FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM, james <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OK so I have java that I must use, but it is
> "fetch restricted" becasue of Oracle being
> an a_hole.
>
> However, I do not have time to manually bypass the fetch restrction
> every time the file needs to be updated, as I manage
> too many different gentoo systems.
>
> *FU *] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0.31 [1.6.0.29]
>
> I need to stay with the sun-jdk so an automated way
> to fix this once is required.
> The license fix (make.conf) does not do the trick:
> ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
>
> No, I do not want to switch to icetea....
> ideas?

Use a network-mounted distfiles directory on a common file server?
That way, once you've downloaded it once, for any system, the package
is right there for the rest.


--
:wq
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Michael Orlitzky
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On 04/30/12 14:20, james wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OK so I have java that I must use, but it is
> "fetch restricted" becasue of Oracle being
> an a_hole.
>
> However, I do not have time to manually bypass the fetch restrction
> every time the file needs to be updated, as I manage
> too many different gentoo systems.

As far as I know, for legal reasons, Gentoo doesn't provide an automated
way to violate the upstream license (no matter how asinine).

You'll have to script something.
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
James
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:


> Use a network-mounted distfiles directory on a common file server?
> That way, once you've downloaded it once, for any system, the package
> is right there for the rest.


Well I do not use NFS or such, but, I do scp the restricted files around.
My environment is such that it is partitions and systems moved around
too frequently (used remotely) to use a dist file system.

So, I'd like to bypass the fetch restrictions all together...
one and for all; any other ideas?


James
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 04/30/12 14:20, james wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> OK so I have java that I must use, but it is
>> "fetch restricted" becasue of Oracle being
>> an a_hole.
>>
>> However, I do not have time to manually bypass the fetch restrction
>> every time the file needs to be updated, as I manage
>> too many different gentoo systems.
>
> As far as I know, for legal reasons, Gentoo doesn't provide an automated
> way to violate the upstream license (no matter how asinine).
>
> You'll have to script something.

Does the ebuild for portage support user-supplied patches?

--
:wq
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
James
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

Michael Orlitzky <michael <at> orlitzky.com> writes:


> You'll have to script something.

OK? Any examples or pseudo code
that outlines how to do this?

Surely, it's been done before?

maybe something in CPAN?

James
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>
>> Use a network-mounted distfiles directory on a common file server?
>> That way, once you've downloaded it once, for any system, the package
>> is right there for the rest.
>
>
> Well I do not use NFS or such, but, I do scp the restricted files around.
> My environment is such that it is partitions and systems moved around
> too frequently (used remotely) to use a dist file system.
>
> So, I'd like to bypass the fetch restrictions all together...
> one and for all; any other ideas?

Patch Portage? Having a local patch like that would depend on whether
or not the Portage ebuild supported particular hooks, but I don't
remember the specifics.

If you're using scp, you might consider using sshfs for your
distfiles. Or, heck, dropbox.


--
:wq
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Michael Orlitzky
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On 04/30/12 14:50, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>
>>> Use a network-mounted distfiles directory on a common file server?
>>> That way, once you've downloaded it once, for any system, the package
>>> is right there for the rest.
>>
>>
>> Well I do not use NFS or such, but, I do scp the restricted files around.
>> My environment is such that it is partitions and systems moved around
>> too frequently (used remotely) to use a dist file system.
>>
>> So, I'd like to bypass the fetch restrictions all together...
>> one and for all; any other ideas?
>
> Patch Portage? Having a local patch like that would depend on whether
> or not the Portage ebuild supported particular hooks, but I don't
> remember the specifics.

Won't help because the tarball location isn't in the ebuild. You have to
go to the webpage to find it.

You can patch the ebuild every time, but that takes the same amount of
work (on each machine) as wget <foo>.
 
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Michael Orlitzky
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On 04/30/12 14:44, Michael Mol wrote:
>
> Does the ebuild for portage support user-supplied patches?
>

It doesn't look like it, but you can always hack it with,

post_src_unpack() {
cd "${S}"
epatch_user
}

in your ~/.bashrc.
 
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 04/30/12 14:44, Michael Mol wrote:
>>
>> Does the ebuild for portage support user-supplied patches?
>>
>
> It doesn't look like it, but you can always hack it with,
>
> *post_src_unpack() {
> * * *cd "${S}"
> * * *epatch_user
> *}
>
> in your ~/.bashrc.
>

I was thinking 'skip the fetch restriction check', but if the ebuild
doesn't have the file path to retrieve, that's almost moot. It's
_plausible_ one could calculate the path from the version of the
package being emerged, though, so I suppose it's automateable.

--
:wq
 
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Michael Orlitzky
 
Default fetch restriction bypass

On 04/30/12 14:45, James wrote:
> Michael Orlitzky <michael <at> orlitzky.com> writes:
>
>
>> You'll have to script something.
>
> OK? Any examples or pseudo code
> that outlines how to do this?
>
> Surely, it's been done before?
>
> maybe something in CPAN?

You said you're already using scp to move things around; I think that's
as good as it's going to get if you don't want to share distfiles.

It's not as easy as just bypassing the fetch restriction. Neither the
ebuild nor portage know where the upstream tarball is; the only thing in
the ebuild is a link to the webpage.

If you can settle on one machine to offer up its own distfiles folder,
you might be able to overlay that onto each machine with UnionFS.
Multiple DISTDIRs would also work but don't seem to exist. There was a
patch way back in 2003:

> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_4c28fe3b3ff086d022734f20c3aca9a0.xml
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org