Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Just a heads-up, I think =sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3 is a stinker.

On 26/04/12 06:09, Michael Mol wrote:

I've had two segfaults I'd never seen before. One in sudo and one in
rdesktop. Updates later when I get things better tracked down.

Hmm. Been running 2.14.1-r2 since January, and 2.14.1-r3 since April
14. No problems (~amd64).

Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Dale

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 26/04/12 06:09, Michael Mol wrote:
>> I've had two segfaults I'd never seen before. One in sudo and one in
>> rdesktop. Updates later when I get things better tracked down.
>
> Hmm. Been running 2.14.1-r2 since January, and 2.14.1-r3 since April
> 14. No problems (~amd64).

About the same here. I'm amd64 and 4 cores running with -j10 or
something. I have not ran a emerge -e world tho. Sort of scared to try
it now. :/

Wonder why some are affected and some are not?

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Helmut Jarausch

I've had two segfaults I'd never seen before. One in sudo and one in
rdesktop. Updates later when I get things better tracked down.

I am at glibc-2.15-r1 on AMD64 with no problems so far,

Helmut.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:01:51AM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 26/04/12 06:09, Michael Mol wrote:
> > I've had two segfaults I'd never seen before. One in sudo and one in
> > rdesktop. Updates later when I get things better tracked down.
>
> Hmm. Been running 2.14.1-r2 since January, and 2.14.1-r3 since April
> 14. No problems (~amd64).

Yeah as have I, I've even rebuilt @world since installing
glibc-2.14.1-r3 on the hardened porfile on amd64 with no problems at
all.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Andrea Conti

> Ok, yes. This version of glibc, =sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3, is crud.

It's the current stable version on amd64, and you seem to be the only
one having problems with it.

I think the problem is likely with your setup (i.e. other toolchain
component, CFLAGS, ...).

> least, if you're doing parallel building. Out of my three machines,
> the 8-core box got bit by it, the 4-core box got bit by it, but the
> 2-core laptop sailed past.

Been running 2.14.1-r3 on an amd64 16-core server for a couple of weeks.
MAKEOPTS is at -j20.

No crashes so far, emerge keeps working and the machine had no problems
rebooting after a kernel update.

andrea

Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Replacing with a binpackage from packages.gentooexperimental.org got
>>> bash working. Now I'm seeing if I can re-emerge gcc, binutils and
>>> glibc.
>>>
>>> If that goes through, I'm going to restart the emerge -e; my resume
>>> stack is probably toast.
>>
>> Ok, yes. This version of glibc, =sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3, is crud. At
>> least, if you're doing parallel building. Out of my three machines,
>> the 8-core box got bit by it, the 4-core box got bit by it, but the
>> 2-core laptop sailed past.
>>
>> I have a hunch that setting MAKEOPTS="-j1" will fix it for me, and I'm
>> letting that run as I head off to sleep in a few minutes.
>
> Note, my experiences and instructions are specific to amd64 boxes. I
> don't know if other boxes are affected, and the workaround I'm writing
> below is not appropriate for anything but amd64.
>
> Incidentally, you'll know if your box got bit if you do a large set of
> emerges which include building glibc, and everything after glibc's
> 'Install' phase fails. Don't trust emerge's output; at this point,
> bash is segfaulting on startup, which makes emerge utterly unreliable,
> even as it tries to tell you the cause for errors.
>
> DO NOT close your open shells; you won't be able to launch bash until
> you've fixed this.
>
> To work around, you'll need a root shell. If you have any shell at
> all, you should be able to get a root shell by running
>
> *sudo busybox sh
>
> in any of your remaining shells which have sudoer access.
>
> grab
>
> *glibc-2.14.1-r3.tbz2
>
> from
>
> *http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/packages/amd64-unstable/sys-libs/
>
> using wget. At least in my situation, wget still worked. Move the
> tarball to your / directory:
>
> *mv glibc-2.14.1-r3.tbz2 /
>
> and unpack it
>
> *tar xvjpf glibc-2.14.1-r3.tbz2
>
> You should now have bash back, which means you'll have emerge back,
> and probably the rest of your system.

MAKEOPTS="-j1" didn't fix it. Off to find another solution.
--
:wq

Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Qian Qiao

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:40, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> MAKEOPTS="-j1" didn't fix it. Off to find another solution.
> --
> :wq

Does sound like it's just you. I've been running with MAKEOPTS="-j13"
and everything compiled and ran just fine.

-- Joe

Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Doug Hunley

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 04:47, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> I am at glibc-2.15-r1 on AMD64 with no problems so far,

ditto here

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Web:

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:40, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> MAKEOPTS="-j1" didn't fix it. Off to find another solution.
>> --
>> :wq
>>

> Does sound like it's just you. I've been running with MAKEOPTS="-j13"
> and everything compiled and ran just fine.

Checking to see if it's a distcc problem, now. If it is, it'll only be
the third time I've ever had issues from distcc, and the first time a
distcc issue resulted in a successful build of a package that broke
things.

--
:wq

Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> Checking to see if it's a distcc problem, now. If it is, it'll only be
> the third time I've ever had issues from distcc, and the first time a
> distcc issue resulted in a successful build of a package that broke
> things.

Just to cover all possibilities... since everyone else is saying it's
not a problem for them -- have you run a memory test?