Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Alecks Gates

Default make of gentoo-sources-3.2.12 fails

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> This is only the case if the person who replies doesn't trim their quoted
> text - which is often the case when brain-dead top-posters try bottom (aka
> inline) posting...
>

> You should always strive to adjust you habits to the rules of the forum you
> are participating in...
>
> I loathe top-posting, but there are a few forums I participate in where that
> is the norm, so I just grin and bear it...

Personally, gmail has given me a bad habit. It defaults to
top-posting in the web client, which I don't see how to change. But
at least on the desktop I can easily move formatting around. On the
Android client it seems rather archaic. Does anyone know how to
change to bottom-posting on either client?

Thankfully, I don't go to any forums that enforce top-posting. I
would probably get myself banned from all the complaining I would do.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
>> This is only the case if the person who replies doesn't trim their quoted
>> text - which is often the case when brain-dead top-posters try bottom (aka
>> inline) posting...
>>

>> You should always strive to adjust you habits to the rules of the forum you
>> are participating in...
>>
>> I loathe top-posting, but there are a few forums I participate in where that
>> is the norm, so I just grin and bear it...
>>

> Personally, gmail has given me a bad habit. *It defaults to
> top-posting in the web client, which I don't see how to change. *But
> at least on the desktop I can easily move formatting around. *On the
> Android client it seems rather archaic. *Does anyone know how to
> change to bottom-posting on either client?

In Android, you can press "Reply in-line", but then you've got to
navigate potentially large email threads using a tiny screen to get to
the right place to reply. It's an ugly scenario.

--
:wq

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 14 May 2012 14:11:25 -0500
Alecks Gates <alecks.g@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Tanstaafl
> <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> > This is only the case if the person who replies doesn't trim their
> > quoted text - which is often the case when brain-dead top-posters
> > try bottom (aka inline) posting...
> >

> > You should always strive to adjust you habits to the rules of the
> > forum you are participating in...
> >
> > I loathe top-posting, but there are a few forums I participate in
> > where that is the norm, so I just grin and bear it...
> >

> Personally, gmail has given me a bad habit. It defaults to
> top-posting in the web client, which I don't see how to change. But
> at least on the desktop I can easily move formatting around. On the
> Android client it seems rather archaic. Does anyone know how to
> change to bottom-posting on either client?

So around here we say don't top post rather bottom bottom, but what we
actually mean is inline post with your contribution below the portion
you are replying to and extraneous bits of the quoted text removed.
Also liberal use of [snip] tags is encouraged.

We generally tolerate gmail webapp users (trying to inline post on that
is hard to do but possible) and reluctantly accept the smartphone users
often have no choice as it's impossible to do anything other than top
post on many devices (especially BlackBerrys). Such users should leave
the nice "Sent from my BlackBerry" comment at the bottom, it helps
indicate you can't avoid the top-post.

All of these "rules" are like any other form of good manners - designed
to smooth communication and make it a pleasant thing to do. Just like
in real life, it's equally good manners to indicate up-front if you
can't do the norm. Example: some places it's expected that men stand up
when a lady enters the room. But not if the man has a broken leg, in
which case he should make sure the plaster cast and crutches can be
seen.

See how it works? :-)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 14 May 2012 12:13:18 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> For example: Alan, Mike, Pandu, Mark, Neil and me are the top posters
> on this list.

Yo Dale,

You might want to re-calibrate your stats engine :-)

I've been quiet for a while (getting old...)[1] and fifty bucks says
Michael, Canek, Pandu and a couple more have all posted more than me
this year

[1] Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> We generally tolerate gmail webapp users (trying to inline post on that
> is hard to do but possible) and reluctantly accept the smartphone users
> often have no choice as it's impossible to do anything other than top
> post on many devices (especially BlackBerrys). Such users should leave
> the nice "Sent from my BlackBerry" comment at the bottom, it helps
> indicate you can't avoid the top-post.

You may have noticed I usually have ":wq" at the ends of my emails.
That's when I'm posting from, e.g. GMail's web app. When you see "ZZ",
that's my phone or tablet.

--
:wq

Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 14 May 2012 17:01:59 -0400
Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Alan McKinnon
> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > We generally tolerate gmail webapp users (trying to inline post on
> > that is hard to do but possible) and reluctantly accept the
> > smartphone users often have no choice as it's impossible to do
> > anything other than top post on many devices (especially
> > BlackBerrys). Such users should leave the nice "Sent from my
> > BlackBerry" comment at the bottom, it helps indicate you can't
> > avoid the top-post.
>
> You may have noticed I usually have ":wq" at the ends of my emails.
> That's when I'm posting from, e.g. GMail's web app. When you see "ZZ",
> that's my phone or tablet.

True's bob, whaddaya know. It's there right enough :-)

I still think Neil has the best sigs in the entire universe.
It's spooky the way his fortunes work.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 14 May 2012 23:24:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I still think Neil has the best sigs in the entire universe.
> It's spooky the way his fortunes work.

They're totally random and chosen by software, I have no influence over
them.

--
Neil Bothwick