FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 AM
James
 
Default minimal web server

Hello,

Backing up routers, I have an option I can
issue from the a router:

#copy running-config [http | https] <url>

so if my laptop is running some minimal web
server (suggestions are most welcome)

and I have local IP connectivity (say
both on a 10.10.10.x network,

The I could just issue this command?

copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>

It should work and it's simple. What would be
some recommendations as to which minimal web server
I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
just backup various router configs to?



James
 
Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Stroller
 
Default minimal web server

On 5 May 2012, at 03:39, James wrote:
> …
> #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
>
> …
> The I could just issue this command?

The question mark terminating this statement seems dubious.

This appears to be a feature of Cisco routers.

http://stack.nil.com/C1256F0A00429755/html/webupload/

> copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>
>
> It should work and it's simple. What would be
> some recommendations as to which minimal web server
> I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
> just backup various router configs to?

www-servers/lighttpd is famously small and on my system all its dependencies are already installed. It has a USE=minimal flag you might also try, for fewer calories.

As a matter of practice I would not leave any webserver running on my laptop, or even installed, for longer than necessary. I would prefer to have a home or office webserver to which I could transfer these files and from which the router can obtain them. Rationally, I have no idea why I imagine one site to be more secure than the other.

Consider this installation-free alternative:
http://www.google.co.uk/searchq=one+line+python+web+server

Stroller.
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default minimal web server

On Sat, 5 May 2012 02:39:27 +0000 (UTC)
James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Backing up routers, I have an option I can
> issue from the a router:
>
> #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
>
> so if my laptop is running some minimal web
> server (suggestions are most welcome)
>
> and I have local IP connectivity (say
> both on a 10.10.10.x network,
>
> The I could just issue this command?
>
> copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>
>
> It should work and it's simple. What would be
> some recommendations as to which minimal web server
> I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
> just backup various router configs to?


How many routers are you backing up and what are your needs?

If you have lots of them and need some kind of record, then rancid is a
most excellent tools. It's also very Unixy so you get bonus points
there.

https://www.shrubbery.net

It's a completely different take on the problem you posed in your mail.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Mick
 
Default minimal web server

On Saturday 05 May 2012 05:32:54 Stroller wrote:
> On 5 May 2012, at 03:39, James wrote:
> > …
> > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
> >
> > …
> > The I could just issue this command?
>
> The question mark terminating this statement seems dubious.
>
> This appears to be a feature of Cisco routers.
>
> http://stack.nil.com/C1256F0A00429755/html/webupload/
>
> > copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>
> >
> > It should work and it's simple. What would be
> > some recommendations as to which minimal web server
> > I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
> > just backup various router configs to?
>
> www-servers/lighttpd is famously small and on my system all its
> dependencies are already installed. It has a USE=minimal flag you might
> also try, for fewer calories.
>
> As a matter of practice I would not leave any webserver running on my
> laptop, or even installed, for longer than necessary. I would prefer to
> have a home or office webserver to which I could transfer these files and
> from which the router can obtain them. Rationally, I have no idea why I
> imagine one site to be more secure than the other.
>
> Consider this installation-free alternative:
> http://www.google.co.uk/searchq=one+line+python+web+server

Other alternatives are boa, thttpd, nginx.

You can also run netcat as 'nc -l -p 80 > backup_20120418.cfg' and then run
the copy command from the router.

--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default minimal web server

On 2012-05-05, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Backing up routers, I have an option I can
> issue from the a router:
>
> #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
>
> so if my laptop is running some minimal web
> server (suggestions are most welcome)
>
> and I have local IP connectivity (say
> both on a 10.10.10.x network,
>
> The I could just issue this command?
>
> copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>
>
> It should work and it's simple. What would be
> some recommendations as to which minimal web server
> I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
> just backup various router configs to?

I don't really understand what you're talking about with the copy
command, but the busybox httpd server is very simple and easy to run.
Lightpd is also smallish.

--
Grant
 
Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Eliezer Croitoru
 
Default minimal web server

On 05/05/2012 05:39, James wrote:

Hello,

Backing up routers, I have an option I can
issue from the a router:

#copy running-config [http | https]<url>

so if my laptop is running some minimal web
server (suggestions are most welcome)

and I have local IP connectivity (say
both on a 10.10.10.x network,

The I could just issue this command?

copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>

It should work and it's simple. What would be
some recommendations as to which minimal web server
I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
just backup various router configs to?



James


how about small ftp server instead httphttps server?

Eliezer
--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il
IT consulting for Nonprofit organizations
eliezer <at> ngtech.co.il
 
Old 05-05-2012, 04:29 PM
James
 
Default minimal web server

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:


> > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>

> How many routers are you backing up and what are your needs?

It varies. I seem to 'inherit' networks that are not populated
by humans (mostly machines & controls). I like to first copy
the running configurations to my laptop as often the routers are old and
nobody seems to know much about them. (yea as an old linux_hag
I get work on stuff that most other will not touch).....
As a PE in Controls, I seem to get lucky and am able
to patch, enhance or replace equipment, with minimal
disturbances to the myriad of protocols and legacy
heuristics that inhabit these plants. It's a situation
where if you break it, you own the problem. I try very
hard to keep Microsoft based technologies out of the plants.
Microsoft(anything) is mostly a disaster in the Process
Controls space. I often prove this to a customer, by dropping
in a sniffer here and there and show them the myriad of
shit_traffic that Microsoft(anything) generates just to move
a few bits around. Besides, if you don't believe me,
just ask the IRANIANS how wonderful MS is (think stuxnet virus).

(enough background?)

I use a laptop, as often the sites do not have any remote
access or it is blocked. I grab a config and then figure
out a fix, only to return later, sometimes with drop in
replacement hardware. Too often, I'm content to just hack
at the old existing (shit) hardware. Industrial folks are not
so robust on their nets that control machines and such.Often,
Poor practices and little of a structured management system exist.
Still, I get to avoid humans, so I trudge along, meeking out a living....


> https://www.shrubbery.net/rancid

Rancid looks interesting enough to explore. Do you have an unofficial
ebuild somewhere, or do you just hack the install on gentoo?

James
 
Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Keith Dart
 
Default minimal web server

Re , James said:
> #copy running-config [http | https] <url>


Routers can usually also write to a tftp or ftp server. Those are
actually simpler to set up.

To use HTTP you would also have to set up a POST handler.


-- Keith


--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>
public key: ID: 19017044
<http://www.dartworks.biz/>
================================================== ===================
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default minimal web server

On Sat, 5 May 2012 16:29:47 +0000 (UTC)
James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>
> > > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
>
> > How many routers are you backing up and what are your needs?
>
> It varies. I seem to 'inherit' networks that are not populated
> by humans (mostly machines & controls). I like to first copy
> the running configurations to my laptop as often the routers are old
> and nobody seems to know much about them. (yea as an old linux_hag
> I get work on stuff that most other will not touch).....
> As a PE in Controls, I seem to get lucky and am able
> to patch, enhance or replace equipment, with minimal
> disturbances to the myriad of protocols and legacy
> heuristics that inhabit these plants. It's a situation
> where if you break it, you own the problem. I try very
> hard to keep Microsoft based technologies out of the plants.
> Microsoft(anything) is mostly a disaster in the Process
> Controls space. I often prove this to a customer, by dropping
> in a sniffer here and there and show them the myriad of
> shit_traffic that Microsoft(anything) generates just to move
> a few bits around. Besides, if you don't believe me,
> just ask the IRANIANS how wonderful MS is (think stuxnet virus).
>
> (enough background?)
>
> I use a laptop, as often the sites do not have any remote
> access or it is blocked. I grab a config and then figure
> out a fix, only to return later, sometimes with drop in
> replacement hardware. Too often, I'm content to just hack
> at the old existing (shit) hardware. Industrial folks are not
> so robust on their nets that control machines and such.Often,
> Poor practices and little of a structured management system exist.
> Still, I get to avoid humans, so I trudge along, meeking out a
> living....
>
>
> > https://www.shrubbery.net/rancid
>
> Rancid looks interesting enough to explore. Do you have an
> unofficial ebuild somewhere, or do you just hack the install on
> gentoo?

Our rancid stuff runs on FreeBSD (I banned Gentoo from all new
production installs 3 years ago...) so we mostly don't bother with
packages. Good old "./configure && make && make install" is what works
for us.

rancid is awesome for what it does, but I doubt it will suit your
needs. Because it logs int a device periodically, it needs direct
access somehow. And considering the age of some of the stuff you
have[1] most of it won't support ssh properly, so you need telnet.
There goes any idea of polling devices for backup purposes and we're
back to grabbing the config off the router on-site. Like several others
said already, I'd go for ftp rather than http for this, it's just
easier.

[1] lemme guess - you deal with actual live networks right? Real ones
that people built. Not the kind of mythical networks described in
Gartner white papers and Cisco training manual where everything is
somehow supposed to all just magically work out the box (but
doesn't...)?

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 AM
James
 
Default minimal web server

Keith Dart <keith <at> dartworks.biz> writes:

>
> Re , James said:
> > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
>
> Routers can usually also write to a tftp or ftp server. Those are
> actually simpler to set up.
>
> To use HTTP you would also have to set up a POST handler.


I've used tftp quite a lot in the past. I was looking
for something more, as tftp often is problematic and slow.


Thx,
James
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org