-   -   Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/659318-anyone-setup-gentoo-archos-101-a.html)

walt 04-24-2012 10:49 PM

Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101

On 04/24/2012 01:07 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 24/04/2012 21:46, James wrote:
>>

>> http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en

I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
>> on any Archos tablet.
>>

>> James
>>

> i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo. i know
> that there is an ubunut version that works on it but just installing
> gentoo like this can be tough.

This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.

The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
your experiments go bad. Am I being too optimistic here?

Eliezer Croitoru 04-24-2012 11:22 PM

Anyone setup Gentoo on an Archos 101

I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo

on any Archos tablet.

James

i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo. i know
that there is an ubunut version that works on it but just installing
gentoo like this can be tough.

This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.

The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
your experiments go bad. Am I being too optimistic here?

well it's kind of more then simple to restore cause they have some
"bios" like thing that you can restore the device basic os with it.
but the thing is that it works with initramfs and some rootfs that i
dont even know how to understand.

so i left it as is.

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il

Michael Mol 04-24-2012 11:55 PM

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/24/2012 01:07 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>> On 24/04/2012 21:46, James wrote:
>>>

>>> http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en
>>>

> I'm just curious if anyone has attempted to put Gentoo
>>> on any Archos tablet.
>>>

>>> James
>>>

>> i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo. i know
>> that there is an ubunut version that works on it but just installing
>> gentoo like this can be tough.
>
> This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.
>
> The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
> OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
> your experiments go bad. *Am I being too optimistic here?

They've been fairly open for ages. When I was in high school, they had
a portable MP3/MPEG player out that you could put Linux on. This was
just after the first-gen iPod, IIRC, and long before the iPod Touch
was a glimmer in Jobs' eye.

--
:wq

James 04-25-2012 03:47 PM

Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer <at> ngtech.co.il> writes:

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/tabletpc.html?country=kg&lang=en

> >> i have one and i dont want to risk it's usage with gentoo.
> > This is the first I've heard of Archos, and it seems to me like a great idea.

> > The company says you can install any OS you want, and you can even dual-boot
> > OS's -- so that *seems* to imply that you can re-install the factory OS if
> > your experiments go bad. Am I being too optimistic here?

> well it's kind of more then simple to restore cause they have some
> "bios" like thing that you can restore the device basic os with it.
> but the thing is that it works with initramfs and some rootfs that i
> dont even know how to understand.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to ponder this a bit more.

James