Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:27:59 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:

> It really depends on, from what side you're coming. If you want
> just a few packages, then all is well with the current approach.
>
> If you, however, want everything but a few packages, then the
> current approach isn't so fine anymore.

Do as previously suggested and use individual meta packages instead of
the all-encompassing kde-meta, or use a mixture of meta and individual
packages (that is what I do).

If you just want to omit a couple of packages, try package.provided. This
is not what it is meant for, but I have used it to exclude kppp and
kpersonaliser.

> I do understand that there's a reason why it is the way it is,
> but this does not mean, that I have to like it, does it?

Of course not

--
Neil Bothwick

Handy Guide to Modern Science:
1. If it's green or it wiggles, it's biology.
2. If it stinks, it's chemistry.
3. If it doesn't work, it's physics.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Michael Schmarck

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:27:59 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>
>> It really depends on, from what side you're coming. If you want
>> just a few packages, then all is well with the current approach.
>>
>> If you, however, want everything but a few packages, then the
>> current approach isn't so fine anymore.
>
> Do as previously suggested and use individual meta packages instead of
> the all-encompassing kde-meta,

I think, I'm doing that. And in doing that, I came to the point,
that nothing depends on kde-i18n.

I did a

find /usr/portage -name "*ebuild" -exec grep kde-i18n {} +

and found, that only the kde-meta package depends on kde-i18n.

Michael