Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Anthony Metcalf

Default mtune=k6-2 and a *small* upgrade

Hi All,

An interesting theoretical question. I have a K6-2 with a SATA card
sitting in it, with two drives, which are happily soft-mirrored, with
LVM layered on top, and a nice big iSCSI partition that gets shared to
my laptop whenever it's home.....

It runs postfix (with all the associated tools, amavisd, sqlgrey,
spamassassin), mysql, apache, IMAP etc etc etc I would *really* not like
to have to re-install, and re-set up.

I am thinking of upgrading the dead PC I have in the house, that
would go to an Athlon 64X2, which would be more than adequate for a
desktop, even with all of these services running.

So, the question. What would I have to do in order that I could
build the new system, shutdown the old one, pull the drives, plug them
into the new one, turn it on, and have it actually work?

Obviously a kernel recompile (probably make allyesconfig, or
makeallmodconfig), and a lilo change (since this machine won't boot from
SATA since the spec didn't exist when it was first turned on...).

But what else? Will mtune=k6-2 make executables that will run on an
Athlon 64? Anyone tried this? Would I get to a point where I could make
-e world and have a nice working system?

Regards

Anthony

Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
> * * But what else? Will mtune=k6-2 make executables that will run on
> an Athlon 64? Anyone tried this? Would I get to a point where I could
> make -e world and have a nice working system?

k6 is 32 bit right?

There's no sane upgrade path to amd64, looks like you are in for a
reinstall

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com