Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Fetch Restriction: 1 package (1 unsatisfied)

On Monday 07 April 2008, Justin wrote:
> > Why the fetch is restricted?
> > And how to avoid this?
> > *
>
> Fetch it! Why it is fetch restricted? I don't know, but agree with
> you, that it s...!

<sigh>

The jdk from Sun has been around for 10 years. Until very very recent
versions of 1.6 it has never been GPL'ed, has never been
redistributable and has *always* required that you go through Sun's
portal to get it. It used to be worse - back in the day you used to
have to register to get it. Sun's jre however is made available on
different terms. And jdk-1.4* will never be GPL'ed.

So, you kids have not spent a whole lot of time on java.sun.com in your
lives right? And don't read many elog messages either.

Don't like it? Go speak to Sun. Got nothing to do with Gentoo.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 07 April 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:

> I wonder if this is a bug in the ebuild. sun-jdk used to be
> fetch-restricted but it isn't anymore (at least the new versions). If
> anyone knows if this change applies for the 1.4-branch too, please
> file a bug.

That will never happen. Sun had third party contracts in place with
other parties that developed technologies inside previous jdk's. One of
the conditions led to the non-redistribution of the jdk.

Recent versions of sun-jdk-1.6 (or perhaps portions thereof) are now
released under GPL. If Jonathan is to be believed, this took several
years of negotiation and re-implementation

Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Dale

Justin wrote:

Igor Mikushkin schrieb:

Hello!

I have a problem.
emerge -av eclipse-sdk
failed with this:

[ebuild NSF ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4.2.17 USE="X alsa -doc -examples
-jce -nsplugin -odbc" 35,525 kB

Why the fetch is restricted?
And how to avoid this?

Fetch it! Why it is fetch restricted? I don't know, but agree with
you, that it s...!

Thanks.
Best Regards.
Igor Mikushkin

I agree, it is silly. You have to go to the website, usually listed
with the message that it is fetch restricted, then copy or move it to
/usr/portage/distfiles.

Why? Well, the idiots want you to agree to their license and the only
way they are smart enough to get you to do that is to make everything
else screwed up and for you to go to their site and get the software.
See, they are programmers that are not smart enough to come up with
anything else. Smart huh? Make you wonder about how smart their
software is yet? LOL LOL

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM
"Igor Mikushkin"

I'm just wondering why this package (sun-jdk-1.4.2.17) came into dependencies?

Sorry, I have no assess to my gentoo machine now
and I can't find out the package where it came from.

Sun-jdk-1.6.x.x is already installed and
I think eclipse can run with 1.6 as well.

Why do I need two sun-jdk's?

Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Igor Mikushkin wrote:
> I'm just wondering why this package (sun-jdk-1.4.2.17) came into
> dependencies?

equery depends -a sun-jdk

I guess you have virtual/jdk:1.4 in world which picked up the latest 1.4
jdk