Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Michael Scherer

Default make of gentoo-sources-3.2.12 fails

Hi all,

after downloading the 3.2.12-sources everything went fine
for a couple of weeks, I compiled them a couple of times,
but suddenly, maybe because of some world-updates, errors
started to accumulate, first it could do make but no modules,
then kernel make made it almost and now I'm stuck with this
rather short make output:

HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c: In function ‘header_print_comment’:
scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:540:10: warning: ignoring return value of
‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c: In function ‘kconfig_print_comment’:
scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:467:10: warning: ignoring return value of
‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result HOSTLD
scripts/kconfig/conf scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
CHK include/linux/version.h CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
CC kernel/bounds.s
GEN include/generated/bounds.h
CC arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s
GEN include/generated/asm-offsets.h
CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CC scripts/mod/empty.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
MKELF scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
HOSTCC scripts/mod/file2alias.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/modpost.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/sumversion.o
HOSTLD scripts/mod/modpost
HOSTCC scripts/kallsyms
HOSTCC scripts/pnmtologo
HOSTCC scripts/conmakehash
HOSTCC scripts/bin2c
CC init/main.o
CHK include/generated/compile.h
CC init/version.o
CC init/do_mounts.o
CC init/do_mounts_initrd.o
LD init/mounts.o
ls -Al -m elf_x86_64 -r -o init/mounts.o init/do_mounts.o
init/do_mounts_initrd.o init/mounts.o: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [init/mounts.o] Error 1
make: *** [init] Error 2

glibc is 2.14.1-r3, which otherwise works perfectly, so I don't
think it's the reason.
I cleared ccache and rebuilt the kernel sources, to no avail.

.config is in attachments.

Maybe someone could give me a hint, I need that kernel really
badly and hopefully soon.

kind regards

michael

Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Pandu Poluan

On May 10, 2012 9:27 PM, "Michael Scherer" <a6702894@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi all,

> after downloading the 3.2.12-sources everything went fine

> for a couple of weeks, I compiled them a couple of times,

> but suddenly, maybe because of some world-updates, errors

> started to accumulate, first it could do make but no modules,

> then kernel make made it almost and now I'm stuck with this

> rather short make output:

> *HOSTCC *scripts/basic/fixdep

> *HOSTCC *scripts/kconfig/conf.o

> *HOSTCC *scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o

> scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c: In function ‘header_print_comment’:

> scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:540:10: warning: ignoring return value of

> *‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

> *scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c: In function ‘kconfig_print_comment’:

> *scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:467:10: warning: ignoring return value of

> *‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result HOSTLD

> *scripts/kconfig/conf scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig

> *CHK * * include/linux/version.h CHK * * include/generated/utsrelease.h

> *CC * * *kernel/bounds.s

> *GEN * * include/generated/bounds.h

> *CC * * *arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s

> *GEN * * include/generated/asm-offsets.h

> *CALL * *scripts/checksyscalls.sh

> *CC * * *scripts/mod/empty.o

> *HOSTCC *scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig

> *MKELF * scripts/mod/elfconfig.h

> *HOSTCC *scripts/mod/file2alias.o

> *HOSTCC *scripts/mod/modpost.o

> *HOSTCC *scripts/mod/sumversion.o

> *HOSTLD *scripts/mod/modpost

> *HOSTCC *scripts/kallsyms

> *HOSTCC *scripts/pnmtologo

> *HOSTCC *scripts/conmakehash

> *HOSTCC *scripts/bin2c

> *CC * * *init/main.o

> *CHK * * include/generated/compile.h

> *CC * * *init/version.o

> *CC * * *init/do_mounts.o

> *CC * * *init/do_mounts_initrd.o

> *LD * * *init/mounts.o

> ls -Al -m elf_x86_64 -r -o init/mounts.o init/do_mounts.o

> *init/do_mounts_initrd.o init/mounts.o: No such file or directory

> make[1]: *** [init/mounts.o] Error 1

> make: *** [init] Error 2

> glibc is 2.14.1-r3, which otherwise works perfectly, so I don't

> think it's the reason.

> I cleared ccache and rebuilt the kernel sources, to no avail.

> .config is in attachments.

> Maybe someone could give me a hint, I need that kernel really

> badly and hopefully soon.

> kind regards

> michael

Make sure you're not running out of space or inodes on the mounted filesystem.

(I once ran out of inodes even when freespace is still large. Now I do compiles -- kernel or otherwise -- on reiserfs)

Rgds,

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
"Michael Scherer"

my /usr-partition is at 17% and all other ebuilds,
like a new install of netbeans 7.1, run just fine,
so I doubt this could be the reason, but I'll check
anyway.
*
thanks
*
michael
*
--
Michael Scherer
Univ.klinik f.

> started to accumulate, first it could do make
but no modules,
> then kernel make made it almost and now I'm stuck with
this
> rather short make output:
>
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/basic/fixdep
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
> scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c: In
function ‘header_print_comment’:
> scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:540:10:
warning: ignoring return value of
> *‘fwrite’, declared with
attribute warn_unused_result
> *scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c: In
function ‘kconfig_print_comment’:

*scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:467:10: warning: ignoring return value
of
> *‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
HOSTLD
> *scripts/kconfig/conf scripts/kconfig/conf
--silentoldconfig Kconfig
> *CHK * *
include/linux/version.h CHK * *
include/generated/utsrelease.h
> *CC * *
*kernel/bounds.s
> *GEN * *
include/generated/bounds.h
> *CC * *
*arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s
> *GEN * *
include/generated/asm-offsets.h
> *CALL *
*scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> *CC * *
*scripts/mod/empty.o
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
> *MKELF *
scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/mod/file2alias.o
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/mod/modpost.o
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/mod/sumversion.o
> *HOSTLD
*scripts/mod/modpost
> *HOSTCC *scripts/kallsyms

*HOSTCC *scripts/pnmtologo
> *HOSTCC
*scripts/conmakehash
> *HOSTCC *scripts/bin2c

*CC * * *init/main.o
> *CHK * *
include/generated/compile.h
> *CC * *
*init/version.o
> *CC * *
*init/do_mounts.o
> *CC * *
*init/do_mounts_initrd.o
> *LD * *
*init/mounts.o
> ls -Al -m elf_x86_64 -r -o init/mounts.o
init/do_mounts.o
> *init/do_mounts_initrd.o init/mounts.o: No such
file or directory
> make[1]: *** [init/mounts.o] Error 1
> make:
*** [init] Error 2

> glibc is 2.14.1-r3, which otherwise works
perfectly, so I don't
> think it's the reason.
> I cleared ccache
and rebuilt the kernel sources, to no avail.

> .config is in
attachments.

> Maybe someone could give me a hint, I need that
kernel really
> badly and hopefully soon.
>
> kind
regards

Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Stroller

On 10 May 2012, at 15:20, Michael Scherer wrote:

> after downloading the 3.2.12-sources everything went fine
> for a couple of weeks, I compiled them a couple of times,
> but suddenly, maybe because of some world-updates, errors
> started to accumulate, …

Please don't hijack threads like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_hijacking
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.gentoo.user/msg/8a540add45e7e9b8?

"It is irritating for people using thread-aware e-mail clients...
In case you didn't know, it happens when you use "reply" for sending
a new question instead of composing a "new" message."

Stroller.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 AM
"Michael Scherer"

I'm always replying to gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org and I'm not aware I ever used
one of the addresses you mentioned below. I'm rather new to this forum, so it's
entirely possible I did something wrong somewhere, so please tell me where else
I should post my replies.
And if you feel the urge to correct me on my postings you might as well post some
advice on my problem too.

michael

Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Joshua Murphy

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Michael Scherer
<a6702894@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:
> I'm always replying to gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org and I'm not aware I ever
> used
> one of the addresses you mentioned below. I'm rather new to this forum, so
> it's
> entirely possible I did something wrong somewhere, so please tell me where
> else
> I should post my replies.
> And if you feel the urge to correct me on my postings you might as well post
> some
> advice on my problem too.
>

> michael
>
> --
> Michael Scherer
> Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie
> email: michael.scherer@meduniwien.ac.at
> phone: +43 6991 941 22 54
>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stroller"
>> <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>

He pulled those addresses from the message headers that went out with
your initial question, which it appears you sent, aiming to start a
new thread of discussion on, by hitting reply in the midst of
"[gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?" and changing the
subject. It's a quick way to get a message headed towards the list,
but it *does* throw clients that are better at thread tracking for a
bit of a loop (and makes it easy for your question to get lost in an
already 40+ message long thread). As for your initial question,
building from your config on a clean (distclean, no ccache, etc)
3.1.12 gentoo patched tree built rather quick and problem free on my
box here (using -j5 at that. My first guess was a race issue in a
parallel build)... You might find something notably different in your
versions of things, so here's what I'm running on there.

lanos linux-3.2.12-gentoo # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.10.49 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.5.3,
glibc-2.14.1-r3, 3.2.1-gentoo-r2-lanos x86_64)
System uname: Linux-3.2.1-gentoo-r2-lanos-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Quad_CPU_Q6600_@_2.40GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.3
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 07 May 2012 17:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p20
dev-lang/python: 2.7.2-r3, 3.1.4-r3, 3.2.2
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.26
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.3
sys-apps/openrc: 0.9.8.4
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.5
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.68
sys-devel/automake: 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.5.3-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.5-r2
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4-r1
sys-devel/make: 3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.1 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.14.1-r3

If you're running something newer somewhere, or vanilla-sources, or
somesuch I can poke around a bit and see if I can replicate your
troubles here, but I can't guarantee short timeframes... I've around
1k miles of travelling this weekend, half of which will be learning
quickly whether the car I just grabbed on ebay was a good idea or not.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Fri, 11 May 2012 03:01:39 +0200
"Michael Scherer" <a6702894@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> I'm always replying to gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org and I'm not aware
> I ever used one of the addresses you mentioned below. I'm rather new
> to this forum, so it's entirely possible I did something wrong
> somewhere, so please tell me where else I should post my replies.
> And if you feel the urge to correct me on my postings you might as
> well post some advice on my problem too.
>
> michael

gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org is the correct address, but that's not the
mistake you made.

You started an entirely new thread of discussion by replying to an
existing message and changing the Subject line. Now, this doesn't do
what you thought it does. It continues an existing thread where the
Subject line just happens to have changed. Almost everyone here uses
intelligent mailers and this new thread is mixed up inside something
completely unrelated.

The correct thing to do when starting a new thread is to compose an
entirely new mail (not reply to an existing one and remove bits)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 05-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Michael Scherer

On Fri, 11 May 2012 01:18:18 -0400
Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Michael Scherer
> <a6702894@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:
> > I'm always replying to gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org and I'm not
> > aware I ever used
> > one of the addresses you mentioned below. I'm rather new to this
> > forum, so it's
> > entirely possible I did something wrong somewhere, so please tell
> > me where else
> > I should post my replies.
> > And if you feel the urge to correct me on my postings you might as
> > well post some
> > advice on my problem too.
> >

> > michael
> >
> > --
> > Michael Scherer
> > Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie
> > email: michael.scherer@meduniwien.ac.at
> > phone: +43 6991 941 22 54
> >
> >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stroller"
> >> <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>

thanks for advice, I wont make the same error again.

I use plain old gentoo-sources, but for once I'll have a shot at
some other kernel, maybe this could give me at least a hint.
I'll check your versions, I already thought some update broke
the kernel compile. Hope I'll find something.

thanks again

michael

Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Michael Scherer

On Fri, 11 May 2012 01:18:18 -0400
Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Michael Scherer
> <a6702894@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:
> > I'm always replying to gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org and I'm not
> > aware I ever used
> > one of the addresses you mentioned below. I'm rather new to this
> > forum, so it's
> > entirely possible I did something wrong somewhere, so please tell
> > me where else
> > I should post my replies.
> > And if you feel the urge to correct me on my postings you might as
> > well post some
> > advice on my problem too.
> >

> > michael
> >
> > --
> > Michael Scherer
> > Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie
> > email: michael.scherer@meduniwien.ac.at
> > phone: +43 6991 941 22 54
> >
> >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stroller"
> >> <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>

I have the exact same hard- and software as described in your list,
but the result doesn't change. Below is the command that should create
mounts.o but for some reason can't make it:

init/.do_mounts.o.cmd:cmd_init/do_mounts.o := gcc -Wp,-MD,init/.do_mounts.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/include -I/usr/src/linux-3.2.12-gentoo/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated -Iinclude -include /usr/src/linux-3.2.12-gentoo/include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -march=k8 -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-inline-functions-called-once -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(do_mounts)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(mounts)" -c -o init/do_mounts.o init/do_mounts.c

The define for making mounts.o is there, but maybe you can find
something wrong where I can't.

Thanks

michael

Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM
walt

On 05/10/2012 07:20 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after downloading the 3.2.12-sources everything went fine
> for a couple of weeks, I compiled them a couple of times,
> but suddenly, maybe because of some world-updates, errors
> started to accumulate,

Yes, sounds like something is wrong with your build environment.

Have you run revdep-rebuild lately? What about etc-update or
something equivalent to it?

Very unlikely suspects but very easy to rule out:
Correct /usr/src/linux symlink? Recent fsck?

Hm, what else?