Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Michael Sullivan

Default OT - New kernel and now xv won't work with mplayer

First off, this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it
on google. I've spent the last several hours searching for the answer
to this and I can't find it.

I recently switched from a gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r8 kernel to a
gentoo-sources-3.2.1-r2 kernel. A lot of my processes were freezing up
with a DL+ ps status and I read somewhere that uninterruptible sleep was
suspected to be the fault of the kernel. I had 3.2.1-r2 source sitting
on my hard drive and I tried building it on my wife's computer and was
very happy with the results I saw there. Her computer couldn't even run
emerge without going into state D+. After booting with the 3.2.1-r2
kernel I had no problems running an emerge -uD world on it. So far I am
very happy with 3.2.1-r2 on my PC except for one thing: xv doesn't seem
to work anymore. On my old kernel, and indeed every kernel I've run on
this computer since 2005 xv has worked. I haven't changed any hardware
in this computer recently or ever. When I run mplayer I see this in the
output:

[VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
[VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
[VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
[VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
[VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

I kept reading about xvinfo included in XFree86 distribution. I use
xorg-x11. I found out that xvinfo can be emerged. I did so and it said
this:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
no adaptors present

which shouldn't be right because I've been using xv with mplayer for
years. I assumed then that it was a module problem somewhere. I hadn't
run a qlist -I -C x11-drivers/ recently so I did and remerged all the
packages there.

My video card info from lspci -v:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
Memory at ffa00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
Kernel modules: i915

I can successfully modprobe the i915 module. Everything that can be is
built with the xv USE flag on. Is there anything else I
need to do to get my xv to work with mplayer?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 23.04.2012 02:26, schrieb Michael Sullivan:
> First off, this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it
> on google. I've spent the last several hours searching for the answer
> to this and I can't find it.

[...]
> So far I am
> very happy with 3.2.1-r2 on my PC except for one thing: xv doesn't seem
> to work anymore. On my old kernel, and indeed every kernel I've run on
> this computer since 2005 xv has worked. I haven't changed any hardware
> in this computer recently or ever. When I run mplayer I see this in the
> output:
>
> [VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
> [VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
> [VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
> [VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
> [VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
>

> I kept reading about xvinfo included in XFree86 distribution. I use
> xorg-x11. I found out that xvinfo can be emerged. I did so and it said
> this:
>
> X-Video Extension version 2.2
> screen #0
> no adaptors present
>

> which shouldn't be right because I've been using xv with mplayer for
> years. I assumed then that it was a module problem somewhere. I hadn't
> run a qlist -I -C x11-drivers/ recently so I did and remerged all the
> packages there.
>
> My video card info from lspci -v:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
> Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
[...]
> I can successfully modprobe the i915 module. Everything that can be is
> built with the xv USE flag on. Is there anything else I
> need to do to get my xv to work with mplayer?

Can you run mplayer with -vo gl?
Do other video players have the same problem, e.g. VLC?

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Michael Sullivan

On 04/23/12 02:27, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 23.04.2012 02:26, schrieb Michael Sullivan:
>> First off, this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it
>> on google. I've spent the last several hours searching for the answer
>> to this and I can't find it.
>>
> [...]
>> So far I am
>> very happy with 3.2.1-r2 on my PC except for one thing: xv doesn't seem
>> to work anymore. On my old kernel, and indeed every kernel I've run on
>> this computer since 2005 xv has worked. I haven't changed any hardware
>> in this computer recently or ever. When I run mplayer I see this in the
>> output:
>>
>> [VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
>> [VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
>> [VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
>> [VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
>> [VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
>> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
>>

>> I kept reading about xvinfo included in XFree86 distribution. I use
>> xorg-x11. I found out that xvinfo can be emerged. I did so and it said
>> this:
>>
>> X-Video Extension version 2.2
>> screen #0
>> no adaptors present
>>

>> which shouldn't be right because I've been using xv with mplayer for
>> years. I assumed then that it was a module problem somewhere. I hadn't
>> run a qlist -I -C x11-drivers/ recently so I did and remerged all the
>> packages there.
>>
>> My video card info from lspci -v:
>>
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
>> Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
> [...]
>> I can successfully modprobe the i915 module. Everything that can be is
>> built with the xv USE flag on. Is there anything else I
>> need to do to get my xv to work with mplayer?
>>

> Can you run mplayer with -vo gl?
> Do other video players have the same problem, e.g. VLC?
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

mplayer -vo gl runs fine, as long as I don't maximize it, like I usually
do. xine is the same. vlc seems to work well, but I prefer mplayer.
It's what I've always used, and would like it back if I can figure this
out...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/12 02:27, Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 23.04.2012 02:26, schrieb Michael Sullivan:
>>> First off, this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it
>>> on google. *I've spent the last several hours searching for the answer
>>> to this and I can't find it.
>>>
>> [...]
>>> So far I am
>>> very happy with 3.2.1-r2 on my PC except for one thing: *xv doesn't seem
>>> to work anymore. * On my old kernel, and indeed every kernel I've run on
>>> this computer since 2005 xv has worked. *I haven't changed any hardware
>>> in this computer recently or ever. *When I run mplayer I see this in the
>>> output:
>>>
>>> [VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
>>> [VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
>>> [VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
>>> [VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
>>> [VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
>>> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
>>>

>>> I kept reading about xvinfo included in XFree86 distribution. *I use
>>> xorg-x11. *I found out that xvinfo can be emerged. *I did so and it said
>>> this:
>>>
>>> X-Video Extension version 2.2
>>> screen #0
>>> *no adaptors present
>>>

>>> which shouldn't be right because I've been using xv with mplayer for
>>> years. *I assumed then that it was a module problem somewhere. *I hadn't
>>> run a qlist -I -C x11-drivers/ recently so I did and remerged all the
>>> packages there.
>>>
>>> My video card info from lspci -v:
>>>
>>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
>>> Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>>> * * *Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
>> [...]
>>> I can successfully modprobe the i915 module. *Everything that can be is
>>> built with the xv USE flag on. *Is there anything else I
>>> need to do to get my xv to work with mplayer?
>>>

>> Can you run mplayer with -vo gl?
>> Do other video players have the same problem, e.g. VLC?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Florian Philipp
>>

> mplayer -vo gl runs fine, as long as I don't maximize it, like I usually
> do. *xine is the same. *vlc seems to work well, but I prefer mplayer.
> It's what I've always used, and would like it back if I can figure this
> out...

Which series video card are you using? (nVidia, ATI, Intel...) Which driver?

--
:wq

Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Michael Sullivan

On 04/23/12 09:27, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Can you run mplayer with -vo gl?
>>> Do other video players have the same problem, e.g. VLC?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Florian Philipp
>>>

>> mplayer -vo gl runs fine, as long as I don't maximize it, like I usually
>> do. xine is the same. vlc seems to work well, but I prefer mplayer.
>> It's what I've always used, and would like it back if I can figure this
>> out...
>
> Which series video card are you using? (nVidia, ATI, Intel...) Which driver?

Is this the information you want? If not, how do I find out the
information on the video card. I know almost nothing about hardware
except what software can tell me...

Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/12 09:27, Michael Mol wrote:

>>> mplayer -vo gl runs fine, as long as I don't maximize it, like I usually
>>> do. *xine is the same. *vlc seems to work well, but I prefer mplayer.
>>> It's what I've always used, and would like it back if I can figure this
>>> out...
>>
>> Which series video card are you using? (nVidia, ATI, Intel...) Which driver?
>>

> Is this the information you want? *If not, how do I find out the
> information on the video card. *I know almost nothing about hardware
> except what software can tell me...
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
> Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> * * * *Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
> * * * *Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
> * * * *Memory at ffa00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
> * * * *I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
> * * * *Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
> * * * *Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
> * * * *Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
> * * * *Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
> * * * *Kernel modules: i915

Ok, so you're using an Intel graphics chipset, managed via the
kernel's i915 module. According to Wikipedia, the 82915G, GV and GL
models are circa 2004/2005, and so are very old. It's very possible
you've encountered a regression. I had something similar happen a few
years ago with my 845-based system.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you should take this from here.

--
:wq

Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Michael Sullivan

On 04/23/12 11:05, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Which series video card are you using? (nVidia, ATI, Intel...) Which driver?
>>>

>> Is this the information you want? If not, how do I find out the
>> information on the video card. I know almost nothing about hardware
>> except what software can tell me...
>>
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
>> Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
>> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
>> Memory at ffa00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
>> I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
>> Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
>> Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
>> Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
>> Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
>> Kernel modules: i915
>
> Ok, so you're using an Intel graphics chipset, managed via the
> kernel's i915 module. According to Wikipedia, the 82915G, GV and GL
> models are circa 2004/2005, and so are very old. It's very possible
> you've encountered a regression. I had something similar happen a few
> years ago with my 845-based system.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know where you should take this from here.

Thank you for your help. Even if you haven't solved my problem, I know
now that I've done everything to try to solve it that you know of...
-Michael Sullivan-

Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Michael Sullivan

On 04/23/12 11:05, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Which series video card are you using? (nVidia, ATI, Intel...) Which driver?
>>>

>> Is this the information you want? If not, how do I find out the
>> information on the video card. I know almost nothing about hardware
>> except what software can tell me...
>>
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
>> Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5647
>> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
>> Memory at ffa00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
>> I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
>> Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
>> Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
>> Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
>> Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
>> Kernel modules: i915
>
> Ok, so you're using an Intel graphics chipset, managed via the
> kernel's i915 module. According to Wikipedia, the 82915G, GV and GL
> models are circa 2004/2005, and so are very old. It's very possible
> you've encountered a regression. I had something similar happen a few
> years ago with my 845-based system.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know where you should take this from here.
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel

I was just poking around my /usr/portage/x11-drivers directory and I saw
that my x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel version 2.17.0-r3 was installed
yesterday and it thinks I should downgrade. I'm going to try
downgrading. I'll let you know if it works...

Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

very happy with 3.2.1-r2 on my PC except for one thing: xv doesn't seem
to work anymore.

Why 3.2.1-r2? Try 3.2.12 and 3.2.14. Many bugs were fixed since 3.2.1.
If that doesn't help, try 3.3.3.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 23.04.2012 20:26, schrieb Michael Sullivan:
> On 04/23/12 11:05, Michael Mol wrote:

[...]
[...]
>>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL
>>> Integrated Graphics Controller (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

[...]
>>> Kernel modules: i915
>>
>> Ok, so you're using an Intel graphics chipset, managed via the
>> kernel's i915 module. According to Wikipedia, the 82915G, GV and GL
>> models are circa 2004/2005, and so are very old. It's very possible
>> you've encountered a regression. I had something similar happen a few
>> years ago with my 845-based system.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't know where you should take this from here.
>> x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
>
> I was just poking around my /usr/portage/x11-drivers directory and I saw
> that my x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel version 2.17.0-r3 was installed
> yesterday and it thinks I should downgrade. I'm going to try
> downgrading. I'll let you know if it works...

Or try the next higher: 2.18.0
Maybe the regression was already fixed.