Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default sys-libs/glibc-2.15-r1

Just browsed the changelog of glibc-2.15:

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00836.html

When I read the NEWS section there with all that "optimized" stuff I
wonder if it makes any sense to rebuild packages here after upgrading glibc?

Stefan

Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Sonntag, 22. April 2012, 19:52:16 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> Just browsed the changelog of glibc-2.15:
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00836.html
>
> When I read the NEWS section there with all that "optimized" stuff I
> wonder if it makes any sense to rebuild packages here after upgrading glibc?

no, because it is a library. You make use of it anyway.

--
#163933

Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 22.04.2012 20:05, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:

> no, because it is a library. You make use of it anyway.

Ah, yes, sure ... thanks for the explanation.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Just browsed the changelog of glibc-2.15:

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00836.html

When I read the NEWS section there with all that "optimized" stuff I
wonder if it makes any sense to rebuild packages here after upgrading glibc?

I think you're a bit confused about how shared libraries work. The
major reason for their existence is that when you update a shared
library, everything that was linked against it will use the updated
version. So if you installd glibc-2.15, all packages will now use that
version instead of 2.14.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 22.04.2012 20:18, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:

> I think you're a bit confused about how shared libraries work. The
> major reason for their existence is that when you update a shared
> library, everything that was linked against it will use the updated
> version. So if you installd glibc-2.15, all packages will now use that
> version instead of 2.14.

Yes, you and Volker are right, I wasn't fully aware of that fact.
Thanks, Stefan

Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Apr 23, 2012 1:09 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann" <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 22. April 2012, 19:52:16 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> > Just browsed the changelog of glibc-2.15:

> > http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00836.html

> > When I read the NEWS section there with all that "optimized" stuff I

> > wonder if it makes any sense to rebuild packages here after upgrading glibc?

> no, because it is a library. You make use of it anyway.

What about statically linked packages?

Rgds,

Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 AM

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:12:48 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2012 1:09 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann"
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Am Sonntag, 22. April 2012, 19:52:16 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> > > Just browsed the changelog of glibc-2.15:
> > >
> > > http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00836.html
> > >
> > > When I read the NEWS section there with all that "optimized"
> > > stuff I wonder if it makes any sense to rebuild packages here
> > > after upgrading
> glibc?
> > >

> > no, because it is a library. You make use of it anyway.
> >

> What about statically linked packages?
>
> Rgds,

Bless those who keeps on telling people there is no need to rebuild
packages after glibc upgrade, for they must have not used pam or any
other packages that uses dlopen().

Kerwin.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Graham Murray

kwkhui@hkbn.net writes:

> Bless those who keeps on telling people there is no need to rebuild
> packages after glibc upgrade, for they must have not used pam or any
> other packages that uses dlopen().

So which packages need to be rebuilt? Owing to the initial
non-availability of the patch file, glibc was the last package I built
before rebooting. So far I have seen no problems. I can log in as both
user and root, su works, X and KDE are running OK.

glibc is normally very good at maintaining backward compatibility, using
versioned symbols.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Rebuilt everything. Congrats

Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Strange, never had problems in that regard.