Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Philip Webb

Default new mobo : no Eth0

Having solved the problem of booting -- thanks for all the advice -- ,
the next & hopefully remaining obstacle is that Dhcpcd can't find Eth0.

I've used 'lspci | grep Eth', which gives "Realtek Semiconductor
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)",
so I enabled CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY in the kernel, but no improvement.
'syslog' lists "Gigabit Ethernet Driver loading ...
eth0 : RTL8168e/8111e ... ": do those "e's" make a difference ?

The mobo manual mentions "LAN RJ45" & "PCIe Gigabit LAN";
a mobo review via Google mentions "LAN: Qualcomm Atheros Gb LAN".

The mobo is P5G41T-M LX PLUS by Asus.

Does anyone have suggestions ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> Having solved the problem of booting -- thanks for all the advice -- ,
> the next & hopefully remaining obstacle is that Dhcpcd can't find Eth0.
>
> I've used 'lspci | grep Eth', which gives "Realtek Semiconductor
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)",
> so I enabled CONFIG_REALTEK_PHY in the kernel, but no improvement.
> 'syslog' lists "Gigabit Ethernet Driver loading ...
> eth0 : RTL8168e/8111e ... ": do those "e's" make a difference ?
>
> The mobo manual mentions "LAN RJ45" & "PCIe Gigabit LAN";
> a mobo review via Google mentions "LAN: Qualcomm Atheros Gb LAN".
>
> The mobo is P5G41T-M LX PLUS by Asus.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions ?

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Find the line that includes ( NAME="eth0" ) ... then find the part of
that line that says ATTR{address}=="whatever-your-MAC-address-is", and
change it to reflect the MAC address of your onboard NIC.
--
:wq

Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Andrea Conti

> Does anyone have suggestions ?

Your logs show that the interface is being detected and is named 'eth0'.
If you can't see eth0 at the end of the boot process, the device node
has probably been renamed by udev (you should see it as eth1, e.g. in
the output of "ifconfig -a"). So:

# rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

and reboot

andrea