Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default Active Directory Based Authentication?

Hello list,

I just want to know, what is your recommendation(s) to implement Active Directory authentication on Gentoo?

I want to use AD not only for logins, but also for running daemons/services.

*Ideally*, it would also allow me to manage my boxen using GPO, but I can live without that.

Rgds,

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Stroller

On 11 May 2012, at 04:36, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> I just want to know, what is your recommendation(s) to implement Active Directory authentication on Gentoo?
>
> I want to use AD not only for logins, but also for running daemons/services.
>
> *Ideally*, it would also allow me to manage my boxen using GPO, but I can live without that.

Not sure about Active Directory, but I have used Samba's winbind to authenticate Windows domain users on a Linux box.

It was remarkably easy and basically boiled down to adding a couple of lines to the service's /etc/pam.d file; when a user logged in for the first time a ~ would be created for them on the Linux box.

Stroller.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Alecks Gates

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11 May 2012, at 04:36, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>> I just want to know, what is your recommendation(s) to implement Active Directory authentication on Gentoo?
>>
>> I want to use AD not only for logins, but also for running daemons/services.
>>
>> *Ideally*, it would also allow me to manage my boxen using GPO, but I can live without that.
>

> Not sure about Active Directory, but I have used Samba's winbind to authenticate Windows domain users on a Linux box.
>
> It was remarkably easy and basically boiled down to adding a couple of lines to the service's /etc/pam.d file; when a user logged in for the first time a ~ would be created for them on the Linux box.
>
> Stroller.

Perhaps you should check out "Calculate Directory Server?" I don't
think it's very popular outside of Russia but some of it looks rather
promising.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Pandu Poluan

On May 12, 2012 7:13 AM, "Alecks Gates" <alecks.g@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Stroller

> <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 11 May 2012, at 04:36, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> >> I just want to know, what is your recommendation(s) to implement Active Directory authentication on Gentoo?

> >> I want to use AD not only for logins, but also for running daemons/services.

> >> *Ideally*, it would also allow me to manage my boxen using GPO, but I can live without that.

> > Not sure about Active Directory, but I have used Samba's winbind to authenticate Windows domain users on a Linux box.

> > It was remarkably easy and basically boiled down to adding a couple of lines to the service's /etc/pam.d file; when a user logged in for the first time a ~ would be created for them on the Linux box.

> > Stroller.

> Perhaps you should check out "Calculate Directory Server?" *I don't

> think it's very popular outside of Russia but some of it looks rather

> promising.

At a glance, it looks more like a Domain Controller replacement instead of AD-based authentication for 'member servers'.

However, it *does* look interesting; if it can provide the features my company needs, I can see us cutting down the number of Win2008 licenses :-)

Rgds,