Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Anthony Metcalf

Default "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages

Michael Schmarck wrote:

Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of

kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).

Thanks,

Michael

emerge -p depclean will give you a list of all of those packages, and
you can then add to your world file, or uninstall as you see fit....

Be *extremely* careful with this command though...

Anthony

Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
> got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
> because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
> like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
> kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).

emerge --depclean

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Michael Schmarck

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> The other option is to use the kde*meta ebuilds, which do directly
> depend on the sub-ordinate packages. This is what I do and I don't get
> the effect you observed.

Thanks.

I think I removed kde-meta, because it installs too much stuff,
that I don't need (like kppp). It would be nice, if the kde-meta
ebuild would be more like the gst-plugins-meta package, in that
it sould allow the user to specify what he wants to get installed
and what not. It shouldn't be an all or nothing approach, IMO.

Michael

Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Dale

Michael Schmarck wrote:

<<SNIP >>

Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of

kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).

Thanks,

Michael

First things first. Use caution with this. A LOT of caution. Always
do a --pretend first, no exception. I would strongly recommend you to
never let it just remove packages, always remove them by hand. That's
how I do it anyway.

emerge -p --depclean

That will tell you packages that are installed and !may! not be needed
by other packages. Note all the warnings here? I have not had anything
serious removed by using this in ages but strange things can happen.
You need to be careful with this. Remove the wrong thing and it can be
a uphill battle to get it fixed.

If you have a problem with things being removed from your world file,
someone may can give you the command to rebuild it. I'd backup the
current one first, just in case. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do
that but can't recall at the moment. I have never had to do that before.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Michael Schmarck

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>> Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
>> got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
>> because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
>> like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
>> kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).
>
> emerge --depclean

thanks. 200 some packages, which would be removed. Quite a
lot.

After removing stuff, a revdep-rebuild should be done, shouldn't
it?

Michael

Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:39:11 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:

> > emerge --depclean
>
> thanks. 200 some packages, which would be removed. Quite a
> lot.

If you've removed kde-meta, I'm not surprised.

> After removing stuff, a revdep-rebuild should be done, shouldn't
> it?

It won't hurt, although I rarely bother. I usually do emerge -uavDN world.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q: Why is top-posting evil?
A: backwards read don't humans because

Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Anthony Metcalf

Michael Schmarck wrote:

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).

emerge --depclean

thanks. 200 some packages, which would be removed. Quite a
lot.

After removing stuff, a revdep-rebuild should be done, shouldn't
it?

Michael

Yup I would also recommend removing packages by hand.....I won't go
into detail, but last time I didn't do that, it took me two weeks to
recover!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The other option is to use the kde*meta ebuilds, which do directly
> > depend on the sub-ordinate packages. This is what I do and I don't
> > get the effect you observed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I think I removed kde-meta, because it installs too much stuff,
> that I don't need (like kppp). It would be nice, if the kde-meta
> ebuild would be more like the gst-plugins-meta package, in that
> it sould allow the user to specify what he wants to get installed
> and what not. It shouldn't be an all or nothing approach, IMO.
>
> Michael

alan@nazgul ~ $ ls -1d /var/portage/kde-base/*meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdeaccessibility-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdeaddons-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdeadmin-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdeartwork-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdebase-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdebindings-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdeedu-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdegames-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdegraphics-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kde-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdemultimedia-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdenetwork-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdepim-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdesdk-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdetoys-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdeutils-meta
/var/portage/kde-base/kdewebdev-meta

Use these instead of kde-meta. If you want only some stuff in one of
those and not everything, omit the -meta, look inside it's ebuild and
install the DEPENDS you do want.

Same result as what you asked for, different means of achieving it.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:30:11 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:

> I think I removed kde-meta, because it installs too much stuff,
> that I don't need (like kppp). It would be nice, if the kde-meta
> ebuild would be more like the gst-plugins-meta package, in that
> it sould allow the user to specify what he wants to get installed
> and what not. It shouldn't be an all or nothing approach, IMO.

But that's exactly what it's for "merge this to pull in all
non-developer, split kde-base/* packages". If you want to pick and
choose, emerge the packages you want, there's no need to add extra USE
flags and another layer of complexity when the current system handles
both all-in-one and selective installs just fine.

--
Neil Bothwick

Dolly Parton-- silicone based life

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> >> Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
> >> got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
> >> because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
> >> like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
> >> kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).
> >
> > emerge --depclean
>
> thanks. 200 some packages, which would be removed. Quite a
> lot.

Ouch. You'll be wanting to go through that lot with a fine toothcomb and
verify what you really no longer need. 'emerge -n <package>' will put
the package in world so that it won't be considered by --depclean

With that big a change I usually 'emerge -C' stuff in chunks manually to
get the --depclean output down to a more manageable length

> After removing stuff, a revdep-rebuild should be done, shouldn't
> it?

In theory yes.
In practice... in practice you get whatever you get, and sometimes
that's two broken halves. revdep-rebuild usually fixes most of it

Also consider the implications either way of emerge --withbdeps