Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Mark Knecht

Default convert wmv to mp4?

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>

>>> I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
>>> I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
>>> play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
>>> this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
>>> of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
>>> subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
>>> subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
>>> recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
>>> Nothing more.
>>>
>>> I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
>>> even know what format they'd be in.
>>
>> Expanding a bit I copied one of the files to a test directory to play
>> with. It seems smplayer will actually play the audio but won't display
>> video. midentify gives some data. When I look at the ffmpeg info it
>> seems to me it's also having trouble with the video portion. At least
>> it seems to understand the audio portion.
>>
>> I'm guessing the pivot point here is the video format code:
>>
>> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>> mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $ midentify Test1.wmv
>> ID_AUDIO_ID=1
>> ID_VIDEO_ID=2
>> ID_FILENAME=Test1.wmv
>> ID_DEMUXER=asf
>> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
>> ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=4971000
>> ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1366
>> ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=740
>> ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
>> ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
>> ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
>> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
>> ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
>> ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
>> ID_START_TIME=5.00
>> ID_LENGTH=9130.09
>> ID_SEEKABLE=1
>> ID_CHAPTERS=0
>> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=20008
>> ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
>> ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
>> ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
>> ID_EXIT=EOF
>> mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/WindowsMediaVideo
>
> Videos with the MSS2 FOURCC should be playable with the w32codecs package.
>

> --
> :wq

Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
emerge won't enable the darn thing...

I'll try another system after the market closes and I have some time.

Thanks,
Mark

mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $ emerge -pv mplayer

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1 USE="X a52
alsa ass cdio dirac dts dv dvd dvdnav enca encode faac faad gif iconv
jpeg jpeg2k live mad mmx mng mp3 network opengl osdmenu png quicktime
rar real rtc schroedinger sdl shm speex sse sse2 ssse3 theora toolame
tremor truetype twolame unicode vorbis x264 xinerama xscreensaver xv
xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -amr (-aqua) -bidi
-bindist -bl -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdparanoia -cpudetection
-custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dvb -dxr3 -fbcon -ftp -ggi
-gsm -ipv6 -jack -joystick -ladspa -libcaca -libmpeg2 -lirc -lzo
-md5sum -mmxext -mpg123 -nas -nut -openal -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr
-radio -rtmp -samba -tga -v4l -vdpau (-vidix) -vpx (-win32codecs)
-xanim -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
mark@c2stable ~/WMV-Test $

Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:30:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
> they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
> emerge won't enable the darn thing...

You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask

--
Neil Bothwick

How do you know when it's time to tune your bagpipes?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:30:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
>> they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
>> emerge won't enable the darn thing...
>
> You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
> to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask

If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:30:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Notice the (-win32codecs) flag. Seems to me (on this system anyway)
>>> they are hard masked off? I tried adding the flag to package.use but
>>> emerge won't enable the darn thing...
>>
>> You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
>> to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
>
> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.

Wouldn't using multilib work around this?

--
:wq

Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You need to unmask the USE flag first, by adding -win32codecs
>>> to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
>>
>> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
>> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.
>
> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?

I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
call 32-bit DLLs.

There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
>>> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.
>>
>> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?
>
> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
> call 32-bit DLLs.
>
> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.

And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
cannot convert them.

Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?

Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
as it bombed out after an hour.

Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?
>>
>> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
>> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
>> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
>> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
>> call 32-bit DLLs.
>>
>> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
>> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
>> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.
>>

> And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
> cannot convert them.
>
> Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
> formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?
>
> Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
> this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
> world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
> looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
> as it bombed out after an hour.

There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.

> Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
> Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
> play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...

If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
chance of working.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
>>> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
>>> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
>>> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
>>> call 32-bit DLLs.
>>>
>>> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
>>> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
>>> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.
>>>

>> And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
>> cannot convert them.
>>
>> Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
>> formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?
>>
>> Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
>> this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
>> world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
>> looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
>> as it bombed out after an hour.
>
> There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
> have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.
>
>> Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
>> Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
>> play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...
>
> If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
> emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
> chance of working.

Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to watch
wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externally on the Kindle.

Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
any GUI stuff?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Michael Mol

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If he is using amd64 he can't use win32codecs unless he uses a 32-bit
>>> mplayer/ffmpeg. AFAIK.
>>
>> Wouldn't using multilib work around this?
>
> I think he would still need to compile a 32-bit mplayer/ffmpeg (in a
> 32-bit chroot) to be able to make use of them. Multilib would let him
> run 32-bit mplayer or ffmpeg binaries (which themselves would be able
> to use the 32-bit DLLs). But I don't think 64-bit mplayer/ffmpeg can
> call 32-bit DLLs.
>
> There is an amd64codecs package containing the 64-bit codecs, but it
> has been masked and made obsolete by the fact that mplayer/ffmpeg can
> natively do most (or all?) of those codecs these days.

I don't muck with multilib explicitly; I have it enabled, but I don't
actively do anything.

How does one appropriately build a 32-bit version of an established
ebuild on a multilib system?

--
:wq

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Michael Mol

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And presumably for all the same reasons, if I cannot play them I
>>> cannot convert them.
>>>
>>> Ah, a world full of unspecified, proprietary vendor specific file
>>> formats hidden in old dlls... Ain't it a fine world we live in?
>>>
>>> Sort of painful to start maintaining a 32-bit chroot just to handle
>>> this sort of thing. I suspect there's some freeware for the Windows
>>> world that might allow me to do the conversion in a VM. I'll start
>>> looking for that. The web site that advertised conversion didn't work
>>> as it bombed out after an hour.
>>
>> There used to be a 32-bit mplayer-bin package in portage that would
>> have made it simple, but that disappeared some time ago.
>>
>>> Maybe there's some simple binary install I could do - Fedora or
>>> Ubuntu, etc. - but my concern there is that those binaries might not
>>> play well inside my 64-bit Gentoo environ...
>>
>> If you can find a statically-linked 32-bit mplayer somewhere, and
>> emerge the win32codecs package on your machine, I think it has a
>> chance of working.
>>

> Actually, going back to the title of the thread, I don't need to watch
> wmv files in 64-bit. I really only need to _convert_ them to mp4 so
> that I could watch them using xine, etc. or externally on the Kindle.
>
> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
> any GUI stuff?

I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
me)

--
:wq