Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 AM
Philip Webb

Default merging or fitting images together

120515 Philip Webb wrote:
> 120515 Urs Schutz wrote:
>> I just tried with fotoxx.
>> This is a semi-manual process, but I liked the resulting image.

I've installed Fotoxx & it does a very good job !

>> The joint is less visible than on brum-2.jpg.

There's no sign of it on my version :
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/brum-3.jpg

>> It was easy to do an "unbend" after merging
>> and therefore the clock and the face on the image borders stay in the image.

They're on my image, but I can't find out how to turn it into a rectangle.
NB there are noticeable curves at the R-hand edge not in the original:
look at the sidewalk curve & at the building pediment.
Any suggestions ? -- otherwise, this looks like the tool to use.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Urs Schutz

On Wed, 16 May 2012 00:12:25 -0400
Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> 120515 Philip Webb wrote:
> > 120515 Urs Schutz wrote:
> >> I just tried with fotoxx.
> >> This is a semi-manual process, but I liked the
> >> resulting image.
>
> I've installed Fotoxx & it does a very good job !
>
> >> The joint is less visible than on brum-2.jpg.
>
> There's no sign of it on my version :
> http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/brum-3.jpg
>
> >> It was easy to do an "unbend" after merging
> >> and therefore the clock and the face on the image
> >> borders stay in the image.
>
> They're on my image, but I can't find out how to turn it
> into a rectangle. NB there are noticeable curves at the
> R-hand edge not in the original: look at the sidewalk
> curve & at the building pediment. Any suggestions ? --
> otherwise, this looks like the tool to use.

Transform -> Unbend Image
Play with the vertical values, this is very easy, fast and
intuitive. With brum-3.jpg the best combination was:
vertical linear 5, vertical curved -16, Done
and after that
Transform -> Trim Image or even easier
Transform -> Auto-Trim Image to get rid of the black areas.

In the case of brum-3.jpg apply a little bit of
Retouch -> Gamma Curves, (bend the left part of the curve
a little bit to the bottom, and the right part to the top)
to enhance the image contrast.
Normally the image looses a little bit of sharpness during
the panorama stitching. You can correct this with:
Retouch -> Sharpen Image.

But: If you would like to make an exhibit, then you get
better image quality if you bring the negatives to an old
fashioned photographer for direct enlargement on B&W photo
paper.

Urs

Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Philip Webb

120516 Urs Schutz wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 00:12:25 -0400
> Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> I can't find out how to turn it into a rectangle.
> Transform -> Unbend Image
> Play with the vertical values, this is very easy, fast and
> intuitive. With brum-3.jpg the best combination was:
> vertical linear 5, vertical curved -16, Done
> and after that
> Transform -> Trim Image or even easier
> Transform -> Auto-Trim Image to get rid of the black areas.
> In the case of brum-3.jpg apply a little bit of
> Retouch -> Gamma Curves, (bend the left part of the curve
> a little bit to the bottom, and the right part to the top)
> to enhance the image contrast.
> Normally the image looses a little bit of sharpness during
> the panorama stitching. You can correct this with:
> Retouch -> Sharpen Image.

Thanks ! -- I tried unbending, but it seemed rather clumsy;
clearly, I need to take more time to get the hang of how it works.

> But: If you would like to make an exhibit, then you get
> better image quality if you bring the negatives to an old-fashioned
> photographer for direct enlargement on B&W photo paper.

I may submit some of them to rail/transit journals for publication,
but won't have a use for hardcopies nor did I know anyone still did that ...

I checked all the apps in media-gfx , but very few are relevant :

Graphicsmagick -- a long-ago fork of Imagemagick ;
Digikam -- mb an alternative, but has 39 deps & 155 MB download ;
Enblend -- removes dark/light line from .tiff's made eg by Hugin.

Anyway, I have 3 apps to play with & will see where I get to.

Thanks again for your very helpful advice & I HTH others.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 AM
Michael Mol

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> I tried Hugin, but got nowhere. *I set *6 *points on each picture,
> which are *2 *overlapping parts of a single original negative,
> but all it offered was a black screen; I did follow the on-line help.

Hugin can be tricky, especially if you're using the FastGL mode in an
older version; the FastGL mode didn't really work for me until
recently. The other thing is that you should let its wizard
automatically add the control points for you.

Can you put up the originals somewhere? I'd like to take a shot at
stitching them with Hugin. I've done hundreds of panoramas and HDR
stacks with it.

--
:wq

Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Philip Webb

120516 Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> I tried Hugin, but got nowhere. *I set *6 *points on each picture,
>> which are *2 *overlapping parts of a single original negative,
>> but all it offered was a black screen; I did follow the on-line help.
> Hugin can be tricky, especially if you're using the FastGL mode
> in an older version; that mode didn't really work for me until recently.

I'm using the latest testing 2011.4.0 ; I didn't try a "fast" mode.

> The other thing is that you should let its wizard
> automatically add the control points for you.

Ah yes : I set the corresponding points in each half myself,
eg the toe of someone's shoe or the top of the further tram's headlamp.

They're at http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/ .

> I'd like to take a shot at stitching them with Hugin.
> I've done hundreds of panoramas and HDR stacks with it.

Please do (smile) & send me the result off-list
with the steps you followed to get there.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 05-17-2012, 04:59 AM
Stroller

On 17 May 2012, at 05:34, Philip Webb wrote:
> Please do (smile) & send me the result off-list
> with the steps you followed to get there.

I have been really enjoying following this thread.

I felt sure from previous reading on Hugin that it was the correct approach, but when I tried it my results were not very successful and I never got around to improving on them.

I would love it if this could be kept on-list.

Stroller.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Pandu Poluan

On May 17, 2012 1:07 PM, "Stroller" <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17 May 2012, at 05:34, Philip Webb wrote:

> > Please do (smile) & send me the result off-list

> > with the steps you followed to get there.

> I have been really enjoying following this thread.

> I felt sure from previous reading on Hugin that it was the correct approach, but when I tried it my results were not very successful and I never got around to improving on them.

> I would love it if this could be kept on-list.

Same!

Rgds,

Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Philip Webb

120517 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On May 17, 2012 1:07 PM, "Stroller" <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 17 May 2012, at 05:34, Philip Webb wrote:
>>> Please do (smile) & send me the result off-list
>>> with the steps you followed to get there.
>> I have been really enjoying following this thread.
>> I felt sure from previous reading on Hugin
>> that it was the correct approach, but when I tried it
>> my results were not very successful & I never got round to improving them.
>> I would love it if this could be kept on-list.
> Same!

Yes, I suspect this is of interest to a number of people.
It's the images themselves which need to be kept off-list:
mine cb found at the I/net site mentioned.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 05-19-2012, 03:49 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 120516 Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>>> I tried Hugin, but got nowhere. *I set *6 *points on each picture,
>>> which are *2 *overlapping parts of a single original negative,
>>> but all it offered was a black screen; I did follow the on-line help.
>> Hugin can be tricky, especially if you're using the FastGL mode
>> in an older version; that mode didn't really work for me until recently.
>
> I'm using the latest testing 2011.4.0 ; I didn't try a "fast" mode.
>
>> The other thing is that you should let its wizard
>> automatically add the control points for you.
>
> Ah yes : I set the corresponding points in each half myself,
> eg the toe of someone's shoe or the top of the further tram's headlamp.
>
>> Can you put up the originals somewhere?
>
> They're at *http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/ .
>
>> I'd like to take a shot at stitching them with Hugin.
>> I've done hundreds of panoramas and HDR stacks with it.
>
> Please do (smile) & send me the result off-list
> with the steps you followed to get there.

Remarkably simple. Probably because I was only stitching two photos.

1): Emerge hugin. Current stable version is 2011.0.0, and that worked fine.

2) Launch hugin

3) Hugin defaults to leaving the wizard tab open. Load your source
images (brum-3068.jpg, brum-3070.jpg).

Because the files don't have EXIF data provided by the camera, you'll
need to provide some key details about the lens used for the original
pictures. I ventured a guess of 50mm, as that's the same as my prime
lens, it's around the upper end of current kit lenses, and it's around
the lower end of basic macro zoom lenses. It happened to work fine.

4) Click the "Align" button. Hugin will use its wizard to discover
control points and optimize them.

5) Hugin will have popped open the fast preview window. As long as it
looks somewhat fine, go back to the main Hugin window and click on the
Stitcher tab.[1] Enable exposure-corrected, low dynamic range. Keep
everything else disabled. Set your format and quality settings to
taste.

6) Click "Stitch Now". Hugin will put the panorama image in the same
directory as your source images.

I'll email you the stitched-together file off-list.

Outside the emerge, this whole process took less time on an Intel
Pentium B940 than writing this email.

[1] I probably could have clicked the 'Create Panorama' button in the
wizard tab, but I fell back to habits.

--
:wq

Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Philip Webb

120518 Michael Mol wrote:
> Remarkably simple. Probably because I was only stitching two photos.

-- details snipped --

Thanks : that gives me a 3rd method to pursue.

NB in your result there are some badly curved lines :
bottom right, the front of the tram is badly distorted ;
centre top, the sides of buildings are curved outwards ;
also, the bottom of the photo has been lost, eg the L-side man's eyes,
& the result if smaller than the other 2 results achieved earlier.

No complaint at all ! -- but clearly all methods require some practice.
I've added your result to my I/net 'test' examples (I hope that's ok).

Any other suggestions are welcome -- apparently this is of interest -- ,
but I will turn to other priorities & investigate panoramas a bit later.

BTW the location is Steelhouse Lane with Snow Hill Sta in the background
(I stated it incorrectly before) in May 1953 just before the final trams.
The photo was taken with a Zeiss Ikon camera, a well-reputed make :
perhaps you can find the focal width on the I/net somewhere.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb