Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Michael Mol

Default genkernel assistance building initramfs

So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my own
initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
systems ready before that.

Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
command I need to run is:

genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs

and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.

The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
#gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:

13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your system

I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically says
not to file build errors as bug reports.

So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
working.

I've attached genkernel.log

--
:wq

Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Dale

Michael Mol wrote:
> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my own
> initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
> systems ready before that.
>
> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
> command I need to run is:
>
> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
>
> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
>
> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
>
> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your system
>
> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
> bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically says
> not to file build errors as bug reports.
>
> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
> still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
> working.
>
> I've attached genkernel.log

If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
/usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
not need the init thingy after all.

Go figure.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen

Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Michael Scherer

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Mol wrote:
> > So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
> > really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
> > own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
> > systems ready before that.
> >
> > Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
> > command I need to run is:
> >
> > genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
> >
> > and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
> >
> > The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
> > #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
> >
> > 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
> > 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your
> > system
> >
> > I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
> > bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
> > says not to file build errors as bug reports.
> >
> > So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
> > still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
> > working.
> >
> > I've attached genkernel.log
> >

> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
> /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
> not need the init thingy after all.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I wouldn't bet on that.

But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
that does just that: load /usr.
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
have an initramfs.
There's also a more general introduction
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
for a lot of other options

michael

Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Dale

Michael Scherer wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
> Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Michael Mol wrote:
>>> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
>>> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
>>> own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
>>> systems ready before that.
>>>
>>> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
>>> command I need to run is:
>>>
>>> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
>>>
>>> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
>>>
>>> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
>>> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
>>>
>>> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
>>> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your
>>> system
>>>
>>> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
>>> bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
>>> says not to file build errors as bug reports.
>>>
>>> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
>>> still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
>>> working.
>>>
>>> I've attached genkernel.log
>>>

>> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
>> /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
>> not need the init thingy after all.
>>
>> Go figure.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> I wouldn't bet on that.
>
> But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
> that does just that: load /usr.
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
> It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
> have an initramfs.
> There's also a more general introduction
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
> for a lot of other options
>
> michael

I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.

You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
thingy to work huh?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Michael Scherer

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:01:09 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Scherer wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
> > Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still
> >> support /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went
> >> through, we may not need the init thingy after all.
> >>
> >> Go figure.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-) :-)
> >>

> > I wouldn't bet on that.
> >
> > But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
> > that does just that: load /usr.
> > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
> > It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
> > have an initramfs.
> > There's also a more general introduction
> > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
> > for a lot of other options
> >
> > michael
> >

> I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
> it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.
>
> You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
> thingy to work huh?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Indeed, I missed all but one email, but there was no hint
at all that anything had been said before I came in.
Sorry for my unsolicited comments, and I hope you have
solved that problem in one or another way.

michael

Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:52:41 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:

> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my own
> initramfs,

The kernel make process can create the initramfs for you, although you
have to give it a configuration and init file to work with. Everything
else is done automatically, including the current versions of all
required files in the kernel.

--
Neil Bothwick

What colour is a chameleon on a mirror?