Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Dale

Default What to use for Flash?

Hi,

There was a thread a while back that talked about flash. Well, I let
mine upgrade and now it crashes, badly. I unmerged adobe-flash then
tried lightspark and gnash. Neither of those work on sites I tried,
which is sites I go to a good bit.

Since Adobe is dropping Linux flash, that's what I read anyway, what is
everyone using for flash now?

Things I tried so far:

www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.3.183.18
www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.233
www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235
gnash-0.8.10-r2
lightspark-0.5.6

The version that worked last is:

www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.1.102.55

It's no longer in the tree of course. < sighs >

Ideas?

Dale

P. S. I'm working on a overlay. Any guesses on how well this is working
out. lol

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
James

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> There was a thread a while back that talked about flash.

USE the chrome browser?

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086

Many of the newest chipsets will support running multiple
OS's concurrently. Not in a chroot, or rebooting but
concurrently.

This will most likely result in most Linux folks running
android simultaneously with linux, imho. It will certainly
be the norm for many cell phones.

I do not follow intel nor AMD very much anymore, but for the ARM-15,
which is now out for privileged developers, running
Doz, Android and linux concurrently is going to be the
norm.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but, it's where
my basket of eggs are going... ARM-15 (piss on Intel) is the future, imho.

PS, there are strong rumors that AMD may support Arm-15 cores in the same
package as their CPUs.....

hth,
James

Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Dale

James wrote:
> Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> There was a thread a while back that talked about flash.
>
> USE the chrome browser?
>
> http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086
>
> Many of the newest chipsets will support running multiple
> OS's concurrently. Not in a chroot, or rebooting but
> concurrently.
>
> This will most likely result in most Linux folks running
> android simultaneously with linux, imho. It will certainly
> be the norm for many cell phones.
>
> I do not follow intel nor AMD very much anymore, but for the ARM-15,
> which is now out for privileged developers, running
> Doz, Android and linux concurrently is going to be the
> norm.
>
> Probably not the answer you are looking for, but, it's where
> my basket of eggs are going... ARM-15 (piss on Intel) is the future, imho.
>
> PS, there are strong rumors that AMD may support Arm-15 cores in the same
> package as their CPUs.....
>

> hth,
> James

Thing is, I use Seamonkey, although I tried this in Firefox too and get
the same results. I use it because it is one program that does most all
of my internet stuff. I would prefer using Seamonkey than having to
deal with yet another program and splitting my stuff up again. Plus, I
like Seamonkey. It works fine for me. I however am trying to get away
from google stuff. Email will be done one of these days.

BTW, I have a regular desktop. My cell phone is still pretty stupid but
it does handle text. Nothing else but text so I'm not that far behind,
yet. Oh, phone calls too. lol

Any other ideas?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Mick

On Thursday 10 May 2012 12:47:51 Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There was a thread a while back that talked about flash. Well, I let
> mine upgrade and now it crashes, badly. I unmerged adobe-flash then
> tried lightspark and gnash. Neither of those work on sites I tried,
> which is sites I go to a good bit.
>
> Since Adobe is dropping Linux flash, that's what I read anyway, what is
> everyone using for flash now?
>
> Things I tried so far:
>
> www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.3.183.18
> www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.233
> www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235
> gnash-0.8.10-r2
> lightspark-0.5.6
>
> The version that worked last is:
>
> www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.1.102.55
>
> It's no longer in the tree of course. < sighs >
>
> Ideas?

The latest stable www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235 includes the sse2check
flag and warnings about it - I take it that you have taken hid of these?

$ euse -i sse2check
global use flags (searching: sse2check)
no matching entries found

local use flags (searching: sse2check)
[- ] sse2check
www-plugins/adobe-flash: This flag, enabled by default, will check
for sse2 support on your cpu and die if not found. If you are
remote-building this package, you can disable this flag but you have
been warned
10.3.183.18 [gentoo]
[+ B] 11.2.202.228 [gentoo]
[+ B] 11.2.202.233 [gentoo]
[+ B] 11.2.202.235 [gentoo]
Mick

Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
James

Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thing is, I use Seamonkey, although I tried this in Firefox too and get
> the same results. I use it because it is one program that does most all
> of my internet stuff. I would prefer using Seamonkey than having to
> deal with yet another program and splitting my stuff up again. Plus, I
> like Seamonkey. It works fine for me. I however am trying to get away
> from google stuff. Email will be done one of these days.

I feel your pain.
I love seamonkey too.
The previous thread you refer to, was mine.
I'm on your side.
There IS NO future, that we seek, from my
understanding.

I keep waiting on one of the "boy geniuses" on the list
to save our seamonkey running flash.....

But, as the list knows, I'm old and jaded and do
not have much faith in the future of Flash, from
a linux perspective. But, I think it's a game of
"chicken" as Adobe would be foolish to loose this
market; so I'm hoping that Adobe blinks and decides
to support a future for Flash that works with the
open source community's requirements.

I would not wager on what is to be.

> BTW, I have a regular desktop. My cell phone is still pretty stupid but
> it does handle text. Nothing else but text so I'm not that far behind,
> yet. Oh, phone calls too. lol
> Any other ideas?

There should be ARM-A15 embedded boards that are cheap and abound.
Just put one on your net (less than 5 watts and less than $200 USD).
and you can run X on the A15 and display the (flash)application onto
your old Amd or intel desktop. I do a lot of work with embedded
processors, and *Everybody but Intel* sees the A15
as the future, even AMD is getting new religion.......
Ubuntu has installation media for the ARM-A9 family now
and they are making a major push for the A15, currently.

One way or another, the 'flash cat' will get skinned.
(ps somebody much smarter than me will figure out
something cool for us commoners.......methinks).
That's why Linux rules and microsoft drools.

hth,
James

Old 05-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Dale

Mick wrote:

> The latest stable www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235 includes the sse2check
> flag and warnings about it - I take it that you have taken hid of these?
>
> $ euse -i sse2check
> global use flags (searching: sse2check)
> ************************************************** **********
> no matching entries found
>
> local use flags (searching: sse2check)
> ************************************************** **********
> [- ] sse2check
> www-plugins/adobe-flash: This flag, enabled by default, will check
> for sse2 support on your cpu and die if not found. If you are
> remote-building this package, you can disable this flag but you have
> been warned
> 10.3.183.18 [gentoo]
> [+ B] 11.2.202.228 [gentoo]
> [+ B] 11.2.202.233 [gentoo]
> [+ B] 11.2.202.235 [gentoo]

I checked on this when it was mentioned, I guess in the other thread.
It appears it got changed when I did my upgrade. At least it doesn't
crash now. It was enabled tho so I fixed that.

New problem tho. I have Seamonkey's web browser on desktop 1. The
email is on desktop 2. My local radar from NOAA uses flash. When I
load it, I can see the image from flash on both desktop 1 and 2.
Everything else is updated except the flash part. If I switch a couple
times, it gets really weird looking. Looks like someone slipped LSD in
my drink or something. Just weird colors and such.

What's up with that? I'm going to try rebuilding a couple things to
make sure everything is in sync. Maybe that will fix it.

While I am at it. Is HTML5 going to replace flash? I don't mean in the
next week but over a period of time. While researching this, I ran
across posts that suggest HTML5 will render flash outdated. Just curious.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Mick

On Saturday 12 May 2012 02:17:04 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > The latest stable www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235 includes the
> > sse2check flag and warnings about it - I take it that you have taken hid
> > of these?
> >
> > $ euse -i sse2check
> > global use flags (searching: sse2check)
> > ************************************************** **********
> > no matching entries found
> >
> > local use flags (searching: sse2check)
> > ************************************************** **********
> > [- ] sse2check
> >
> > www-plugins/adobe-flash: This flag, enabled by default, will check
> > for sse2 support on your cpu and die if not found. If you are
> > remote-building this package, you can disable this flag but you have
> > been warned
> >
> > 10.3.183.18 [gentoo]
> >
> > [+ B] 11.2.202.228 [gentoo]
> > [+ B] 11.2.202.233 [gentoo]
> > [+ B] 11.2.202.235 [gentoo]
>
> I checked on this when it was mentioned, I guess in the other thread.
> It appears it got changed when I did my upgrade. At least it doesn't
> crash now. It was enabled tho so I fixed that.
>
> New problem tho. I have Seamonkey's web browser on desktop 1. The
> email is on desktop 2. My local radar from NOAA uses flash. When I
> load it, I can see the image from flash on both desktop 1 and 2.
> Everything else is updated except the flash part. If I switch a couple
> times, it gets really weird looking. Looks like someone slipped LSD in
> my drink or something. Just weird colors and such.
>
> What's up with that? I'm going to try rebuilding a couple things to
> make sure everything is in sync. Maybe that will fix it.
>
> While I am at it. Is HTML5 going to replace flash? I don't mean in the
> next week but over a period of time. While researching this, I ran
> across posts that suggest HTML5 will render flash outdated. Just curious.

If you speak to adobe, they'll say no.

If you speak to apple they'll say yes.

Mobile devices have mostly moved away from flash. Youtube already serves
html5 videos, if only as a trial:

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Unless flash provides something that html5 or other code (e.g. JavaScript,
CSS, etc.) can't, I think flash is on its slow way out.
Mick

Old 05-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Dale

Mick wrote:

> If you speak to adobe, they'll say no.
>
> If you speak to apple they'll say yes.
>
> Mobile devices have mostly moved away from flash. Youtube already serves
> html5 videos, if only as a trial:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> Unless flash provides something that html5 or other code (e.g. JavaScript,
> CSS, etc.) can't, I think flash is on its slow way out.

That's the way I understood the articles I was reading as well. I seems
HTML5 is fairly powerful and rich in features. Read that as, you can
watch videos, show gif, jpegs and such and have other animated thingys.

I would also add, I bet it is going to be more secure too. From what I
have read on this list and the notices I get from the US Government
alerts, Adobe Flash is about the most insecure thing there is. The only
thing that may beat it is windoze 95. ROFL

I read about Youtube and it's testing. I have not tried it on a
permanent basis but I did do a one session test a while back. I
couldn't SEE any difference. I think that is a good thing myself. I'm
not sure what all changes there was tho. It may not make enough of a
difference for me to notice, yet.

Here's to hoping HTML5 gets rid of flash, sooner the better.

Thanks for the info and the fix.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 PM

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 08:07:54AM +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2012 12:47:51 Dale wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There was a thread a while back that talked about flash. Well, I let
> > mine upgrade and now it crashes, badly. I unmerged adobe-flash then
> > tried lightspark and gnash. Neither of those work on sites I tried,
> > which is sites I go to a good bit.
> >
> > Since Adobe is dropping Linux flash, that's what I read anyway, what is
> > everyone using for flash now?
> >
> > Things I tried so far:
> >
> > www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.3.183.18
> > www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.233
> > www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235
> > gnash-0.8.10-r2
> > lightspark-0.5.6
> >
> > The version that worked last is:
> >
> > www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.1.102.55
> >
> > It's no longer in the tree of course. < sighs >
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> The latest stable www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235 includes the sse2check
> flag and warnings about it - I take it that you have taken hid of these?
>
> $ euse -i sse2check
> global use flags (searching: sse2check)
> ************************************************** **********
> no matching entries found
>
> local use flags (searching: sse2check)
> ************************************************** **********
> [- ] sse2check
> www-plugins/adobe-flash: This flag, enabled by default, will check
> for sse2 support on your cpu and die if not found. If you are
> remote-building this package, you can disable this flag but you have
> been warned
> 10.3.183.18 [gentoo]
> [+ B] 11.2.202.228 [gentoo]
> [+ B] 11.2.202.233 [gentoo]
> [+ B] 11.2.202.235 [gentoo]
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

I usu just dl the linux flash glob from the Adobe site and put it in
.mozilla/.../plugins.

Terry

Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 08:17:04PM -0500, Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
>
> > The latest stable www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235 includes the sse2check
> > flag and warnings about it - I take it that you have taken hid of these?
> >
> > $ euse -i sse2check
> > global use flags (searching: sse2check)
> > ************************************************** **********
> > no matching entries found
> >
> > local use flags (searching: sse2check)
> > ************************************************** **********
> > [- ] sse2check
> > www-plugins/adobe-flash: This flag, enabled by default, will check
> > for sse2 support on your cpu and die if not found. If you are
> > remote-building this package, you can disable this flag but you have
> > been warned
> > 10.3.183.18 [gentoo]
> > [+ B] 11.2.202.228 [gentoo]
> > [+ B] 11.2.202.233 [gentoo]
> > [+ B] 11.2.202.235 [gentoo]
>

> I checked on this when it was mentioned, I guess in the other thread.
> It appears it got changed when I did my upgrade. At least it doesn't
> crash now. It was enabled tho so I fixed that.
>
> New problem tho. I have Seamonkey's web browser on desktop 1. The
> email is on desktop 2. My local radar from NOAA uses flash. When I
> load it, I can see the image from flash on both desktop 1 and 2.
> Everything else is updated except the flash part. If I switch a couple
> times, it gets really weird looking. Looks like someone slipped LSD in
> my drink or something. Just weird colors and such.
>
> What's up with that? I'm going to try rebuilding a couple things to
> make sure everything is in sync. Maybe that will fix it.
>
> While I am at it. Is HTML5 going to replace flash? I don't mean in the
> next week but over a period of time. While researching this, I ran
> across posts that suggest HTML5 will render flash outdated. Just curious.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>
> --
> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
> how you interpreted my words!
>
> Miss the compile output? Hint:
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

I hope not. HTML5 runs like crap here. I think it may need a faster dl speed
than I've got. If everything does migrate I might have to upgrade my
internet speed.

Terry