Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Ignas Anikevicius

Default Advice Needed: Conexant HD-Audio noisy audio

Dear all,

It's been quite a while since I noticed this annoying behaviour, but I
could not find any information what might cause this. So the problem is
that at lower volumes my HD-Audio with Conexant becomes very noisy and
this is regardless of the sound system or speakers/headphones I use.

The noise can be described, as high pitched, sandy texture noise
heard during more expressive parts of the music or speech.

I experience this on two Thinkpads (x200s and x200) and it very evident
when I connected external speakers, they produced a lot of this noise,
or maybe I just could hear it better, because of the frequency response
of the speakers.

Does anybody have some similar issues?

My current audio setup:

* PulseAudio (but the problem is experienced with ALSA as well)
* MPD for music playing
* Conexant and other related modules compiled in, power-saving
features enabled.

What I have tried to eliminate the noise:

* Various levels of Master,PCM,Headphone channels via Alsamixer
* Increase the sample rate in MPD settings.

The noise can be clearly head when I Have the following setting on my
Alsamixer:

* Master ~50
* PCM 100
* Headphone 100

Does anybody has any thoughts on why am I experiencing this?

Thanks a lot,
Ignas A.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Alecks Gates

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Ignas Anikevicius
<anikevicius@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> It's been quite a while since I noticed this annoying behaviour, but I
> could not find any information what might cause this. So the problem is
> that at lower volumes my HD-Audio with Conexant becomes very noisy and
> this is regardless of the sound system or speakers/headphones I use.
>
> The noise can be described, as high pitched, sandy texture noise
> heard during more expressive parts of the music or speech.
>
> I experience this on two Thinkpads (x200s and x200) and it very evident
> when I connected external speakers, they produced a lot of this noise,
> or maybe I just could hear it better, because of the frequency response
> of the speakers.
>
> Does anybody have some similar issues?
>
> My current audio setup:
>
> * ** PulseAudio (but the problem is experienced with ALSA as well)
> * ** MPD for music playing
> * ** Conexant and other related modules compiled in, power-saving
> * * *features enabled.
>
> What I have tried to eliminate the noise:
>
> * ** Various levels of Master,PCM,Headphone channels via Alsamixer
> * ** Increase the sample rate in MPD settings.
>
> The noise can be clearly head when I Have the following setting on my
> Alsamixer:
>
> * ** Master ~50
> * ** PCM 100
> * ** Headphone 100
>
> Does anybody has any thoughts on why am I experiencing this?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Ignas A.

I would check the inputs in alsamixer and play around with them. I
had a problem similar to this for many months and it was due to some
funny input volume I didn't need, so I muted it.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Ignas Anikevicius

On 15/05/12 17:31, Alecks Gates wrote:
> I would check the inputs in alsamixer and play around with them. I
> had a problem similar to this for many months and it was due to some
> funny input volume I didn't need, so I muted it.

Thanks for replying, I have muted everything, except Headphones, Master,
Speaker and PCM outputs, which *are* necessary to get any sound out of
my machine either with headphones or speakers. Muting speakers when only
headphones were used did not help.

Cheers,
I.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Ignas Anikevicius
<anikevicius@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> It's been quite a while since I noticed this annoying behaviour, but I
> could not find any information what might cause this. So the problem is
> that at lower volumes my HD-Audio with Conexant becomes very noisy and
> this is regardless of the sound system or speakers/headphones I use.
>
> The noise can be described, as high pitched, sandy texture noise
> heard during more expressive parts of the music or speech.
>
> I experience this on two Thinkpads (x200s and x200) and it very evident
> when I connected external speakers, they produced a lot of this noise,
> or maybe I just could hear it better, because of the frequency response
> of the speakers.
>
> Does anybody have some similar issues?
>
> My current audio setup:
>
> * ** PulseAudio (but the problem is experienced with ALSA as well)
> * ** MPD for music playing
> * ** Conexant and other related modules compiled in, power-saving
> * * *features enabled.
>
> What I have tried to eliminate the noise:
>
> * ** Various levels of Master,PCM,Headphone channels via Alsamixer
> * ** Increase the sample rate in MPD settings.
>
> The noise can be clearly head when I Have the following setting on my
> Alsamixer:
>
> * ** Master ~50
> * ** PCM 100
> * ** Headphone 100
>
> Does anybody has any thoughts on why am I experiencing this?

I have a strong expectation that part of what you're hearing is system
electrical noise.

What happens when you set:

* Master -> 100
* Headphone -> 100
* Everything else -> 0

...but you're not playing anything? If you hear anything, then what
you're hearing isn't something you can really deal with without using
an external sound card. Any USB sound card would do fine. (A pair of
'gamer' headphones I bought at Best Buy advertised USB support...and
it turns out they were packaged with a tiny USB<->3.5mm sound
adapter.)

If you don't hear the characteristic sound you're describing, then I'd
expect you're encountering clipping. That's when the logical amplitude
of a signal is greater than the medium holding it, and that happens a
*lot* with integer PCM mixing and amplification.

Unfortunately, there's little to no standardization as to what '0' and
'100' mean between audio chipsets, so the best you can really do here
is crank all of your sliders to maximum, and decrease some of them
until you no longer hear the clipping. (And then remember which
positions on the relevant sliders that corresponds to; it usually
means you're getting no amplification, but also no attenuation.)

--
:wq