Old 04-21-2012, 03:27 AM
赵佳晖

Default How can i remove the xfce clearly?

I just install the xfce a few days ago, But i find i didn't like it . So i want to remove it and install the Gnome . How can i remove the xfce clearly ?*
--
好好**,天天向上!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 21.04.2012 05:27, schrieb 赵佳晖:
> I just install the xfce a few days ago, But i find i didn't like it . So
> i want to remove it and install the Gnome . How can i remove the xfce
> clearly ?
>
> --
> 好好**,天天向上!!!

Gnome and Xfce share many libraries. Therefore it is best to install
Gnome first, before removing Xfce. Otherwise you will remove libraries
which you will later re-emerge for Gnome.

Then you need to configure your display manager (kdm, gdm, xdm) to use
Gnome instead of Xfce. Kdm and Gdm should allow you to do that directly
on the login screen.

When you are satisfied with Gnome, edit /var/lib/portage/world and
remove every line containing an Xfce package. Then run `emerge -av
--depclean` and you are done.

You could continue to remove config files but that is usually not worth
the trouble.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 AM
赵佳晖

Thank you for your answer ,
Philipp*.I will tried it later

在 2012年4月21日 下午3:45,Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>写道:

Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Mick

On Saturday 21 Apr 2012 08:45:49 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 21.04.2012 05:27, schrieb 赵佳晖:
> > I just install the xfce a few days ago, But i find i didn't like it . So
> > i want to remove it and install the Gnome . How can i remove the xfce
> > clearly ?
>
> Gnome and Xfce share many libraries. Therefore it is best to install
> Gnome first, before removing Xfce. Otherwise you will remove libraries
> which you will later re-emerge for Gnome.
>
> Then you need to configure your display manager (kdm, gdm, xdm) to use
> Gnome instead of Xfce. Kdm and Gdm should allow you to do that directly
> on the login screen.
>
> When you are satisfied with Gnome, edit /var/lib/portage/world and
> remove every line containing an Xfce package. Then run `emerge -av
> --depclean` and you are done.
>
> You could continue to remove config files but that is usually not worth
> the trouble.

Also, follow the advice on the screen when you run 'emerge --depclean -p'
which is to run revdep-rebuild afterward to rebuild any dependencies. Such
dependencies may have been broken from uninstalling packages with depclean,
(man revdep-rebuild gives you more information).

Mick

Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
赵佳晖

OK,Thank you

在 2012年4月21日 下午5:20,Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>写道:

Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:45:49AM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 21.04.2012 05:27, schrieb ??????:
> > I just install the xfce a few days ago, But i find i didn't like it . So
> > i want to remove it and install the Gnome . How can i remove the xfce
> > clearly ?
> >
> > --
> > ????????????????????????
>
> Gnome and Xfce share many libraries. Therefore it is best to install
> Gnome first, before removing Xfce. Otherwise you will remove libraries
> which you will later re-emerge for Gnome.
>
> Then you need to configure your display manager (kdm, gdm, xdm) to use
> Gnome instead of Xfce. Kdm and Gdm should allow you to do that directly
> on the login screen.
>
> When you are satisfied with Gnome, edit /var/lib/portage/world and
> remove every line containing an Xfce package. Then run `emerge -av
> --depclean` and you are done.
>
> You could continue to remove config files but that is usually not worth
> the trouble.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Florian Philipp

Do I understand you correctly that it is not necessary to run emerge
-unmerge first before removing the atoms from @world and running emerge
--depclean?

Terry

Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Mick

On Saturday 21 Apr 2012 19:39:56 ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:45:49AM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > Am 21.04.2012 05:27, schrieb ??????:
> > > I just install the xfce a few days ago, But i find i didn't like it .
> > > So i want to remove it and install the Gnome . How can i remove the
> > > xfce clearly ?
> >
> > Gnome and Xfce share many libraries. Therefore it is best to install
> > Gnome first, before removing Xfce. Otherwise you will remove libraries
> > which you will later re-emerge for Gnome.
> >
> > Then you need to configure your display manager (kdm, gdm, xdm) to use
> > Gnome instead of Xfce. Kdm and Gdm should allow you to do that directly
> > on the login screen.
> >
> > When you are satisfied with Gnome, edit /var/lib/portage/world and
> > remove every line containing an Xfce package. Then run `emerge -av
> > --depclean` and you are done.
> >
> > You could continue to remove config files but that is usually not worth
> > the trouble.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Florian Philipp
>
> Do I understand you correctly that it is not necessary to run emerge
> -unmerge first before removing the atoms from @world and running emerge
> --depclean?
>
> Terry

Yes.

The --depclean option will remove any packages that are not in
/var/lib/portage/world and are not dependencies of other installed packages
already in /var/lib/portage/world.
Mick

Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 21.04.2012 20:39, schrieb ny6p01@gmail.com:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:45:49AM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 21.04.2012 05:27, schrieb ??????:
>>> I just install the xfce a few days ago, But i find i didn't like it . So
>>> i want to remove it and install the Gnome . How can i remove the xfce
>>> clearly ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> ????????????????????????
>>
>> Gnome and Xfce share many libraries. Therefore it is best to install
>> Gnome first, before removing Xfce. Otherwise you will remove libraries
>> which you will later re-emerge for Gnome.
>>
>> Then you need to configure your display manager (kdm, gdm, xdm) to use
>> Gnome instead of Xfce. Kdm and Gdm should allow you to do that directly
>> on the login screen.
>>
>> When you are satisfied with Gnome, edit /var/lib/portage/world and
>> remove every line containing an Xfce package. Then run `emerge -av
>> --depclean` and you are done.
>>
>> You could continue to remove config files but that is usually not worth
>> the trouble.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Florian Philipp
>>

> Do I understand you correctly that it is not necessary to run emerge
> -unmerge first before removing the atoms from @world and running emerge
> --depclean?
>
> Terry

Yes. I think it is also mentioned in the gentoo handbook. In fact, you
should not use --unmerge because it doesn't check dependencies before
removing the package.

If you want to delete a package only if no other package depends on it,
either remove it from world or use
`emerge -av --depclean <package_name>`.
The latter has the advantage of also telling you what depends on it.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 AM
赵佳晖

But it seems that the --depclean is a dangerous operate ??

在 2012年4月22日 上午7:15,Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>写道:

Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Dale

赵佳晖 wrote:
> But it seems that the --depclean is a dangerous operate ??

I use it quite often here. It's like a knife, use it carefully. Always
use the -a or -p option and check that it is not removing something I
want or need before letting it complete the removal. I prefer the -a
option since it is faster. If the list is correct, just hit "y" and let
it remove the unwanted packages.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!