FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Grant
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

I received my RMAed motherboard back from MSI today, and although it
powered right on, the BIOS wouldn't post unless I disconnected the
CDROM drive and used a different CPU. I had been overclocking an
AMD64 X2 but luckily I had a Sempron to test with.

Does this sound like a case of an overclocked CPU burning out and
taking a couple of devices with it, or is it more likely that the
motherboard died and took a couple devices with it, or something else?

- Grant
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

On Mittwoch, 9. April 2008, Grant wrote:
> I received my RMAed motherboard back from MSI today, and although it
> powered right on, the BIOS wouldn't post unless I disconnected the
> CDROM drive and used a different CPU. I had been overclocking an
> AMD64 X2 but luckily I had a Sempron to test with.
>
> Does this sound like a case of an overclocked CPU burning out and
> taking a couple of devices with it, or is it more likely that the
> motherboard died and took a couple devices with it, or something else?

well, if it works (somehow) with a different cpu, the cpu might be dead. Or
some parts of the energy 'department' of your mobo got overloaded, burnt out
and now is only able to drive the mediocre requirements of the sempron.

I would try the cpu in a different board.

An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both can damage
the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook a cap).
Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A damaged
mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.

I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Grant
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

> > I received my RMAed motherboard back from MSI today, and although it
> > powered right on, the BIOS wouldn't post unless I disconnected the
> > CDROM drive and used a different CPU. I had been overclocking an
> > AMD64 X2 but luckily I had a Sempron to test with.
> >
> > Does this sound like a case of an overclocked CPU burning out and
> > taking a couple of devices with it, or is it more likely that the
> > motherboard died and took a couple devices with it, or something else?
>
> well, if it works (somehow) with a different cpu, the cpu might be dead. Or
> some parts of the energy 'department' of your mobo got overloaded, burnt out
> and now is only able to drive the mediocre requirements of the sempron.
>
> I would try the cpu in a different board.
>
> An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both can damage
> the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook a cap).
> Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A damaged
> mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.
>
> I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil

I'll never overclock again. I'm realizing how much more important
reliability is compared to performance and low cost.

- Grant
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Roy Wright
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

Grant wrote:
>> An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both can damage
>> the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook a cap).
>> Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A damaged
>> mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.
>>
>> I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil
>
> I'll never overclock again. I'm realizing how much more important
> reliability is compared to performance and low cost.
>
> - Grant

That's been my thoughts until recently. I just built a system using a
Q9300 (45nm quad core) and decided to give OC a try. Bumped the clock
from 333MHz to 400MHz causing the CPU freq to increase from 2.5MHz to
3.0MHz. DDR2-800 memory not OC'ed. Core temps under 4 core 100% load
using burnP5 only increased from 71C to 73C. This was with stock Intel
heat sink/fan/thermal paste (just the way Intel wants it). I just
ordered a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 to lower these.

IMO, it looks like the Intel 45nm processors have some easy OC headroom.

YMMV.

Have fun,
Roy
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Eric Martin
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Roy Wright wrote:
| Grant wrote:
|>> An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both
can damage
|>> the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook
a cap).
|>> Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A
damaged
|>> mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.
|>>
|>> I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil
|> I'll never overclock again. I'm realizing how much more important
|> reliability is compared to performance and low cost.
|>
|> - Grant
|
| That's been my thoughts until recently. I just built a system using a
| Q9300 (45nm quad core) and decided to give OC a try. Bumped the clock
| from 333MHz to 400MHz causing the CPU freq to increase from 2.5MHz to
| 3.0MHz. DDR2-800 memory not OC'ed. Core temps under 4 core 100% load
| using burnP5 only increased from 71C to 73C. This was with stock Intel
| heat sink/fan/thermal paste (just the way Intel wants it). I just
| ordered a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 to lower these.
|
| IMO, it looks like the Intel 45nm processors have some easy OC headroom.
|
| YMMV.
|
| Have fun,
| Roy
This may be untrue, but from what I've see that's the way it goes
w/OC'ing; Intels have room to be overclocked and AMDs don't. The OP
overclocked an AMD processor which I've always heard is a bad idea.
Just my $0.02

- --
Eric Martin
PGP fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIBjOCdheOldgSlQgRAhVnAJ96V33uu7gE82cl5/E8kL1sZ/Qu2gCg3DU9
ELPLMwkj3odxE6yzRLU/3ZA=
=EPgz
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

On Mittwoch, 16. April 2008, Eric Martin wrote:
> Roy Wright wrote:
> | Grant wrote:
> |>> An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both
>
> can damage
>
> |>> the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook
>
> a cap).
>
> |>> Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A
>
> damaged
>
> |>> mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.
> |>>
> |>> I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil
> |>
> |> I'll never overclock again. I'm realizing how much more important
> |> reliability is compared to performance and low cost.
> |>
> |> - Grant
> |
> | That's been my thoughts until recently. I just built a system using a
> | Q9300 (45nm quad core) and decided to give OC a try. Bumped the clock
> | from 333MHz to 400MHz causing the CPU freq to increase from 2.5MHz to
> | 3.0MHz. DDR2-800 memory not OC'ed. Core temps under 4 core 100% load
> | using burnP5 only increased from 71C to 73C. This was with stock Intel
> | heat sink/fan/thermal paste (just the way Intel wants it). I just
> | ordered a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 to lower these.
> |
> | IMO, it looks like the Intel 45nm processors have some easy OC headroom.
> |
> | YMMV.
> |
> | Have fun,
> | Roy
>
> This may be untrue, but from what I've see that's the way it goes
> w/OC'ing; Intels have room to be overclocked and AMDs don't. The OP
> overclocked an AMD processor which I've always heard is a bad idea.

no, oc'ing is always a bad idea. And for the young ones: some years ago,
overclocking klilled masses of P4 cpus thanks to electro migration.

Don't oc. Its not worth the risks (silent data corruption, damage).
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
"Chris Brennan"
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

Overclocking when done properly, is very safe. There are TONS of sites
out there to help with the research. And there are an equal ammount of
hardware that can safely support Overclocking.

So word from the wise (trial and error wise), take your time, do your
research and always take baby steps.

> no, oc'ing is always a bad idea. And for the young ones: some years ago,
> overclocking klilled masses of P4 cpus thanks to electro migration.
>
> Don't oc. Its not worth the risks (silent data corruption, damage).

Statements like this, bleed miseducation. Not every peice of hardware
is OC'able. You *must* research the parts in question. It's almost
always a safe bet to OC three things in very small increments.
Motherboard, CPU and RAM. If all these can't talk to each other at the
same speed, then you are dead in the water. No point in continueing.
GPU's are independant of the system as far as Overclockcing goes, so
if the GPU supports it, you can safely OC that. I would hedge my bets
though and make sure my AGP/PCIe slot has speed-based room to move
around in. That being said, for example, OC'ing an AGP 4x card to 8X
speeds, if you want it to work, you still have to have an 8x AGP
Slot..
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
"Dan Cowsill"
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I received my RMAed motherboard back from MSI today, and although it
> powered right on, the BIOS wouldn't post unless I disconnected the
> CDROM drive and used a different CPU. I had been overclocking an
> AMD64 X2 but luckily I had a Sempron to test with.
>
> Does this sound like a case of an overclocked CPU burning out and
> taking a couple of devices with it, or is it more likely that the
> motherboard died and took a couple devices with it, or something else?
>

IIRC, most RMA'd hardware isn't 'repaired' in the technical sense.
You're typically given a new motherboard. In my experience,
overclocking typically doesn't damage unrelated components. The CPU
is likely the only problem with your rig, unfortunately.



--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?

On Donnerstag, 17. April 2008, Chris Brennan wrote:
> Overclocking when done properly, is very safe. There are TONS of sites
> out there to help with the research.

I know that sites. And a lot of ocing results in strange and hidden problems.

Add to that my hatred for people RMA'ing boards until they got a good
overclocker - thus increasing hardware prices for everybody.

>
> > no, oc'ing is always a bad idea. And for the young ones: some years ago,
> > overclocking klilled masses of P4 cpus thanks to electro migration.
> >
> > Don't oc. Its not worth the risks (silent data corruption, damage).
>
> Statements like this, bleed miseducation.

no, they don't. They are just the unpleasant truth.

>That being said, for example, OC'ing an AGP 4x card to 8X
> speeds, if you want it to work, you still have to have an 8x AGP
> Slot..

you don't know anything about AGP, do you?
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org