Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Michael Hampicke

Default Recommend a tftp server that works?

> Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?

For my BOOTP server I've been using net-ftp/tftp-hpa for quiet some
time, which works great here.

> But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
> refuses. How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
> netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?

Maybe use emerge --force or transfer the ebuild to a local overlay and
remove the blocking. I never understood why different tftp servers block
each other. I mean I can install pure-ftpd and proftpd at the time time too.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Michael Hampicke

> Maybe use emerge --force or transfer the ebuild to a local overlay and
> remove the blocking. I never understood why different tftp servers block
> each other. I mean I can install pure-ftpd and proftpd at the time time too.

Sorry, I meant --nodeps instead of force. I tried it, and am now able to
answer my second part: you cannot install 'em together, at least atftp
and tftpd-hpa, because their binary file has the same same:
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd

--> nasty file collision

Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-05-07, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:

>> Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?
>
> For my BOOTP server I've been using net-ftp/tftp-hpa for quiet some
> time, which works great here.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Right after posting, I finally got atftpd to work.

The init.d script seems to be broken and bails because there's no root
directory configured even though there is one specified in
/etc/conf.d/atftpd. So I gave up on starting it via /etc/init.d.

When running it directly from the command line, I was missing the
"--daemon" option -- which has nothing to do with whether it runs as a
daemon or not (that's controlled by "--no-fork"). It controls whether
it expects stdin to be a UDP socket or it should create and bind a
socket.

Despite the reasonably clear help text description of --daemon, I just
couldn't convince myself to add the --daemon option when I didn't want
it to run as a daemon.

>> But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
>> refuses. How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
>> netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?
>
> Maybe use emerge --force or transfer the ebuild to a local overlay and
> remove the blocking. I never understood why different tftp servers block
> each other. I mean I can install pure-ftpd and proftpd at the time time too.

I would have sworn I had at least two different tftp servers installed
at the same time in the past...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! RELATIVES!!
at

Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Todd Goodman

* Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> [120507 23:34]:
> Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?
>
> I've got atftp installed and have been using the client for some time
> (after fixing a number of bugs).
>
> But, the atftpd server just plain refuses to do anything other than
> print out the help text and exit. It doesn't matter what options you
> specify or what root directory you give, it just prints the help text
> and exits. No error messages, just the help text and you're done.
>
> After having worked with the atftp client code, I have no desire to
> wade into the server code to try to fix it as well.
>
> But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
> refuses. How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
> netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?

I use tftp-hpa and it works well for me.

Todd