Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Doug Hunley

Default quick question on ALSA_CARDS

My SB Live! 5.1 sang its last note finally, so I'm reverting to the
onboard Intel chip. I got my kernel configured already, but when I
went to edit make.conf, I became confused on which of the following is
correct:
ALSA_CARDS="snd-hda-intel"
or
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

I googled it and, of course, found examples for both :-/

I then used 'eix/' to check the alsa packages and didn't see either form.

Which is correct?

On a side note, is it even needed since I run a monolithic kernel?
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Web:

Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

My SB Live! 5.1 sang its last note finally, so I'm reverting to the
onboard Intel chip. I got my kernel configured already, but when I
went to edit make.conf, I became confused on which of the following is
correct:
ALSA_CARDS="snd-hda-intel"
or
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

I googled it and, of course, found examples for both :-/

I then used 'eix/' to check the alsa packages and didn't see either form.

Which is correct?

On a side note, is it even needed since I run a monolithic kernel?

It's not needed. It's also not needed when building sound drivers as
modules. AFAIK, ALSA_CARDS serves no purpose anymore, since it was used
to control the drivers that were built by the alsa-driver ebuild. The
alsa-driver package has been removed from portage.

You can simply delete ALSA_CARDS from make.conf.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Doug Hunley

now that's excellent news. thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 11:46:54PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote

> You can simply delete ALSA_CARDS from make.conf.

What about ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS ?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 11:46:54PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote

You can simply delete ALSA_CARDS from make.conf.

What about ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS ?

This is for embedded systems that need to strip parts of alsa-lib. It
controls USE flags for media-libs/alsa-lib.

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2006/12/minimising-alsa-lib