Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Markos Chandras

Default Gentoo segfaults on virtualbox-4.1.14 when running on AMD bulldozer

On 04/30/2012 02:33 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
> Neat. Random guess, but it could be a bug in Bulldozer's memory
> controller or IOMMU. Try disabling IOMMU support in your kernel?
>
> On Apr 29, 2012 3:29 PM, "Markos Chandras" <hwoarang@gentoo.org
> <mailto:hwoarang@gentoo.org>> wrote:
>
> On 04/28/2012 01:24 AM, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Markos Chandras
> <hwoarang@gentoo.org <mailto:hwoarang@gentoo.org>> wrote:
> However, I
>>>>

>> I'm not familiar with virtualbox, but I've seen similar issues
>> occur with vmware and the solution was to at least temporarily
>> mask whatever new cpu flags the new hypervisor was passing to the
>> guest. In vmware, one could limit the cpu flags to maintain
>> compatibility with various cpu releases which was especially
>> helpful in clusters.... Yes, your gentoo vms should have been
>> fine ..but at least until you track down the issue, see if
>> virtualbox has a similar feature?
>>
> Interestingly this seems to be caused when using my wireless card
> to bridge the virtualbox interfaces onto. I can't reproduce (yet)
> any segfaults when I use the onboard ethernet card. I have the
> following wireless card (supported by the rtl8180 kernel module)
>
> 04:06.0 Ethernet controller: Belkin F5D7000 v7000 Wireless G
> Desktop Card [Realtek RTL8185] (rev 20)
>
> -- Regards, Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID:
> B4AFF2C2

AMD IOMMU (Device Drivers -> Hardware IOMMU ) makes no difference. I
will have to move the discussion to virtualbox forums/ML as this seems
a driver or virtualbox problem. Bridge networking on that wireless
card work flawlessly when using Windows 7 as host.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 02:33 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
>> Neat. Random guess, but it could be a bug in Bulldozer's memory
>> controller or IOMMU. Try disabling IOMMU support in your kernel?
>>
>> On Apr 29, 2012 3:29 PM, "Markos Chandras" <hwoarang@gentoo.org
>> <mailto:hwoarang@gentoo.org>> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/28/2012 01:24 AM, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
>> However, I
>>>>>

>>> I'm not familiar with virtualbox, but I've seen similar issues
>>> occur with vmware and the solution was to at least temporarily
>>> mask whatever new cpu flags the new hypervisor was passing to the
>>> guest. *In vmware, one could limit the cpu flags to maintain
>>> compatibility with various cpu releases which was especially
>>> helpful in clusters.... Yes, your gentoo vms should have been
>>> fine ..but at least until you track down the issue, see if
>>> virtualbox has a similar feature?
>>>
>> Interestingly this seems to be caused when using my wireless card
>> to bridge the virtualbox interfaces onto. I can't reproduce (yet)
>> any segfaults when I use the onboard ethernet card. I have the
>> following wireless card (supported by the rtl8180 kernel module)
>>
>> 04:06.0 Ethernet controller: Belkin F5D7000 v7000 Wireless G
>> Desktop Card [Realtek RTL8185] (rev 20)
>>
>> -- Regards, Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID:
>> B4AFF2C2
>>
> AMD IOMMU (Device Drivers -> Hardware IOMMU ) makes no difference. I
> will have to move the discussion to virtualbox forums/ML as this seems
> a driver or virtualbox problem. Bridge networking on that wireless
> card work flawlessly when using Windows 7 as host.

Report back when you find out the meat of the problem. I'm intensely curious.

--
:wq

Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:35:47 +0100
Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is a copy of the thread I recently opened on Gentoo forums[1].
>
> I replaced my Phenom II cpu with a new 6-core AMD bulldozer. However,
> I noticed that all of my Gentoo virtual machines throw (compiler)
> segmentation faults when building or running any application. This
> happens on a Gentoo testing VM, on a Gentoo stable VM and on a brand
> new Gentoo installation. I have no idea where to look for that
> problem.
>
> System:
>
> Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
> CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor
> Host: Gentoo x86_64 testing (has not problem at all, so I presume HW
> problem is eliminated)
>
> Any ideas?

I ran into the same system here: VMs crash soon after being launched
when they first start doing some real work. I only tested Gentoo guests
though.

But, I have Intel i7 cpu.

This is an ~amd64 (unstable) host, running amd64 (stable) guests.

The only clue is in messages:

May 1 16:25:01 khamul kernel: [73366.634971] VBoxHeadless[2642]:
segfault at 10 ip 00007fa35e40599f sp 00007fa35c5b8b00 error 4 in
VBoxDD.so[7fa35e311000+144000]

I downgraded virtual box from 4.1.14 to 4.1.12 and initial
tests are good. A guest is doing a full emerge world and the first
package is glibc. Previously it wouldn't even manage to download
sources fully.

It's too early to draw any real conclusions though. I'm still rather
suspicious of glibc on the host (just as hunch, as that version seems
to be popping up in many more bug reports than usual)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com