Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
James

Default minimal web server

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Our rancid stuff runs on FreeBSD (I banned Gentoo from all new
> production installs 3 years ago...) so we mostly don't bother with
> packages. Good old "./configure && make && make install" is what works
> for us.

OK, although Rancid is not exactly what I was looking for. Still,
I'll give it a look.

> [1] lemme guess - you deal with actual live networks right? Real ones
> that people built. Not the kind of mythical networks described in
> Gartner white papers and Cisco training manual where everything is
> somehow supposed to all just magically work out the box (but
> doesn't...)?

Unfortunately, yes. Not only that, I work often in heterogenous
router environments. Often things that work well between a single
vendor's routers, do not work well with a myriad of different
makes, models, and firmware versions from off-brands......

The bitch of it all, is often I work on routers in non-climate controlled
environments, so they are rated to 40 C and beyond.........

I still cannot find the IOS syntax that compensates for heat and humidity......
I'm going to check out those minimal webservers, just for grins.

thx,
James

Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 05:32:54AM +0100, Stroller wrote

> Consider this installation-free alternative:
> http://www.google.co.uk/searchq=one+line+python+web+server

This. Here's a Gentoo-specific script, which I saved as "~/bin/webd"
that handles Python 2 and 3...

#!/bin/bash
cd ${1}
current_python=`eselect python show`
if [ "${current_python:0:7}" == "python2" ]; then
python -m SimpleHTTPServer
elif [ "${current_python:0:7}" == "python3" ]; then
python -m http.server 8000
fi

If it's called as simply "webd", it serves up my home directory. If
it's called as "webd /usr/portage/distfiles" it allows access to my
distfiles directory. Note that the user that launches webd has to have
at least read access to the directories to be served.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 03:00:25PM -0700, Keith Dart wrote:
> Re , James said:
> > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
>

> Routers can usually also write to a tftp or ftp server. Those are
> actually simpler to set up.
>
> To use HTTP you would also have to set up a POST handler.
>

> -- Keith
>

> --

> Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>
> public key: ID: 19017044
> <http://www.dartworks.biz/>

Well a small web-server is going to handle the POST headers for you -
you're not going to have to write everything from scratch.