FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

Hi,

probably since I've emerged openssh-6.0_p1 and/or git-sources-3.4_rc? I
have problems with ssh.
scp as well as filezilla as well as rsync -e 'ssh' stall when
transmitting a somewhat larger file.

This might be as few as 500 Kb on a slow network (256 Kbit/s).
But it occurs on a fast network (100 Mbit/s) as well, when transmitting
a larger file.


ssh not only stalls but seems to hang indefinitely.

Is this bug known and is there a work around?

Many thanks for some help,
Helmut.
 
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Keith Dart
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

Re , Helmut Jarausch said:
> Is this bug known and is there a work around?

Sorry no answer, but I also saw this when using scp. I wasn't sure what
it was. But you're not alone... ;-)

Maybe we should just downgrade?


-- Keith


--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>
public key: ID: 19017044
<http://www.dartworks.biz/>
================================================== ===================
 
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

On Tue, 08 May 2012 09:04:59 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> probably since I've emerged openssh-6.0_p1 and/or git-sources-3.4_rc?
> I have problems with ssh.
> scp as well as filezilla as well as rsync -e 'ssh' stall when
> transmitting a somewhat larger file.
> This might be as few as 500 Kb on a slow network (256 Kbit/s).
> But it occurs on a fast network (100 Mbit/s) as well, when
> transmitting a larger file.
>
> ssh not only stalls but seems to hang indefinitely.

Yes it is, search b.g.o.

The problem is caused by the server running openssh-0.6_p1 with the hpn
USE flag, which is enabled by default. Either downgrade to 5.x or
re-emerge with USE="-hpn". I did the latter and everything is working as
it should now.

Well, not everything, my knee is still shot but SSH works


--
Neil Bothwick

mandelbug /man'del-buhg/ n.
[from the Mandelbrot set] A
bug whose underlying causes are so complex and obscure as to make
its behavior appear chaotic or even non-deterministic. This term
implies that the speaker thinks it is a Bohr bug, rather than
a heisenbug. See also schroedinbug.
 
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Joseph
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

On 05/08/12 09:09, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2012 09:04:59 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:


probably since I've emerged openssh-6.0_p1 and/or git-sources-3.4_rc?
I have problems with ssh.
scp as well as filezilla as well as rsync -e 'ssh' stall when
transmitting a somewhat larger file.
This might be as few as 500 Kb on a slow network (256 Kbit/s).
But it occurs on a fast network (100 Mbit/s) as well, when
transmitting a larger file.

ssh not only stalls but seems to hang indefinitely.


Well, openssh-5.9_p1-r4
flag: "hpn" on by default and ssh is working without a problem.


If I were you I would open a bug.

--
Joseph
 
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Keith Dart
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

Re 1336460699.6491.0@numa-i1336460699.6491.0@numa-i, Neil Bothwick said:
> re-emerge with USE="-hpn". I did the latter and everything is working
> as it should now.


Funny how "hpn" is supposed to enable "high performance". :-D

-- Keith


--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>
public key: ID: 19017044
<http://www.dartworks.biz/>
================================================== ===================
 
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

On Tue, 8 May 2012 11:29:19 -0700, Keith Dart wrote:

> > re-emerge with USE="-hpn". I did the latter and everything is working
> > as it should now.

> Funny how "hpn" is supposed to enable "high performance". :-D

But it stalls and blocks so much more quickly with it on


--
Neil Bothwick

Mr. bullfrog says: "time's fun when you're having flies."
 
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:09:05 -0600, Joseph wrote:

> Well, openssh-5.9_p1-r4
> flag: "hpn" on by default and ssh is working without a problem.

It's only a problem with hpn and openssh-6.0_p1, as discussed in the bug
report.

> If I were you I would open a bug.

Another one?


--
Neil Bothwick

Committee (noun): A group of people spending hours taking minutes
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

On Tue, 8 May 2012 09:09:28 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> The problem is caused by the server running openssh-0.6_p1 with the hpn
> USE flag, which is enabled by default. Either downgrade to 5.x or
> re-emerge with USE="-hpn". I did the latter and everything is working as
> it should now.

The bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414401 now
contains another solution. Leave hpn enabled but set TcpRcvBufPoll to no
in sshd_config. I've tried this and it seems to work. Now we just need to
find which kernel option to set to get this to work properly.


--
Neil Bothwick

I know corn oil comes from corn, where does baby oil come from?
 
Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

On 05/09/2012 11:56:45 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2012 09:09:28 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> The problem is caused by the server running openssh-0.6_p1 with the
hpn

> USE flag, which is enabled by default. Either downgrade to 5.x or
> re-emerge with USE="-hpn". I did the latter and everything is
working as

> it should now.

The bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414401 now
contains another solution. Leave hpn enabled but set TcpRcvBufPoll to
no
in sshd_config. I've tried this and it seems to work. Now we just
need to

find which kernel option to set to get this to work properly.

Sorry, but I don't this. You say, it works without changing any kernel
configuration.

So, why
"Now we just need to find which kernel option to set to get this to
work properly."


Helmut.
 
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default ssh stalls - please help

On Wed, 09 May 2012 13:29:26 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> > The bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414401 now
> > contains another solution. Leave hpn enabled but set TcpRcvBufPoll
> > to no
> > in sshd_config. I've tried this and it seems to work. Now we just
> > need to
> > find which kernel option to set to get this to work properly.
> >
> Sorry, but I don't this. You say, it works without changing any kernel
> configuration.
> So, why
> "Now we just need to find which kernel option to set to get this to
> work properly."

The comment for that configuration option states "# tcp receive buffer
polling. disable in non autotuning kernels". Setting it to no makes it
work, but the implication is that there is a kernel option that will work
with the default.


--
Neil Bothwick

"RAM DISK is NOT an installation procedure!"
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org