Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
James

Default 3.2.12 Kenel wont boot

Hello,

OK, I manage quite a few gentoo systems.
ONE of them is being a BIT _ _ ! and I cannot
figure out what is obviously simple....

I have already migrated most system that I manage
to the 3.2.12 kernel (not testing kernels for me
at this time).

Background: The system is an old HP AMD dual core laptop:
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56

The error message is this:

Root-NFS: no NFS server address
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, try floppy
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda4" or unknown block (2,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option;
here are the available partitions:
oboo 1048575 sr0 driver:sr

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : Unable to
mount root fs on unknown block(2,0)
PID:1,comm : swapper /0
Not tainted 3.2.12-gentoo#2

The other (3) series kernels boot and run just fine:
from grub.conf:
title= Linux 3.2.1-gentoo
root(hd0,1)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.1-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
title= Linux 3.2.12-gentoo
root(hd0,1)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.12-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
title= Linux 3.0.6-gentoo
root(hd0,1)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6-gentoo root=/dev/sda4

I can even scp over a kernel from a single processor AMD64
laptop and it boots and runs just fine.

When I make a new kernel, I do what I have done for years
with Gentoo:

cd /usr/src
rm linux
ln -sf <latest.kernel> linux
cd linux
make menuconfig <save any changes>
make && make models_install

cp System.map /boot/System.map-3.2.12-gentoo
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-3.2.12-gentoo
cp .config /boot/config-3.2.12-gentoo

So all I can think of is NFS is the difference?
I cannot seem to flesh out way the new kernel will
not boot on this system and many others are just fine....

maybe I'm missing support for the "sr" driver ?

ideas?

James

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Simon

The error just means it cannot find any device called /dev/sda4, but can only find your CD (sr0).

I get this when booting from a usbkey and I need to tell the kernel to wait 5-10 seconds before detecting hdds.* I also had this error when I used a config from my "normal" computers onto an older computer that used IDE and PATA (these were disabled in kernel).

Good luck!

[...]

title= Linux 3.2.1-gentoo

root(hd0,1)

kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.1-gentoo root=/dev/sda4

title= Linux 3.2.12-gentoo

Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Seong-ho Cho

well ... what is filesystem of sr? then ... did you check that
filesystem item [M] instead of[*] ??
if you want to use some specific file system you may make sure whether
you checked correspond filesystem by * or not.

I don't know how did you set many objects but I believe that you
already know what this problem causes

Cheers

Seong-ho, Cho

Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Dale

James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OK, I manage quite a few gentoo systems.
> ONE of them is being a BIT _ _ ! and I cannot
> figure out what is obviously simple....
>
> I have already migrated most system that I manage
> to the 3.2.12 kernel (not testing kernels for me
> at this time).
>
> Background: The system is an old HP AMD dual core laptop:
> AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56
>
> The error message is this:
>
> Root-NFS: no NFS server address
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, try floppy
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda4" or unknown block (2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option;
> here are the available partitions:
> oboo 1048575 sr0 driver:sr
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : Unable to
> mount root fs on unknown block(2,0)
> PID:1,comm : swapper /0
> Not tainted 3.2.12-gentoo#2
>
> The other (3) series kernels boot and run just fine:
> from grub.conf:
> title= Linux 3.2.1-gentoo
> root(hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.1-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
> title= Linux 3.2.12-gentoo
> root(hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.12-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
> title= Linux 3.0.6-gentoo
> root(hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
>
> I can even scp over a kernel from a single processor AMD64
> laptop and it boots and runs just fine.
>

> When I make a new kernel, I do what I have done for years
> with Gentoo:
>
> cd /usr/src
> rm linux
> ln -sf <latest.kernel> linux
> cd linux
> make menuconfig <save any changes>
> make && make models_install
>
> cp System.map /boot/System.map-3.2.12-gentoo
> cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-3.2.12-gentoo
> cp .config /boot/config-3.2.12-gentoo
>

> So all I can think of is NFS is the difference?
> I cannot seem to flesh out way the new kernel will
> not boot on this system and many others are just fine....
>
> maybe I'm missing support for the "sr" driver ?
>
> ideas?
>
> James

OK. I'm used to looking for something stupid that I do so I can't help
but notice something missing. In the list of commands for the new
kernel, I notice the command to copy the old config over is missing.
You did copy the config over right?

When I run into this, it's because I forgot to put the root file system
type in the kernel. Example: The root partition has ext3 and I forgot
to build it into the kernel. Some people out of habit build it has a
module which also doesn't work. ^_^

Also, make sure the stage files are in /boot too.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 25.04.2012 22:55, schrieb Dale:
> James wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> OK, I manage quite a few gentoo systems.
>> ONE of them is being a BIT _ _ ! and I cannot
>> figure out what is obviously simple....
>>
>> I have already migrated most system that I manage
>> to the 3.2.12 kernel (not testing kernels for me
>> at this time).
>>
>> Background: The system is an old HP AMD dual core laptop:
>> AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56
>>
>> The error message is this:
>>
>> Root-NFS: no NFS server address
>> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, try floppy
>> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda4" or unknown block (2,0)
>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option;
>> here are the available partitions:
>> oboo 1048575 sr0 driver:sr
>>
>> Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : Unable to
>> mount root fs on unknown block(2,0)
>> PID:1,comm : swapper /0
>> Not tainted 3.2.12-gentoo#2
>>
>> The other (3) series kernels boot and run just fine:
>> from grub.conf:
>> title= Linux 3.2.1-gentoo
>> root(hd0,1)
>> kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.1-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
>> title= Linux 3.2.12-gentoo
>> root(hd0,1)
>> kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.12-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
>> title= Linux 3.0.6-gentoo
>> root(hd0,1)
>> kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6-gentoo root=/dev/sda4
>>
>> I can even scp over a kernel from a single processor AMD64
>> laptop and it boots and runs just fine.
>>

>> When I make a new kernel, I do what I have done for years
>> with Gentoo:
>>
>> cd /usr/src
>> rm linux
>> ln -sf <latest.kernel> linux
>> cd linux
>> make menuconfig <save any changes>
>> make && make models_install
>>
>> cp System.map /boot/System.map-3.2.12-gentoo
>> cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-3.2.12-gentoo
>> cp .config /boot/config-3.2.12-gentoo
>>

>> So all I can think of is NFS is the difference?
>> I cannot seem to flesh out way the new kernel will
>> not boot on this system and many others are just fine....
>>
>> maybe I'm missing support for the "sr" driver ?

Like Simon said, sr is your optical drive. I guess you are missing
something in the HDD driver stack. Maybe you should post your kernel
config and lspci.

Or, like Simon suggested, the drives don't spin up fast enough.

> OK. I'm used to looking for something stupid that I do so I can't help
> but notice something missing. In the list of commands for the new
> kernel, I notice the command to copy the old config over is missing.
> You did copy the config over right?

Thought the same. Using `make oldconfig` is also highly recommended.

> When I run into this, it's because I forgot to put the root file system
> type in the kernel. Example: The root partition has ext3 and I forgot
> to build it into the kernel. Some people out of habit build it has a
> module which also doesn't work. ^_^

I think that is a different error ("unknown super block", "unsupported
features" or something similar).

Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
James

Florian Philipp <lists <at> binarywings.net> writes:

> Thought the same. Using `make oldconfig` is also highly recommended.

I removed the questionable 3.2.12 sources
and downloaded them fresh; and used the
make oldconfig

Working now.....

thx,