Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default adobe-flash-11.2.202.228 + nvidia crashing

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:22:21PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote

Do you have a really old Intel CPU, or an AMD before the K8 version?
Old Intels and and pre-K8 AMDs don't support SSE2, which is used in the
latest Flash binaries. Using instructions that don't exist on your CPU
== crash city. There's a thread about this in the Gentoo dev forum.
For the gory details, see...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/252481?do=post_view_threaded

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 05-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't remember reading about anyone else with this problem.
>> Hopefully I haven't missed the right thread.
>>
>> I run stable Gentoo + a few ~amd64 packages. My video adapter is an
>> NVidia 463 GTX. Since the update to adobe-flash-11.2.202.228 a few
>> weeks ago all Flash apps crash the plugin within Firefox. I posted a
>> bug report here and got shot down for reasons I don't understand. (I
>> understand what he said and why he said it, but I didn't understand
>> them just giving up without feedback back to Adobe, etc.)
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone else has suffered through this to find a
>> solution. The nouveau suggestion isn't where I want to go with my
>> machines and I'm just not finding any solutions on the web yet.
>>
>> Anyway, there was at the time a newer (IIRC) or possibly slightly
>> older (IIDRC) Flash ebuild but it's been removed from portage. That
>> one worked for me. There is a newer version (11.2.202.233) listed on
>> the Adobe Flash site but I haven't found info on what it corrects.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Flash 11.2 added some new kind of hardware acceleration which
> apparently doesn't work properly for whatever reason. Disable HW
> acceleration in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and cross your fingers... or
> downgrade to 11.1.

I thought I'd report back that while Flash continues to crash on this
machine only even with updates to both Firefox & adobe-flash, I tried
Google Chrome this morning and it works perfectly. I appears the root
cause of this problem would be Firefox, not Flash or nvidia-drivers,
and I once again have a solution for watching Flash-based media, at
least for the short term.

My thinking at this point is that Google is going to drive a solution
that keeps YouTube users happy. I doubt long-term they'll let Adobe, a
much smaller company, control their future... :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Alecks Gates

Doesn't Google bundle a version of flash with their browser?* Or is that something that's coming in the future?

I had flash crashing a lot on my machine, and just disabled hardware acceleration in the settings to fix it.

Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2

Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Mark Knecht

<SNIP>

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't Google bundle a version of flash with their browser?* Or is that
> something that's coming in the future?
>
> I had flash crashing a lot on my machine, and just disabled hardware
> acceleration in the settings to fix it.
>
> Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2

Maybe that's why it works. Who knows? ;-)

Anyway, the 'disable HW acceleration' recommendation didn't work on my
machine because the crash was in the Mozilla Flash plugin container
and Flash never came up. It was just a Sad Mac face and a box that
said Flash crashed so I never had the opportunity to turn it off. Even
with the recommendations folks here made about turning it off in the
config file it still never worked for me. I've come to think of this
as a Firefox crash that only happens when starting Flash, and not
actually a Flash crash.

- Mark

Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM
walt

On 05/06/2012 09:39 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I've come to think of this
> as a Firefox crash that only happens when starting Flash, and not
> actually a Flash crash.

Firefox nerds often suggest starting firefox with the -safemode flag
as an experiment. IIRC it never works, but you can try it

In the old days you could start it with a -g flag and run it from gdb,
but firefox-bin doesn't do that anymore. You could edit the firefox
shellscript and stick a 'gdb' in there, which should do the same thing.