Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Mark Knecht

Default convert wmv to mp4?

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
>>> have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.

>>> If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
>>> emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
>>> chance of working.
>>>

>> Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to watch
>> wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
>> that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externally on the Kindle.
>>
>> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
>> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
>> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
>> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
>> any GUI stuff?
>
> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
> me)

I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.

Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
bucks, right? ;-)

And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
will be easy to add that down the road.

It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
through. I hope you get by that soon.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Michael Mol

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
>>> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
>>> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
>>> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
>>> any GUI stuff?
>>
>> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
>> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
>> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
>> me)
>>

> I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
> That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
> different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.
>
> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
> it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
> it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
> but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
> bucks, right? ;-)

Actually, it's pretty simple, and works just fine IME. I've run 32-bit
processes on 64-bit systems ever since I started using 64-bit Linux a
few years ago, and it's unavoidable if one does anything on 64-bit
Windows.

> And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
> will be easy to add that down the road.

For that, I imagine I'd use a TCP socket connecting to localhost. To
put it simply, X network transparency is simply awesome. Your x server
would run in your 64-bit environment, and your client app would run in
your 32-bit environment.

> It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
> through. I hope you get by that soon.

I'm probably going to lose inara to Ubuntu 12.04, unless I get lucky
and manage to properly configure a tiny WYSE box I picked up at a
computer recycling center. If that works, I'm in good shape.

--
:wq

Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Stroller

On 2 May 2012, at 01:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
> …
> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
> it's any big deal.

I don't think there's much difference. I've only started doing AMD64 installs in the last year or so, maybe 2 or 3 of them in total, and I don't seem to be doing anything different.

Just google "gentoo quick install guide" and follow that - it's marked as for x86, but I've been following it for AMD64, too.

Stroller.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Dale

Stroller wrote:

> On 2 May 2012, at 01:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> …
>> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
>> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
>> it's any big deal.
>
> I don't think there's much difference. I've only started doing AMD64 installs in the last year or so, maybe 2 or 3 of them in total, and I don't seem to be doing anything different.
>
> Just google "gentoo quick install guide" and follow that - it's marked as for x86, but I've been following it for AMD64, too.
>
> Stroller.

I follow the same guide for both x86 and amd64. The biggest difference
is the tarball you start with. Other than that, it's pretty much all
the same. Linky:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Helmut Jarausch

<neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

package.use but

a 32-bit

mplayer/ffmpeg can

mplayer/ffmpeg can

Windows
work

>>> There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that
would

>>> have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.

not

>>> If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
>>> emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
>>> chance of working.
>>>

>> Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to
watch

>> wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
>> that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externa
lly on the Kindle.

>> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or
X11,

>> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
>> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in
terms

>> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
>> any GUI stuff?
>
> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
> me)

I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.

Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
bucks, right? ;-)

And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
will be easy to add that down the road.

It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
through. I hope you get by that soon.

I'd use a SystemRescueCD image (it's an up-to-date Gentoo 32 bit system)
Helmut.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Eliezer Croitoru

I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.

Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
but I guess that's why we pay these Intel& Oracle people the big
bucks, right? ;-)

And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
will be easy to add that down the road.

It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
through. I hope you get by that soon.

Cheers,
Mark

how about VLC to convert the videos?
i uesd it couple times to play them and playencode is almost the same
using vlc.

as i remember it has a "cli" like mode.

Eliezer

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il

Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
>>> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
>>> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
>>> me)
>>>

>> I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
>> That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
>> different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.

Hi Michael,
OK, the markets are _really_ boring this morning so while I'm
waiting for grass to grow on my trading platform I did the 32-bit
install in a Virtualbox VM. Booted up fine the first time. Only took
about an hour to get it running, so not too bad. (Made easier by being
able to look at config files on host.

emerge -DuN @world ran in a few minutes and the machine is
up-to-date so I can start looking at maybe ffmpeg or something as a
32-bit app.

For anyone following this thread silently (or looking it up in some
future search) the default settings in gentoo-sources-2.3.12 were
fine. I changed the processor to a Core 2 setting, removed all the
networking devices except for the default Intel devices which are
built in (as that's what the Virtualbox network VM model seems to be
built on) and built in ext3 & ext4 file systems. I used grub, not
grub-static as I usually do and just followed the 32-bit install
guide. Booted perfectly the first time.

The only Vbox trick was to choose the bridged adapter, not the
default NAT device. After I did that networking was up and I was off
and running.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Pandu Poluan

> Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit

> install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt

> it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when

> it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time

> but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big

> bucks, right? ;-)

Magic unicorns. And some pixie dust. :-D

Rgds,

Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Mike Edenfield

Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
as it bombed out after an hour.

ffmpeg runs on Windows, why not just use that?

--Mike