Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default local caching DNS?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:01:33 +0200, Ralf Stephan wrote:

> > I use dnsmasq, can be used as a LAN cache too (by simply allowing
> > requests from a given interface). Took me about 30 minutes to
> > configure. I asked dhcp to save to resolv.conf.2 and made resolv.conf
> > to request from localhost.
>
> OK this works fine, thanks. However, udhcpd cannt be coaxed to
> write the servers to the new file, am I missing something?

dnsmasq can also operate as a DHCP server, so you don't need to use a
separate one.

--
Neil Bothwick

Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren't.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Ralf Stephan wrote:

Hello,

I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

consider maradns <http://www.maradns.org/changelog.html>

- It is a recursive dns client/server (and authoritative server if
desired), described in Portage as "Proxy DNS server with permanent caching>.

- It is extremely fast

- It avoids your ISP's DNS server entirely (your ISP's server may be out
of date; poisoned; very slow; etc.)

- Download the current version from the web page, as the ebuild is out
of date (sigh... of course).

HTH

Old 04-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> Ralf Stephan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
> > browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
> > or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?
>
> consider maradns <http://www.maradns.org/changelog.html>
>
> - It is a recursive dns client/server (and authoritative server if
> desired), described in Portage as "Proxy DNS server with permanent
> caching>.

Wiht permanent caching? If it really does this, not honouring TTLs,
it's crap. That said, I actually don't know whether they mean
permanent when they say permanent. ;-)

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Old 04-09-2008, 06:26 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Uwe Thiem wrote:

I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

consider maradns <http://www.maradns.org/changelog.html>

- It is a recursive dns client/server (and authoritative server if
desired), described in Portage as "Proxy DNS server with permanent
caching>.

Wiht permanent caching?

I don't know. I never found a reference to it in the documentation. I
quoted portage because I thought it might make sense to others.

I'd *guess* that it means that it'll keep long-TTL records beyond a
restart - i.e. it does not flush the cache at start up.

If it really does this, not honouring TTLs,
it's crap. That said, I actually don't know whether they mean
permanent when they say permanent. ;-)

"When MaraDNS' recursive resolver receives a "host not there" reply,
instead of using the SOA minimum of the "host not there" reply as the
TTL (Look at RFC1034 4.3.4), MaraDNS uses the TTL of the SOA reply.

MaraDNS keeps referral NS records in the cache for one day instead of
the TTL specified by the remote server."

"MaraDNS recursive resolver treats any TTL shorter than min_ttl seconds
(min_ttl_cname seconds when the record is a CNAME record) as if the TTL
in question was min_ttl (or min_ttl_cname) seconds long when determining
when to expire a record from MaraDNS' cache.

TTLs which are shorter than 20 seconds long are given a TTL of 20
seconds; TTLs which are more than 63072000 (2 years) long are given a
TTL of 2 years."

HTH

Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Mark Kirkwood

I just use bind - setup to lookup from my ISP's nameservers and cache only.

The main reason for this was my ISP's ones are very slow (sometime 0.5 s
to resolve!) - turning on the cache made an enormous difference to the
perceived performance.

Cheers

Mark

Ralf Stephan wrote:

Hello,

I'm fed up with waiting for ever the same name requests from my
browser (and open servers don't cut it either): which DNS cache
or caching DNS for simple local installation would you recommend?

Regards,
ralf