Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Mick

Default Correct syntax for /etc/conf.d/modules

I am getting confused about the syntax that openrc is meant to follow ...

One box of mine that uses modules ran some script at the time that I upgraded
to openrc and it added my currently running modules into /etc/conf.d/modules.

The syntax was like so:

modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} cls_tcindex"
module_cls_tcindex_args_2_6="

Things moved on and with newer kernel versions I went to update the file after
I had a look at the documentation:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

Well there is no ${modules_2_6} shown in the examples so I removed it from my
/etc/conf.d/modules. The new syntax was now:

modules_3_2="cls_tcindex"

and guess what? No modules loaded at all when I reboot. :-/

I had to add ${modules_3_2} in there to get things going again.

However 'echo ${modules_3_2}' on the CLI does not show anything. Can you
please explain why this variable is needed for modules to load up again and
why it is not shown in the documentation?
Mick

Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 21.04.2012 20:56, schrieb Mick:
> I am getting confused about the syntax that openrc is meant to follow ...
>
> One box of mine that uses modules ran some script at the time that I upgraded
> to openrc and it added my currently running modules into /etc/conf.d/modules.
>
> The syntax was like so:
>
> modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} cls_tcindex"
> module_cls_tcindex_args_2_6="
>
> Things moved on and with newer kernel versions I went to update the file after
> I had a look at the documentation:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>
> Well there is no ${modules_2_6} shown in the examples so I removed it from my
> /etc/conf.d/modules. The new syntax was now:
>
> modules_3_2="cls_tcindex"
>
> and guess what? No modules loaded at all when I reboot. :-/
>

> I had to add ${modules_3_2} in there to get things going again.
>
> However 'echo ${modules_3_2}' on the CLI does not show anything. Can you
> please explain why this variable is needed for modules to load up again and
> why it is not shown in the documentation?

I guess it is "modules_3" now. With the transition to 3.x, the numbering
scheme has changed and minor numbers change much more frequently.

You can also simply use "modules=" unless you have a reason for
distinguishing between versions. At least, that's what I use here.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 04-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Mick

On Sunday 22 Apr 2012 00:20:38 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 21.04.2012 20:56, schrieb Mick:
> > I am getting confused about the syntax that openrc is meant to follow ...
> >
> > One box of mine that uses modules ran some script at the time that I
> > upgraded to openrc and it added my currently running modules into
> > /etc/conf.d/modules.
> >
> > The syntax was like so:
> >
> > modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} cls_tcindex"
> > module_cls_tcindex_args_2_6="
> >
> > Things moved on and with newer kernel versions I went to update the file
> > after
> >
> > I had a look at the documentation:
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
> >
> > Well there is no ${modules_2_6} shown in the examples so I removed it
> > from my /etc/conf.d/modules. The new syntax was now:
> >
> > modules_3_2="cls_tcindex"
> >
> > and guess what? No modules loaded at all when I reboot. :-/
> >

> > I had to add ${modules_3_2} in there to get things going again.
> >
> > However 'echo ${modules_3_2}' on the CLI does not show anything. Can you
> > please explain why this variable is needed for modules to load up again
> > and why it is not shown in the documentation?
>
> I guess it is "modules_3" now. With the transition to 3.x, the numbering
> scheme has changed and minor numbers change much more frequently.
>
> You can also simply use "modules=" unless you have a reason for
> distinguishing between versions. At least, that's what I use here.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Florian Philipp

Thanks Florian,

I did try:

modules="cls_tcindex"
modules_3="cls_tcindex"
modules_3_2="cls_tcindex"
modules_3_2="${modules_3_2} cls_tcindex"

and only the last one actually loads. I don't understand how this works or
what ${modules_3_2} does ... but following the documentation recommended
syntax won't autoload modules at boot here.

PS. Is there a way to check if a particular syntax will load *without* having
to reboot each time I make a change?
Mick

Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 08:02:13 +0100, Mick wrote:

> modules_3_2="cls_tcindex"
> modules_3_2="${modules_3_2} cls_tcindex"
>
> and only the last one actually loads. I don't understand how this
> works or what ${modules_3_2} does ...

The first one replaces the contents of modules_3_2 with cls_tcindex, the
second adds cls_tcindex to any existing contents of modules_3_2. They are
the string equivalents of

x=1
x=x+1

--
Neil Bothwick

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Mick

On Sunday 22 Apr 2012 09:16:43 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 08:02:13 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > modules_3_2="cls_tcindex"
> > modules_3_2="${modules_3_2} cls_tcindex"
> >
> > and only the last one actually loads. I don't understand how this
> > works or what ${modules_3_2} does ...
>
> The first one replaces the contents of modules_3_2 with cls_tcindex, the
> second adds cls_tcindex to any existing contents of modules_3_2. They are
> the string equivalents of
>
> x=1
> x=x+1

Awww! I see! So, if I have a list of modules on separate lines; e.g.

modules_3_2="x"

modules_3_2="y"

modules_3_2="z"

only module z will load - unless I add the ${modules_3_2} string!

It makes sense now. Thank you for explaining this! :-)
Mick