FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Dale
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

Philip Webb wrote:
> 120421 Dale wrote:
>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
>>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>> We can dream I guess.
>
> Yes & why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??
>


I would imagine udev saw something different and renamed it. It's not
the first time something like this has happened. I doubt it will be the
last either. Udev is hard to predict for sure.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 
Old 04-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

On 21/04/12 17:25, Philip Webb wrote:

120421 Dale wrote:

Philip Webb wrote:

You actually have to remove the offensive file
from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !

That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
We can dream I guess.


Yes& why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
-- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??


So that eth0 still works. It can't know that what you have is a new
mobo rather than you having added an additional NIC.


Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.


Do a:

dmesg | grep -i firmware

and check for firmware loading errors.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Stroller
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

On 21 April 2012, at 15:25, Philip Webb wrote:

> 120421 Dale wrote:
>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
>>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>> We can dream I guess.
>
> Yes & why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??

Because it knows the NIC with the MAC address of 11:22:33:aa:bb:cc always has to be eth0.

It found a new NIC, and eth0 wasn't available for the new NIC.
So the new NIC was granted the first available etcX allocation.

This is a real pain if you insist on thinking about it in terms of "I always expect there to be an eth0" or "the first card should always be eth0".

But if you were to slap a second NIC into the system and - hey! - suddenly the original network card didn't work any more because they've been allocated the wrong way around, then this would make perfect sense to you.

I mean, you could find yourself sorting that problem out, then the next time you reboot the two interfaces swap identities again (either randomly or for some obscure reasons that I can imagine) - that's really problematic if the two are now physically connected to different networks the wrong way around and you're firewalled out from them. This applies especially if you're hundreds of miles away from the machine which, from experience, happens far more often than one might wish or imagine (although I guess, to be fair, it only takes 1 or 2 or 3 occasions per decade for this to be far too bleedin' often).

It is really freakin' useful to know that an interface number is *always* going to match up with the server's physical socket marked "net1".

Stroller.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Dale
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 21/04/12 17:25, Philip Webb wrote:
>> 120421 Dale wrote:
>>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
>>>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
>>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>>> We can dream I guess.
>>
>> Yes& why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
>> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
>> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??
>
> So that eth0 still works. It can't know that what you have is a new
> mobo rather than you having added an additional NIC.
>
> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
>
> Do a:
>
> dmesg | grep -i firmware
>
> and check for firmware loading errors.
>
>
>


So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
kernel. I never did like modules much.

This goes to show, it doesn't hurt to read a thread even if you can't
help.

Thanks Nikos. You helped two people.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

On 21/04/12 18:55, Dale wrote:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

[...]
Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.

Do a:

dmesg | grep -i firmware

and check for firmware loading errors.


So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
kernel. I never did like modules much.


The kernel source doesn't have any firmware files in it, so it doesn't
matter whether you build the drivers into the kernel or as modules; the
firmware isn't there in either case.


However, this particular driver (r8169), says in its description that
building as a module is recommended. However, it doesn't give you any
explanation as to why this recommendation is made. I suppose the driver
developer was working for Apple previously :-P


Anyway, "dmesg | grep -i firmware" should tell you whether you actually
even need the firmware. If you don't get a firmware loading error in
dmesg, then you don't need it and your problem is not related. In that
case, you belong to the (quite large) group of people for which only the
net-misc/r8168 driver works reliably (which unfortunately doesn't always
support the latest linux kernel.)
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Dale
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 21/04/12 18:55, Dale wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
>>> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
>>> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
>>> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
>>>
>>> Do a:
>>>
>>> dmesg | grep -i firmware
>>>
>>> and check for firmware loading errors.
>>
>> So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
>> for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
>> don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
>> kernel. I never did like modules much.
>
> The kernel source doesn't have any firmware files in it, so it doesn't
> matter whether you build the drivers into the kernel or as modules; the
> firmware isn't there in either case.
>
> However, this particular driver (r8169), says in its description that
> building as a module is recommended. However, it doesn't give you any
> explanation as to why this recommendation is made. I suppose the driver
> developer was working for Apple previously :-P
>
> Anyway, "dmesg | grep -i firmware" should tell you whether you actually
> even need the firmware. If you don't get a firmware loading error in
> dmesg, then you don't need it and your problem is not related. In that
> case, you belong to the (quite large) group of people for which only the
> net-misc/r8168 driver works reliably (which unfortunately doesn't always
> support the latest linux kernel.)
>
>
>


Something like this:

root@fireball / # dmesg | grep -i firmware
[ 10.138253] r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: unable to load firmware patch
rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw (-2)
root@fireball / #

Looks like I found the fix for this problem. Yeppie !!

I don't use modules because a long time ago is was recommended not to.
So far, I have seen no reason to change that. Sort of like using the
init thingy. I may start using modules, when there is good reason to do
so. I'm just a old fart that likes the old ways of doing some things.
LOL I still don't like the init thingy although I am using one. :/

Thanks much. I can leave google alone now.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. < dale makes note of that command. May come in handy one day. >

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 
Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 09:06:08 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Thanks again for the help : I'm now back in my 2007 machine
> > & able to send e-mails. You actually have to remove the offensive
> > file from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !

The problem here is that the file is created automatically, so renaming
the old one to not end in .rules new cause it to be ignored, but a
one will be created.

> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too. I do wish we
> could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.

The correct way to disable it is to set

persistent_net_disable="no"

in /etc/conf.d/udev


--
Neil Bothwick

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.
 
Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Dale
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 09:06:08 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>>> Thanks again for the help : I'm now back in my 2007 machine
>>> & able to send e-mails. You actually have to remove the offensive
>>> file from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
>
> The problem here is that the file is created automatically, so renaming
> the old one to not end in .rules new cause it to be ignored, but a
> one will be created.
>
>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too. I do wish we
>> could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
>
> The correct way to disable it is to set
>
> persistent_net_disable="no"
>
> in /etc/conf.d/udev
>
>


I was referring to the files in /etc/portage with that. Although, I
didn't know you could get it to ignore the ones for udev either, other
than deleting/removing them of course.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

On Saturday 21 April 2012 16:21:31 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

*

> Do a:

>

> dmesg | grep -i firmware

>

> and check for firmware loading errors.

*

I have what seems to be the same network hardware, so I did what you said and duly found an error. I hadn't had any obvious network performance problems but I emerged linux-firmware anyway.

*

After the next reboot (without any firmware loading errors) kmail couldn't send any e-mails, complaining each time that it was unable to create an SMTP packet (I think that's what it said).

*

So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.

*

Go figure. :-)

*

--

Rgds

Peter

*
 
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM
David W Noon
 
Default new mobo : Eth0 recovered

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:50:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered:

[snip]
> So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.

We all noticed that you are using KMail once more, because you are
sending HTML messages with a huge font and bold typeface to the list.

Any chance of you reconfiguring KMail not to send HTML messages?
Please ... pretty please ... :-)
--
Regards,

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org