Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default Gnome mimeinfo cache

Hi,

I don't know Gnome but I use some applications, like the
mail-client/balsa.

It opens suitable applications for given mime types (in attachments).
The application invoked is read from
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache .
Unfortunately, that file is rebuild after each emerge of a related
package.
E.g., having reinstalled media-gfx/gimp it places gimp at the front of
the list of

packages suitable for viewing a postscript file.
Currently I am only able to modify
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache by changing

the order of coresponding applications.

Is there a more elegant (persistent) way?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know Gnome but I use some applications, like the mail-client/balsa.
> It opens suitable applications for given mime types (in attachments).
> The application invoked is read from */usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
> .
> Unfortunately, that file is rebuild after each emerge of a related package.
> E.g., having reinstalled media-gfx/gimp it places gimp at the front of the
> list of
> packages suitable for viewing a postscript file.
> Currently I am only able to modify /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache by
> changing
> the order of coresponding applications.
>
> Is there a more elegant (persistent) way?

Edit $HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache? It takes
precedence over the system one.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés