Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Paul Hartman

Default Grub2, chroot, initramfs

Hi,

I'm trying out grub2 for the first time on my old laptop. I'm
following the guide at: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
which seems easy enough. Basically just emerge it, install and go.

However... two different questions:

When I did this from a chroot, I just got the GRUB> prompt upon
rebooting... no menu or anything. I can manually type "linux
/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3" and then boot into my system. When I run
grub2-mkconfig from within the chroot, I don't get any "Found linux
image" lines. It does not create /boot/grub2/grub.cfg but rather
grub.cfg.new. So I don't know if it's confused about where /boot is or
what. Is there a trick to installing/updating grub2 config from within
a chroot?

Second, when running grub2-mkconfig from within my working gentoo
system, it fails with "error: failed to get canonical path of
/dev/root." which is apparently because I don't use an initramfs. I
must manually run "ln -s /dev/sda3 /dev/boot" before it will work. Is
there any trick to avoid having to do that every time? For now I have
simply added that to my after-kernel-update script but I'm curious to
know if grub2 knows how to handle this on its own somehow.

Thanks,
Paul

Wed May 16 06:30:02 2012