-   -   Are those "green" drives any good? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/664611-those-green-drives-any-good.html)

Dale 05-09-2012 08:47 AM

Are those "green" drives any good?

Hi,

As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
videos on, eventually. The prices are coming down now. I keep seeing
these "green" drives that are made by just about every company nowadays.
When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up as good?
Are they as dependable as a plain drive? I guess they are more
efficient and I get that but do they break quicker, more often or no
difference?

I have noticed that they tend to spin slower and are cheaper. That much
I have figured out. Other than that, I can't see any other difference.
Data speeds seem to be about the same.

Please, no brand wars. I may get a WD, Maxtor, Samsung or some other
brand. I haven't picked that part yet. So far, I have had good luck
with drives. I think I have one doorstop so far. I have at least one
of each of the brands above too. Don't jinx me. I'm sure someone has a
horror story about some brand.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Alan McKinnon 05-09-2012 09:25 AM

Are those "green" drives any good?

On Wed, 09 May 2012 03:47:09 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
> videos on, eventually. The prices are coming down now. I keep seeing
> these "green" drives that are made by just about every company
> nowadays. When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up
> as good? Are they as dependable as a plain drive? I guess they are
> more efficient and I get that but do they break quicker, more often
> or no difference?
>
> I have noticed that they tend to spin slower and are cheaper. That
> much I have figured out. Other than that, I can't see any other
> difference. Data speeds seem to be about the same.
>
> Please, no brand wars. I may get a WD, Maxtor, Samsung or some other
> brand. I haven't picked that part yet. So far, I have had good luck
> with drives. I think I have one doorstop so far. I have at least one
> of each of the brands above too. Don't jinx me. I'm sure someone
> has a horror story about some brand.

Green drives are basically just low power drives. It's a branding
gimmick. Like you noticed already, they tend to spin slower (uses less
power).

I stuck 4 of them in my media server for 12TB of cheap storage. And
they are silent. I can barely hear them running even when I'm sitting
next to the server and the kids are running the telly full tilt :-)

I haven't heard any mention from anyone at all that they are less
reliable in any way. I'd expect them to be more reliable than
super-fast drives because they are lower power, but drive models have
so many things affecting reliability it's hard to tell.

One thing we have noticed is that Samsung's recent model are not very
"green", they spin up slowly, use lots of power and make a racket when
spinning. But they do work.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Dale 05-09-2012 09:52 AM

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2012 03:47:09 -0500
> Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
>> videos on, eventually. The prices are coming down now. I keep seeing
>> these "green" drives that are made by just about every company
>> nowadays. When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up
>> as good? Are they as dependable as a plain drive? I guess they are
>> more efficient and I get that but do they break quicker, more often
>> or no difference?
>>
>> I have noticed that they tend to spin slower and are cheaper. That
>> much I have figured out. Other than that, I can't see any other
>> difference. Data speeds seem to be about the same.
>>
>> Please, no brand wars. I may get a WD, Maxtor, Samsung or some other
>> brand. I haven't picked that part yet. So far, I have had good luck
>> with drives. I think I have one doorstop so far. I have at least one
>> of each of the brands above too. Don't jinx me. I'm sure someone
>> has a horror story about some brand.
>

> Green drives are basically just low power drives. It's a branding
> gimmick. Like you noticed already, they tend to spin slower (uses less
> power).
>
> I stuck 4 of them in my media server for 12TB of cheap storage. And
> they are silent. I can barely hear them running even when I'm sitting
> next to the server and the kids are running the telly full tilt :-)
>
> I haven't heard any mention from anyone at all that they are less
> reliable in any way. I'd expect them to be more reliable than
> super-fast drives because they are lower power, but drive models have
> so many things affecting reliability it's hard to tell.
>
> One thing we have noticed is that Samsung's recent model are not very
> "green", they spin up slowly, use lots of power and make a racket when
> spinning. But they do work.

I was thinking the same thing about the speed and them lasting longer
because of the slower speed. I mean, it's less wear and less heat. I'd
just hate to buy one and it be a piece of junk or something else I
wasn't expecting to be wrong. I wish I could afford server grade.
Weeeeee!!

I'm going to give this a shot. It's not like the OS is on it and I will
be putting a lot of wear on it or be making those heads sing. It's just
going to store videos, music and other stuff. I plan to set it up with
LVM and put /home on it. Then I'm going to get rid of this legacy /data
directory I have been carrying around for the past 7 or 8 years. Just
put it all in /home where it should have been to begin with.

I also forgot to mention, this rig runs 24/7 for the most part. It's
usually only off when the power has failed and my UPS is a bit low.
I'll be glad when they get our new wires ran for power. They been
working on it for at least a month. It's ONLY 12 miles or so. ;-)
They are replacing poles, wires, hardware and everything. I been here
for 40 years, I have never seen them replace all this. Bad thing is,
the lights go out when they do a major switch over. I bet the lines
won't be breaking so much when this is done, at least not until some nut
wrecks and hits the stinking pole. :/

Thanks for the info. At least I know it won't be junk. lol

Dale

:-) :-)