Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Michael Schmarck

Default "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages

Hello.

Maybe someone can explain this:

$ sudo emerge -DuvatN world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]

$ emerge -vpt kde-i18n

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kde-i18n-3.5.9 [3.5.8] USE="-arts -debug kdeenablefinal xinerama" LINGUAS="-af -ar -az -bg -bn -br -bs -ca -cs -csb -cy -da de -el -en_GB -eo -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy -ga -gl -he -hi -hr -hu -is -it -ja -kk -km -ko -lt -lv -mk -mn -ms -nb -nds -nl -nn -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -rw -se -sk -sl -sr -sr@Latn -ss -sv -ta -te -tg -th -tr -uk -uz -vi -wa -zh_CN -zh_TW" 20,860 kB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 20,860 kB

In "prose": I have kde-i18n-3.5.8 installed. In tree, there's
an update available (kde-i18n-3.5.9).

Why was that updatedable package not picked up, when I ran
emerge -DuvatN world? I also tried "emerge -Duvat world" -
same effect.

How do I make emerge update all the installed packages, if
there's an update available?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Anthony Metcalf

Michael Schmarck wrote:

Hello.

<snip>

How do I make emerge update all the installed packages, if
there's an update available?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi,

First question, was it installed directly, or as a dependency for
something else? If directly, does it appear in the world file?
(/var/lib/portage/world) If it is a dependency, is the package that
depends on it, shown in the world file?

If the answer to the second question above is "no" then try adding
it into the world file, then emerge -DuvatN world again.

Regards

Anthony

Old 04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:51:29 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:

> In "prose": I have kde-i18n-3.5.8 installed. In tree, there's
> an update available (kde-i18n-3.5.9).
>
> Why was that updatedable package not picked up, when I ran
> emerge -DuvatN world? I also tried "emerge -Duvat world" -
> same effect.

Is kde-i18n in your world file? If emerge --depclean -p suggests removing
it, it's not. Add it with emerge -n kde-i18n.

--
Neil Bothwick

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> In "prose": I have kde-i18n-3.5.8 installed. In tree, there's
> an update available (kde-i18n-3.5.9).
>
> Why was that updatedable package not picked up, when I ran
> emerge -DuvatN world? I also tried "emerge -Duvat world" -
> same effect.

kde-i18n is not in your world and is not a direct dependency of anything
in world, and nothing in your world specifically requires
kde-i18n-3.5.9.

emerge -avuND world updates world and it's deep dependencies, not
everything on the entire system regardless. You want to put kde-i18n in
world (emerge -n) to get what you want.

That does give you a cluttered world file, but them's the breaks

The other option is to use the kde*meta ebuilds, which do directly
depend on the sub-ordinate packages. This is what I do and I don't get
the effect you observed.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Michael Schmarck

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:51:29 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>
>> In "prose": I have kde-i18n-3.5.8 installed. In tree, there's
>> an update available (kde-i18n-3.5.9).
>>
>> Why was that updatedable package not picked up, when I ran
>> emerge -DuvatN world? I also tried "emerge -Duvat world" -
>> same effect.
>
> Is kde-i18n in your world file?

No, it's not.

> If emerge --depclean -p suggests removing
> it, it's not. Add it with emerge -n kde-i18n.

Hm - why should I want to add kde-i18n to the world file?
I ran "emerge -D" (--deep). From man emerge:

--deep (-D)
This flag forces emerge to consider the entire dependency tree
of packages, instead of checking only the immediate dependencies
of the packages. As an example, this catches updates in
libraries that are not directly listed in the dependencies of a
package. Also see --with-bdeps for behavior with respect to
build time dependencies that are not strictly required.

kde-i18n got installed as a dependency of some KDE package. Hmm...
I suppose I got it, because I used to have kde-meta installed. And
that package got "lost", somehow. And as it's no longer installed,
there's nothing installed on my system which has kde-i18n as a
dependency. And it's not in the world file.

As that's so, emerge "lost track" of this package, so to say.
Does that sound like a correct summary?

Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).

Thanks,

Michael

Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Michael Schmarck

Anthony Metcalf <Anthony.Metcalf@anferny.ath.cx> wrote:

> Michael Schmarck wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> How do I make emerge update all the installed packages, if
>> there's an update available?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>>

> Hi,
>
> First question, was it installed directly, or as a dependency for
> something else?

I'm pretty sure, it was a dependency.

> (/var/lib/portage/world) If it is a dependency, is the package that
> depends on it, shown in the world file?

I think it was a dependency of kde-meta. kde-meta is no longer installed.

> If the answer to the second question above is "no" then try adding
> it into the world file, then emerge -DuvatN world again.

Yes. Thanks a lot!

Michael