took me about 30 minutes to configure.
I asked dhcp to save to resolv.conf.2 and made resolv.conf to request
from localhost.

--
~, sweet ~

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:13:40 +0200, Ralf Stephan wrote:

> I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
> browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
> or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

net-dns/dnsmasq

--
Neil Bothwick

Deja Foobar: A feeling of having made the same mistake before.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote: =======
> Hello
>
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:13:40PM +0200, Ralf Stephan wrote:
> > I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
> > browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
> > or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?
>
> I use dnsmasq, can be used as a LAN cache too (by simply allowing
> requests from a given interface). Took me about 30 minutes to
> configure. I asked dhcp to save to resolv.conf.2 and made resolv.conf
> to request from localhost.

What about permanent (with saving to hdd) caching? It seems like pdnsd
do this thing only...

Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:45:18PM +0400, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:13:40PM +0200, Ralf Stephan wrote:
> > > I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
> > > browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
> > > or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?
> >
> > I use dnsmasq, can be used as a LAN cache too (by simply allowing
> > requests from a given interface). Took me about 30 minutes to
> > configure. I asked dhcp to save to resolv.conf.2 and made resolv.conf
> > to request from localhost.
>
> What about permanent (with saving to hdd) caching? It seems like pdnsd
> do this thing only...

Does not seem to matter here much, since I suspend, not turn off. But
anyway, most DNS names should be cached only few hours, half a day or so
(well, there are some that have week long timeouts, but not many).

--
chown -R us $BASE

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
AG

Ralf Stephan ha scritto:

Hello,

I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

Regards,
ralf

what about dnscache of djbdns tools?
took 2 minutes to setup via dnscache-setup script.

andrea

Sponsor:
Nuova offerta SKY:Vedi tutto SKY a 15? al mese per 2 mesi: non perdere l'offerta!
* Solo con SKY puoi avere così tanto per così poco!
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=7765&d=9-4

Old 04-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Urs Schuetz

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008, Ralf Stephan wrote:

> I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
> browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
> or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

I'm using the DNS of my router (D-Link DSL-500G). Works without client side installations.

Urs

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

Hi!
======= On Wednesday 09 April 2008, you wrote: =======

> Does not seem to matter here much, since I suspend, not turn off. But
> anyway, most DNS names should be cached only few hours, half a day or
> so (well, there are some that have week long timeouts, but not many).

Not sure I have noticed drawbacks of using a permanent cache during few
years - probably I use too stable net resources :-)

Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Ralf Stephan

vorner wrote
> I use dnsmasq, can be used as a LAN cache too (by simply allowing
> requests from a given interface). Took me about 30 minutes to configure.
> I asked dhcp to save to resolv.conf.2 and made resolv.conf to request
> from localhost.

OK this works fine, thanks. However, udhcpd cannt be coaxed to
write the servers to the new file, am I missing something?

But it's not too bad, I don't reboot often.

Thanks for all the answers (and questions
ralf

Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
kashani

Andrew Gaydenko wrote:

Hi!
Does not seem to matter here much, since I suspend, not turn off. But
anyway, most DNS names should be cached only few hours, half a day or
so (well, there are some that have week long timeouts, but not many).

Not sure I have noticed drawbacks of using a permanent cache during few
years - probably I use too stable net resources :-)

As an admin that occasionally has cause to shift traffic between coasts
for maintenance I hate *hate* anything that ignores my TTLs and consider
such software broken and bane upon our fair Internet.

kashani