Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Converting HTML to PDF or PS

I need to convert web pages to PDF files under program control,
perhaps from cron, perhaps a backgrounded batch job. An X window
enviornment could probably be set up, but I'd prefer not going thru
that hassle. Point and click manual intervention just won't do.
These web pages use Javascript; some render so-so without javascript,
some don't render at all well. What I would like is some firefox (or
Konqueror or ...) command line option to render the page and save it
as any other format -- jpg, pdf, ps, doesn't matter. Cups-pdf sounds
like it might help, if I could use command line options to tell
firefox to print the page. I see that firefox 3 will have a print to
PDF option, and that might be good enough, but it's not available now,
and there'd need to be some way of starting firefox and telling it to
print under program control.

Firefox has some command line options to help, such as height and
width. And none of them (that I can find) do anything useful like
print to pdf and exit.

I am open to any suggestions which can be automated. If a perl
program could run firefox as a child under X and feed it X input, or a
perl CPAN module which understands javascript, or even if there are
commercial programs which do this, I am all ears.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933