FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Alex Schuster
 
Default mplayer2 idle CPU condumption

Hi there!

When you pause mplayer2 playing any kind of video, does its process also
use 100% of one of your cores? I think this is weird. I'm switching back
to mplayer.

Wonko
 
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default mplayer2 idle CPU condumption

On 09/05/12 14:31, Alex Schuster wrote:

When you pause mplayer2 playing any kind of video, does its process also
use 100% of one of your cores?


Nope.
 
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default mplayer2 idle CPU condumption

Nikos Chantziaras writes:

> On 09/05/12 14:31, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > When you pause mplayer2 playing any kind of video, does its process
> > also use 100% of one of your cores?
>
> Nope.

Thanks. Another thing that happens to me only. I filed a bug about this:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415241

Wonko
 
Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Alex Schuster
 
Default mplayer2 idle CPU condumption

I wrote:

> Nikos Chantziaras writes:
>
> > On 09/05/12 14:31, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > When you pause mplayer2 playing any kind of video, does its process
> > > also use 100% of one of your cores?
> >
> > Nope.
>
> Thanks. Another thing that happens to me only. I filed a bug about this:
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415241

I just found out it only happens when I start the video from within
Dolphin, and as my user. From the command line, or as another user with
an unconfigured KDE desktop, it does not happen. Something is very weird
here. Maybe I should start over with a clean KDE environment, AGAIN. But
I really really hate to do this every once in a while. Can't these things
just work?

Wonko
 
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default mplayer2 idle CPU condumption

On 11/05/12 03:06, Alex Schuster wrote:

I wrote:


Nikos Chantziaras writes:


On 09/05/12 14:31, Alex Schuster wrote:

When you pause mplayer2 playing any kind of video, does its process
also use 100% of one of your cores?


Nope.


Thanks. Another thing that happens to me only. I filed a bug about this:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415241


I just found out it only happens when I start the video from within
Dolphin, and as my user. From the command line, or as another user with
an unconfigured KDE desktop, it does not happen. Something is very weird
here. Maybe I should start over with a clean KDE environment, AGAIN. But
I really really hate to do this every once in a while. Can't these things
just work?


Can't you just use SMPlayer? (media-video/smplayer). It's a very nice
mplayer front-end.
 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Alex Schuster
 
Default mplayer2 idle CPU condumption

Nikos Chantziaras writes:

> On 11/05/12 03:06, Alex Schuster wrote:

> >> Thanks. Another thing that happens to me only. I filed a bug about
> >> this: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415241
> >
> > I just found out it only happens when I start the video from within
> > Dolphin, and as my user. From the command line, or as another user
> > with an unconfigured KDE desktop, it does not happen. Something is
> > very weird here. Maybe I should start over with a clean KDE
> > environment, AGAIN. But I really really hate to do this every once in
> > a while. Can't these things just work?
>
> Can't you just use SMPlayer? (media-video/smplayer). It's a very nice
> mplayer front-end.

Sure, although I prefer mplayer, configured to show up on all desktops,
always in the front, without window decorations. So it's not a problem
for me, but I assumed it might be for others, so I filed the bug. But now
it seems it's an indication of deeper problems I have.

Another thing I just found out is that I cannot drag favicons from
Konqueror to the desktop any more, but it works as another user.

Wonko
 
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Alex Schuster
 
Default mplayer2 idle CPU condumption

Alex Schuster writes:

> I wrote:

> > Thanks. Another thing that happens to me only. I filed a bug about
> > this: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415241
>
> I just found out it only happens when I start the video from within
> Dolphin, and as my user. From the command line, or as another user with
> an unconfigured KDE desktop, it does not happen. Something is very weird
> here. Maybe I should start over with a clean KDE environment, AGAIN. But
> I really really hate to do this every once in a while. Can't these
> things just work?

The bug report got some updates, it's not Dolphin's or KDE's fault, but
mplayer2's, happens whenever it is started from a file manager. Something
with terminal keyboard controls enabled by the file manager, but with
stdin not being connected to anything readable.

It's fixed upstream: http://devel.mplayer2.org/ticket/146
Meanwhile, option -noconsolecontrols also helps.

Wonko
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org