Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Mick

Default What to use for Flash?

On Saturday 12 May 2012 17:42:34 ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:

> I hope not. HTML5 runs like crap here. I think it may need a faster dl
> speed than I've got. If everything does migrate I might have to upgrade my
> internet speed.

Have you tried increasing the cache on your video player that html5 uses?

Mick

Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Dale

ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 08:07:54AM +0100, Mick wrote:
>> On Thursday 10 May 2012 12:47:51 Dale wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There was a thread a while back that talked about flash. Well, I let
>>> mine upgrade and now it crashes, badly. I unmerged adobe-flash then
>>> tried lightspark and gnash. Neither of those work on sites I tried,
>>> which is sites I go to a good bit.
>>>
>>> Since Adobe is dropping Linux flash, that's what I read anyway, what is
>>> everyone using for flash now?
>>>
>>> Things I tried so far:
>>>
>>> www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.3.183.18
>>> www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.233
>>> www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235
>>> gnash-0.8.10-r2
>>> lightspark-0.5.6
>>>
>>> The version that worked last is:
>>>
>>> www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.1.102.55
>>>
>>> It's no longer in the tree of course. < sighs >
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>
>> The latest stable www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.235 includes the sse2check
>> flag and warnings about it - I take it that you have taken hid of these?
>>
>> $ euse -i sse2check
>> global use flags (searching: sse2check)
>> ************************************************** **********
>> no matching entries found
>>
>> local use flags (searching: sse2check)
>> ************************************************** **********
>> [- ] sse2check
>> www-plugins/adobe-flash: This flag, enabled by default, will check
>> for sse2 support on your cpu and die if not found. If you are
>> remote-building this package, you can disable this flag but you have
>> been warned
>> 10.3.183.18 [gentoo]
>> [+ B] 11.2.202.228 [gentoo]
>> [+ B] 11.2.202.233 [gentoo]
>> [+ B] 11.2.202.235 [gentoo]
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Mick
>

> I usu just dl the linux flash glob from the Adobe site and put it in
> .mozilla/.../plugins.
>
> Terry

But if you do that, portage won't update it or anything else outside
portage. I VERY rarely install anything outside of portage. Right now,
I have nothing installed on my system that is not taken care of by
portage. I keep it that way to make sure everything is updated and
bugs/fixes are taken care of even I forget.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen

Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Dale

Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:

I tried to do the overlay thing. It hated me so it kept spitting out
errors about one thing or the other. I used the rm command to correct
the overlay issue. ;-)

I did get the current version to work tho. It was just my old eyes
missing a USE flag change.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 05-13-2012, 03:29 PM

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 08:32:38PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 12 May 2012 17:42:34 ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I hope not. HTML5 runs like crap here. I think it may need a faster dl
> > speed than I've got. If everything does migrate I might have to upgrade my
> > internet speed.
>
> Have you tried increasing the cache on your video player that html5 uses?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

I don't have a video player on my system. I don't know what it's using,
then. I wonder if I can increase the cache someway....

Terry

Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Mick

On Sunday 13 May 2012 16:29:53 ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 08:32:38PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 May 2012 17:42:34 ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I hope not. HTML5 runs like crap here. I think it may need a faster dl
> > > speed than I've got. If everything does migrate I might have to upgrade
> > > my internet speed.
> >
> > Have you tried increasing the cache on your video player that html5 uses?
>
> I don't have a video player on my system. I don't know what it's using,
> then. I wonder if I can increase the cache someway....
>
> Terry

You could use lsof to see what plugin or video player is called.
Mick