Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 PM

Default Length of a video...

Hi,

is there a way to determine the playing length of a video file in
minutes without playing the while file?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to determine the playing length of a video file in
> minutes without playing the while file?

Depends on the file. If the file has an index and/or sufficient
metadata, yes. If not, you'll have to decode the sequence of frames
and sum each frame's display time. (Videos whose framerate changes
halfway through suck...)

Either way, I'd suggest looking at 'ffmpeg' manpage.

There may be a better tool for your purposes...what's the context?

--
:wq

Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:27:37 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> is there a way to determine the playing length of a video file in
> minutes without playing the while file?

Use midentify, part of mplayer.

midentify filename | grep LENGTH

--
Neil Bothwick

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 AM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [12-04-22 02:28]:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:27:37 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > is there a way to determine the playing length of a video file in
> > minutes without playing the while file?
>
> Use midentify, part of mplayer.
>
> midentify filename | grep LENGTH
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
> skydive twice.

Thanks a lot Neil! Works as a charm!

Have a nice Sunday!
Best regards,